Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,611,096 times

Advertisements

Education and intelligence are two different things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 08:39 PM

117 posts, read 160,790 times
Depends on the major, if you get a nonsense major like Women Studies or Art then yea it will be more liberal.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:00 PM

30,429 posts, read 52,056,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Green_50 View Post
LOL Hell no...if anything it shows lack of.

Lack of common sense and street smarts as well.
Based on what, exactly? I have now asked numerous folks to qualify their statements that the liberals and/or college-educated lack common sense - and have yet to receive a reply. Will you shock me and be the first? C'mon, you can do it!!

FYI: Not all educated people went straight through from high school, and not all are devoid of real life experiences. I didn't finish college until age 25, and graduate school at 30, due to my "real life" getting in the middle of things. Lack of street smarts? Ha! If only you knew what I have seen, done, and conquered in my life thus far.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Education and intelligence are two different things!
Of course they are, but I don't recall that being the question or discussion here. So what's your point?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:05 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,496,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Liberalism, at its core, is a desire to seek the truth. Conservatism, at its core, is, to name a few:

1) Promote, and protect, corporations and their profits.
2) Use whatever means necessary to shape public opinion.
3) Show disdain for minorities and women
4) Have no regard for the environment
5) Use religion as a tool to shape public opinion

*snore*
I would think all your education would have taught you these are propaganda points perpetuated by the liberals...

1. Gimme a break. ALL the politicians are in the corporations' pockets. And tenure...geezus...is that a goal to strive to continually be the best or get to a point and sit fat and happy?
2. The liberal media controls everything.
3. I am a triple minority - brown, female, gay
4. I am a mega-tree hugger
5. I am in no way religious

This description of yours is hardly all-encompassing and I am not part of a small faction.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Yeah, because all we hear is about how the republicans just represent the rich, corporate interests. You mean all them rich corporate guys are liberals?
They're both liberal and conservative, in reality, and I honestly don't know if the percentages skew one way or another. Around here (SF & Silicon Valley) the majority of CEOs and high-level executives are probably liberal-leaning, but things might be different in, say, Dallas or Miami.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
*snore*
I would think all your education would have taught you these are propaganda points perpetuated by the liberals...

1. Gimme a break. ALL the politicians are in the corporations' pockets. And tenure...geezus...is that a goal to strive to continually be the best or get to a point and sit fat and happy?
2. The liberal media controls everything.
3. I am a triple minority - brown, female, gay
4. I am a mega-tree hugger
5. I am in no way religious

This description of yours is hardly all-encompassing and I am not part of a small faction.
Again, he said conservatISM, not conservatIVES. Of course those points aren't all-encompassing, but they do (mostly) represent how the Republican Party "markets" itself these days. Hardly anyone who votes one way is going to fit each of those descriptions, just as not all liberals fit the stereotypes presented by certain right-leaners.

Do you believe all liberals are godless, over-educated, nanny state NIMBYs? Maybe some are, but probably more are not all of those things. For example, I consider myself somewhat religious, I can't stand nanny-type laws, have no problem with legal gun ownership, etc; and also consider myself to be generally liberal. But I would never deny those above qualities are part of the liberal platform, because at least in the case of Democrats, they kind of are.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:24 PM

P.S. If you really believe the liberal media controls everything, why do we always hear conservatives claiming FOX News is the most watched news source? Are they liberal now?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:36 PM

709 posts, read 599,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Based on what, exactly? I have now asked numerous folks to qualify their statements that the liberals and/or college-educated lack common sense - and have yet to receive a reply. Will you shock me and be the first? C'mon, you can do it!!

FYI: Not all educated people went straight through from high school, and not all are devoid of real life experiences. I didn't finish college until age 25, and graduate school at 30, due to my "real life" getting in the middle of things. Lack of street smarts? Ha! If only you knew what I have seen, done, and conquered in my life thus far.
That's easy as pie!

480 volt 3-phase Arc Flash Demonstration - YouTube

Old 04-21-2013, 09:38 PM

709 posts, read 599,090 times
Or in other words...I've never seen so many book smart people be so God dang dumb!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies