Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hip Hop-Art or Poison?
Art 23 44.23%
Poison 29 55.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Eminem*... his entire portfolio of "art", is utter trash.
At least Eminem is rapping about revelant issues he faced growing up. Lil Wayne is way worse with his recycled drugs and sex talk with his extremely lazy delivery that sounds like he is high. Don't get me started on prison cop turned wannabe drug dealer Rick Flop...errr....Ross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 11:36 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Like everything else it depends. It's not a sound I personally like but I can appreciate it better when some of the Lyrics are more like Urban Poetry. Some however I find repugnant, vile and degrading as well as aggressive and violent.

So it depends on the lyrics which are always hugely important to me with music. I have to say a lot of it shall forever remain a mystery as some of it quite frankly needs translating into English as I know it also which might diminish the message if message there is...

To me it is in essence a modern "version" of Jazz or Blues in many respects though I actually love Jazz and like Blues and am not fond of Hip-Hop.

I think some artists and bands can give a rather negative image of the medium which is a shame. This extremely white, and middle class gal often feels baffled and bemused by it but then again I am not the target audience. In many ways I think Hip-Hop aims to be as exclusive ( ie : excluding of people) as Opera is reputed to be.

I often find a lot of reverse snobbism among Hip-Hop/Rap fans which is to say the least disappointed when a lot of the style seems to deal with exclusion and social disenfranchisement.... A bit ironic IMO.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:39 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
And that is because...?
Do I really need to copy/paste his lyrics? He took rap to his own level of vile, muderous filth.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:45 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
There should have been an option for 'both', since it can be both.

The wordcraft and soundscaping involved in some hip hop is phenomenal. It's mind-blowing.

However, some of the lyrics can be poisonous.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
There should have been an option for 'both', since it can be both.

The wordcraft and soundscaping involved in some hip hop is phenomenal. It's mind-blowing.

However, some of the lyrics can be poisonous.
That about sums it up.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:51 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
I'm an advocate Hip Hop listener and an artist, and I say both lol, mainly art though, but it sure can be poisonous. I can see how some of it can be misinterpreted or jus fairly interpreted as a negative msg. Having said that, even gangsta rap got some great points and u gotta read between the lines and not take erything literally. I feel like quality Hip Hop raises important issues and teaches life in a lot of ways, and u jus gotta take the good with the bad, but take the good out and apply it. Some say it encourages criminal behavior, and I can see that, but it still mainly depends on how one is brought up and what family structure surrounds him/her. Ghettos, drugs, thugs and guns came all before gangsta rap, not because of it, jus someth to think about, and actually when hip hop was created, it was all about leading youngsters away from the gang life, thus all the b-boy battles instead.

I don't like hip hop but that's just individual taste.

My rock & roll drove my dad nutz.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Like everything else it depends. It's not a sound I personally like but I can appreciate it better when some of the Lyrics are more like Urban Poetry. Some however I find repugnant, vile and degrading as well as aggressive and violent.

So it depends on the lyrics which are always hugely important to me with music. I have to say a lot of it shall forever remain a mystery as some of it quite frankly needs translating into English as I know it also which might diminish the message if message there is...

To me it is in essence a modern "version" of Jazz or Blues in many respects though I actually love Jazz and like Blues and am not fond of Hip-Hop.

I think some artists and bands can give a rather negative image of the medium which is a shame. This extremely white, and middle class gal often feels baffled and bemused by it but then again I am not the target audience. In many ways I think Hip-Hop aims to be as exclusive ( ie : excluding of people) as Opera is reputed to be.

I often find a lot of reverse snobbism among Hip-Hop/Rap fans which is to say the least disappointed when a lot of the style seems to deal with exclusion and social disenfranchisement.... A bit ironic IMO.
the biggest consumers of hip hop are white, but young. did you mean middle aged rather than middle class?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:54 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Do I really need to copy/paste his lyrics? He took rap to his own level of vile, muderous filth.
Well if you are incapable of writing in your own words a critical analysis of his music, I suppose that would have to suffice. Of course such an incapability would put Eminen a few steps ahead of you when one considers that we usually acknowledged that those who can find self-expression through art forms such as music, written word, and visual mediums as artist.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:02 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times
compare this
"Heard 'Em Say"
(feat. Adam Levine of Maroon 5)

Wake up Mr. West [echoes]

[Kanye West]

Uh, Yeah, Uh, yeah, uh, yeah, uh, yeah

[Piano drops]

And I heard 'em say, nothin ever promised tomorrow today.
From the Chi, like Tim its the Hard-a-way,
So this is in the name of love, like Robert says
Before you ask me to get a job today, can I at least get a raise on a minimum wage?
And I know the government administered AIDS,
So I guess we just pray like the minister say,
Allah o Akbar and throw em some hot cars,
Things we see on the screen are not ours,
But these *****s from the hood so these dreams not far,
Where im from, the dope boys is the rock stars,
But they can't cop cars without seein' cop cars,
I guess they want us all behind bars.
I know it.

[Chorus (Adam Levine)]
Uh, And I heard 'em say, nothin ever promised tomorrow today.
(ooooooooo)
(Nothing's ever promised tomorrow today.)
But we'll find a way
(And nothing lasts forever but be honest babe, it hurts but it may be the only way)

[Kanye]
They say people in your life are seasons,
And anything that happen is for a reason,
And *****s guns a clappin and keep to squeezin',
And Gran (Grandma) keep prayin' and keep believin',
And Jesus and one day that ya see him,
Till they walk in his footsteps and try to be him,
The devil is alive I feel him breathin',
Claimin' money is the key so keep on dreamin',
And put them lottery tickets just to tease us,
My aunt Pam can't put those cigarettes down,
Now my lil cousin smokin those cigarettes now,
His job trying to claim that he too ******ish now,
Is it cuz his skin blacker than licorice now?
I can't figure it out...
Im Stickin around....

[Chorus (Adam Levine)]
Uh, And I heard 'em say, nothin ever promised tomorrow today.
(ooooooooo)
(Nothing's ever promised tomorrow today.)
But we'll find a way
(And nothing lasts forever but be honest babe, it hurts but it may be the only way)

(Cuz every worthless word we get more far away, and nothing's ever promised tomorrow today,
And nothing lasts forever but be honest babe, it hurts but it may be the only way)

[Beat Changes]

to this
[kanye west in clique]
Break records at Louis
Ate breakfast at Gucci
My girl a superstar all from a home movie
Bow on our arrival the unamerican idols
What *****s did in Paris got em hanging off the Eiffel
Yeah I’m talking business
We talking CIA
I’m talking George Tenet
I seen him the other day
He asked me about my Maybach
Think he had the same
Except mine tinted and his might have been rented
You know white people get money don’t spend it
Or maybe they get money, buy a business
I rather buy 80 gold chains and go ig’nant
I know Spike Lee gon kill me but let me finish
Blame it on the pigment, we living no limits
Them gold master p ceilings was just a figment
Of our imagination, MTV cribs
Now I’m looking at a crib right next to where TC lives
That’s Tom Cruise, whatever she accuse
He wasn’t really drunk he just had a few brews
Pass the refreshment a cool cool beverage
Everything I do need a news crew presence
Speed Boat swerve homie, watch out for the waves
I’m way too black to burn from sun rays
So I just meditated the home in Pompeii
About how I could build a new Rome in one day
Every time I’m in Vegas they screaming like he’s Elvis
But I just wanna design hotels and nail it
**** is real got me feelin’ Isrealian
Like Bar Refaeli Gisele, no that's Brazilian
Went through deep depression when my momma passed
Suicide what kind of talk is that
But I’ve been talking to God for so long
That if have you look in my life I guess he talking back
****in’ with my clique

sad. this is what happens when the $$$$$ takes over the art

Old 04-22-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well if you are incapable of writing in your own words a critical analysis of his music, I suppose that would have to suffice. Of course such an incapability would put Eminen a few steps ahead of you when one considers that we usually acknowledged that those who can find self-expression through art forms such as music, written word, and visual mediums as artist.
You are a painfully petulant person. I'm guessing you know this, already?

But since you asked...

Let's take the song "3 A.M." as an example.

I will not copy and paste the lyrics, as you can do your own research - but here are some bullet points:

-Talks about shoving a flashlight up Kim Kardashians ass (which I find funny, but in a disgusting way)
-Talks about the blood and bodies all over his floor, can't remember but must've killed them
-Talks about jerking off to Hannah Montana in her Disney show and blowing "it" all over his wall
-Dismembering a family member and drinking his blood

and on, and on, and on - rinse, repeat his entire music career.

Yay for music, yay for humanity, this guy's a lyrical genius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies