Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 03:56 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Obama close Guantanamo Bay. I'm not sure why they are so upset...
I agree, and even started a thread on this earlier today (no takers as of yet).

But I say that Guantanamo should be handed back to Cuba seeing as it's their territory anyway.

Seems like neo-colonialism to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 05:20 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
This one's on me. You do the rest of your googling.

Gitmo Detainees Return to Field of Battle | Washington Free Beacon
That indicates some return to assist terror groups, I don't question that some actually do just the number. Holding someone for 11 years because they might have been involved with Al Queda is rather punitive don.t you think. I don't question the conditions are pretty good at Guantanamo.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:29 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That indicates some return to assist terror groups, I don't question that some actually do just the number. Holding someone for 11 years because they might have been involved with Al Queda is rather punitive don.t you think. I don't question the conditions are pretty good at Guantanamo.
Ever stop to think there might be a very good reason those people are held? First, everyone complained it was Bush holding these people. The left up in arms about it. Complaining he was a war criminal, etc.

Obama said on his FIRST day in office he was going to close it. He didn't. He didn't even come close. Funny how the left is fairly silent on this issue and NO ONE is calling Obama a war criminal. However, I digress.

Obama gets into office and is briefed by his advisors as to why Gitmo CANNOT be closed. There are serious security concerns with shutting it down and releasing some of those persons. And yes, like it or not, YOU DON'T have the need to know, nor the right to know what those security concerns are (even though Obama said you did and was going to have a transparent government).

Here is a simple, get used to it fact: For THIS or any other government, no matter who is running it, there are issues, secrets, etc the general population is no privy too, nor should they be. Gitmo is a perfect example. Those "people" are there for a reason and belong there. If they want to starve themselves to death, let them.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:11 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Some of these detainees have been in jail for 11 years with no charges, when does it end?

Guantanamo Bay hunger strike grows; over half of prisoners refusing to eat | abc7.com

Good

Old 04-23-2013, 06:13 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
I agree, and even started a thread on this earlier today (no takers as of yet).

But I say that Guantanamo should be handed back to Cuba seeing as it's their territory anyway.

Seems like neo-colonialism to me.

Gee Ken- That is an interesting statement toward a nation that ejected the Japanese from your country. Now how do you think you would be doing today, had the US simply allowed the Japanese to continue thier occupation of the Phillipines? Did Battan and Manilla show you nothing?

Old 04-23-2013, 06:21 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Obama said he was going to close it, then he found out all the facts about the people being held there and decided not to close it after all. That, more than anything, tells me it needs to remain in opporation. I could care less if they refuse to eat, their choice.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:24 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Ever stop to think there might be a very good reason those people are held? First, everyone complained it was Bush holding these people. The left up in arms about it. Complaining he was a war criminal, etc.

Obama said on his FIRST day in office he was going to close it. He didn't. He didn't even come close. Funny how the left is fairly silent on this issue and NO ONE is calling Obama a war criminal. However, I digress.

Obama gets into office and is briefed by his advisors as to why Gitmo CANNOT be closed. There are serious security concerns with shutting it down and releasing some of those persons. And yes, like it or not, YOU DON'T have the need to know, nor the right to know what those security concerns are (even though Obama said you did and was going to have a transparent government).

Here is a simple, get used to it fact: For THIS or any other government, no matter who is running it, there are issues, secrets, etc the general population is no privy too, nor should they be. Gitmo is a perfect example. Those "people" are there for a reason and belong there. If they want to starve themselves to death, let them.
If there is a good reason to keep them incarcerated then let's have it, make it public instead of hiding behind a secret veil. We know more about Ben Laden's capture and the people involved than the reason an individual was arrested years ago.

Guantanamo cannot be closed without funding and congress would not provide the money, they are afraid of backlash from their constituents if these individuals were moved to federal prisons stateside. History will look back on this as a travesty, same as when the Japanese citizens were stripped of their possessions and placed in camps

Old 04-23-2013, 12:29 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,856,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually thats a lie. Congress has to re-authorize funds for it, and the President signs off on it.
what's a lie? Congress has to approve funds to close GITMO and move the prisoners to the U.S.

so what's the frickin lie?

Old 04-23-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Do you have a link, is it "most" or "some", since when so we intern people for this length of time without charges.
it's closer to 4% that have returned to the battlefield according to CNN
Commentary: How many Gitmo prisoners return to fight? - CNN.com

Old 04-23-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Obama said he was going to close it, then he found out all the facts about the people being held there and decided not to close it after all. That, more than anything, tells me it needs to remain in opporation. I could care less if they refuse to eat, their choice.

Obama wants it closed but congress wouldn't allocate funds to close it. That's the fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies