Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:39 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,948,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by putlocker View Post
I don't care that her oldest son was shot and run over by her younger son. I also don't care that the younger son will be rear raped for the rest of his life. I just don't care, GOD IS GREAT. lol
I so glad you have absolutly no power but to push keys on a keyborad. no power no voice.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:41 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
It is the here and now where the muslims are today.. not too many extremist Christians , but there are many muslims that go to training camps to learn how to commit terrorism.
I guess it depends on how you define "many". Since Muslims number in the billions globally, the VAST majority of them don't engage in terrorism at all.

And many Christians do engage in terrorism, a case in point would be in Serbia, Chechnya, Bosnia. The thing is we who live in the United States and Europe are exposed to a narrative that blames the Muslim extremists on their Muslim faith, while Christian extremists are painted as extremists and their faith is held blameless. When you are exposed to other narratives, the Muslim extremists are often acting out for reasons that go well beyond their faith.

And the bottom line is that the Muslim faith and the Christian faith are sibling faiths. Muslims, Jews, and Christians all worship the god of Abraham. Their teachings are all rooted in the same book, the Old Testament.

While these three faiths compete against one another, killing and blaming each other, they aren't really three separate faiths. They are three related faiths, that have much, much more in common than any differences. And the more extremist the member of one of these faiths, the more likely that extremist is to focus on the differences. Radicalism, by its very nature, must focus on the differences to fuel the anger and the hatred.

You, actually, lean toward extremism. Your posts about the Muslim faith are all about focusing on the differences between Christianity and Islam, and they are full of anger and hatred. And what you say and post doesn't fall on deaf ears, it falls on the very receptive ears of other extremists. Who either share your views and feel validated by your hate and anger, or either are Muslim extremists, who similarly feel their hate and anger towards Christian is validated. Extremists are the problem. By expressing extremist positions, you are part of the problem.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:41 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,210,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The sisters seem to have distanced themselves too. I hear that there are relatives in their native region that said they believed the older brother was capable of such an act.

I have been wondering why the mother and father sought political asylum in the USA, but now are back in the place they fled. This entire thing reeks.
The Dad was beaten and interrogated by the KGB, so they came here on political aslyum. Since Dagestan is still controlled by Russia, I'm not sure why they're back there either, unless the political situation has calmed down. My understanding of the struggle in that region between Russia and countries like Chechnya and Dagestan are shaky at best. Someone else here may be able to explain that situation easily, but it sounds extremely complicated to me.

My only guess is that they had to leave because they were in danger from the KGB, and if the situation settled down and they were no longer in danger, they wanted to go back home. That may or may not be the case.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:44 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,948,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Notice how hard Obama comes accross against Americans,, but so very soft to the muslims.. his bias. His beliefs, his baggage. We are not equal in Obama's eyes. Muslims will be favored over Americans.

In Obama's book :

In “Audacity of Hope” he writes: “I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.” The quote comes from page 261 of the paperback edition of “The Audacity of Hope.
Obama is against idiots that think they are America...yeah, I see that.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:03 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,210,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
By the way, McNeigh was strongly anti-government, not Christian.
You claim to be a Christian, but I have a hard time believing you. You would realize these specific Old Testament laws of thousands of years ago you bring up don't apply to today. So why bring it up? Are there Christian terrorists currently using these to commit mass murder? If not, it's not relevant. Why try to incorrectly infer that McVeigh's motives had anything to do with religion?

Stirring the pot to divert, it seems.
So now I'm not a Christian because I'm saying something that you disagree with? You just made my point about religious extremists.

I'm a mainline protestant. Denominations like mine believe the Bible was divinely inspired, but that scripture--particularly the Old Testament--has to be taken into the context of the historical situation and the cultural norms of the time when it was written. As a mainline Christian, of course I believe that Christ was the son of God who came to give us salvation through grace and truth.

The problem is that lots of other Christians--particularly extremist evangelical fundamentalist Christians--treat the Old Testament as the "law." They use the Old Testament to justify just about every hateful, ignorant thing that comes out of their mouths. If that wasn't the case, we wouldn't have so many anti-science Christians running around claiming the world is 6000 years old and that Jesus rode dinosaurs. Just like most Christians, most Muslims believe that the Quran has to be taken in context.

And for the record--Tim McVeigh was influenced heavily by the Christian Identity Movement, which is the Christian version of Al Qaeda.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Identity

Last edited by mb1547; 04-24-2013 at 09:12 AM..

Old 04-24-2013, 09:29 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The Dad was beaten and interrogated by the KGB, so they came here on political aslyum. Since Dagestan is still controlled by Russia, I'm not sure why they're back there either, unless the political situation has calmed down. My understanding of the struggle in that region between Russia and countries like Chechnya and Dagestan are shaky at best. Someone else here may be able to explain that situation easily, but it sounds extremely complicated to me.

My only guess is that they had to leave because they were in danger from the KGB, and if the situation settled down and they were no longer in danger, they wanted to go back home. That may or may not be the case.
What troubles me about this is that the mother was aware of the radical change in her son and yet had no problem knowing that he had an influence on her younger son who she left behind. Yes, I have thought about the fact that they had gone back due to a change in the political climate there and maybe to be closer to family there, but IMO...she did not care if the younger son become radicalized as well.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:

Actually the mother was caught shoplifting in 2012. Usually that means deportation.

As well it should.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,057,585 times
Quote:
So now I'm not a Christian because I'm saying something that you disagree with? You just made my point about religious extremists.

I'm a mainline protestant. Denominations like mine believe the Bible was divinely inspired, but that scripture--particularly the Old Testament--has to be taken into the context of the historical situation and the cultural norms of the time when it was written. As a mainline Christian, of course I believe that Christ was the son of God who came to give us salvation through grace and truth.

The problem is that lots of other Christians--particularly extremist evangelical fundamentalist Christians--treat the Old Testament as the "law." They use the Old Testament to justify just about every hateful, ignorant thing that comes out of their mouths. If that wasn't the case, we wouldn't have so many anti-science Christians running around claiming the world is 6000 years old and that Jesus rode dinosaurs. Just like most Christians, most Muslims believe that the Quran has to be taken in context.

And for the record--Tim McVeigh was influenced heavily by the Christian Identity Movement, which is the Christian version of Al Qaeda.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Identity
I don't disagree with most of what you say here. However, you were one of the first to come out in the thread in a dismissive way by trying to change the topic to events of the past and a different religion. I have a problem with this. You are grasping just a little to try and draw some sort of parallel... why?
And McVeigh's primary drive was an anti-government, not religious one. These are simply not comparable to the worldwide Islamist jihad in recent events. The "but, but" comparisons are more of a diversion than anything worthwhile for anyone who wants the world to be a safer place.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:40 AM

15,535 posts, read 10,512,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The sisters seem to have distanced themselves too. I hear that there are relatives in their native region that said they believed the older brother was capable of such an act.

I have been wondering why the mother and father sought political asylum in the USA, but now are back in the place they fled. This entire thing reeks.
Yes it does, I do hope they are looking to see if the parents were part of the plot.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:45 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by putlocker View Post
But lets let more of them in to the country. Good going leftie idiots.

Amazing, isn't it?

Despite the majority of "immigrants" (illegal and legal) being worthless bums, the libs want more. Why? It insures that democrats will be elected into office ad infinitum, as they have a larger number of dependent, idiotic constituents.

With the zeal of the left to legalize illegal immigrants and make immigration easier, one has to believe that a specific and cherished goal of the left is to destroy the US. Why would anyone in thier right mind want a large number of uneducated, unskilled people in the country who do not even speak the language? What will happen? More downward pressure on wages and larger government expenditures for entitlements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies