Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:44 AM

33,568 posts, read 18,150,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You're right--but a member of the Christian Identity movement DID kill 168 people in the Oklahoma bombing, and a anti-abortionist christian nut killed one and injured 111 in the Olympic Park bombing. I can list more. You also seem to have forgot about the fighting between Northern Ireland and the rest of the country for decades.

Since you seem incapable of getting the point, let me say it again. I'm not in any way saying that Christians are evil and they should be compared with Muslims. I'm saying that religious extremists of ANY faith are dangerous and evil. There's a big difference. Most Muslims are not extremists, and neither are most Christians. If you want to go after religious extremists in this country I'm with you--you just can't focus on one group of them because they're Muslims, try to claim that all Muslims are evil (especially for saying something like Allahu Akbar) and claim that it's anything more than bigotry. We need to round up some of the crazy anti-government Christian terrorists right along with suspected Muslim terrorists if we're going to make this country safer.
Is the mom of the bombers an extremist nut--sure. Is she an extremist nut for saying Allahu Akbar? No.
The big difference is Christians speak out when an extremist acts , but the muslims keep quiet and don't rally against terrorism.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
No. The Christian faith has a savior that was raised from the death and defeated death. Jesus was the overcomer of Satan and sin. They are not the same. Many so called Christian churches do not follow Christian principals. Some so called Christians reject the bible and call it an idol.. the Word of God an idol..
We have some really perverted messages coming out of all religions.

Some do not believe that Jesus is God. That is the main belief of Christians.

Christians believe that Jesus is the son of God AND God at the same time. But the GOD they worship is still the GOD of Abraham. Which is the same God that Jews worship. Only they don't believe the part about Jesus being God. And the Muslims worship that same GOD of Abraham. Only they believe that Jesus was a prophet, and also not God. They all worship the same God. They just each have a subset of beliefs about that God that are different from one another. Each one believes that a book is the Word of God, and the books all share the same root--the Old Testament. Each has added and taken away from the Old Testament, but the Old Testament is the foundation for each one's scriptures.

You have your beliefs, and obviously expect others to respect those beliefs and your sincerity in holding those beliefs. But somehow, you don't respect the beliefs of others. That's the basis of extremism. Extremism is when you believe so strongly that any other belief systems are a threat to you, and so you are unable to show any respect to those other belief systems or to their believers. And your inability to afford respect to others is perceived as a threat to those others, and drives them to embrace extremism.

If you spent any time looking for the commonalities between the three religions, rather than focusing on the differences, you might find that you could relate to these other believers, understand their perspective. For some reason, some people are frightened by that possibility. Some people don't like empathy. They don't like seeing the world from a different viewpoint. And yet, that is the real key to humanity. Our ability to empathize is the building block that allows us to form communities, to help one another, to work together.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
The big difference is Christians speak out when an extremist acts , but the muslims keep quiet and don't rally against terrorism.
That's untrue. Muslims speak out, and rally against terrorism, in exactly the way Christians do. But in a Christian-majority nation, we blame the religion when religious extremists aren't Christian, but we blame other factors when the religious extremists are Christian. The opposite is true in Muslim-majority nations, they blame other factors when the religious extremists are Muslim. Your demand isn't that Muslims speak out, but that Muslims speak out against their religion. It's an unfair demand. Just as it would be if I demanded that you speak out against Christianity because of the misdeeds of Christians.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:02 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Allahu Akbar means "God is Great." Just for the record, Muslims believe that the Jewish Torah and the Christian Bible are all holy scripture, and although they don't believe that Jesus is the Messiah, they believe he was a prophet, like Abraham. Christians, Jews and Muslims all believe in the same God, based in a common set of religious traditions based in the Quran, the Jewish Torah, and the Christian Old Testament.

How would you feel if the Mom was a Christian and she'd said this:

I don't care if my youngest son is killed. I don't care if I'm killed. I will say Praise the Lord!

I think the mom is a major nut, and she defiinitely has some Islamic fundamentalist views, but I don't think proclaiming that you love God in itself makes you a terrorist.
Well that didn't take long.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I never read that. Killing, life and death is always left up to God. Christians do not believe if you kill the infidels you will get a ticket to heaven. That is in the Koran, never the bible.
A significant portion of the Koran is borrowed directly from the Old Testament, from the Bible.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:05 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,323,407 times
Quote:
Not really.
Irish-Americans FUNDED the IRA during it's bombing campaign.
That's not exactly "speaking out against it" is it?

In fact, it wasn't until 9/11 brought international terrorism home to the US that Irish-Americand funding for the IRA dried up. THAT disappearance of funding is what motivated the IRA to negotiate with the British and end the conflict. It was in fact years of funding by CHRISTIAN Irish-Americans that allowed the IRA bombing campaign to go on for so many decades.

The fact is ANY religion can be used as a tool to drum up fervor in political struggles - and in this regard the Islamicist movement is no different from many others in the past. In all the cases, the actual goal is political in nature rather than religious, but religion is used by the terrorists/rebels/etc to "rally 'round the Cross/Scimitar etc.

Ken

PS - the mosque where one of the bombers used to attend (before he was KICKED OUT because of his disruptive behavior) has REFUSED to bury the guy. THAT'S speaking out.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 AM

33,568 posts, read 18,150,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Here's the actual quote:
  1. Of course, not all my conversations in immigrant communities follow this easy pattern. In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific reassurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction. “The Audacity of Hope,” page 261 (paperback version)
Obama doesn't care about what happened to the Japanese.. Obama is a deceiver. He will stand with the muslims and does it today . Obama could not call the terrorists at Benghazi terrorists, plus he also put out an excuse for them , excusing their actions killing 4 Americans.. it is plain to see Obama will support the muslims even when they kill Americans.. he stands with them all right.. and excuses them with the idea that a video upset them so they killed 4 Americans.. I am not buying it. You may , but I can connect the dots by Obama's actions that speak louder than his words.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:12 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,219 times
Past and present, people use Religion as a tool, too something much more bigger in scale. Any religion when people become completly obsessed with it, somehow take on a politicial radical nature.

When i was young, someone very very wise said to me, at the forefront of many of our problems past and present, will be a Religion. I thought he was nuts. No more!

Religion which is suppose to be so grandualr and good and light, so often is seen as dark, evil and bad.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:13 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,323,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Sure, the next time the IRA bombs someone, post a thread and I promise to post there.

And the same if someone shoots an abortion doctor in the name of God. I will be happy to post there and condemn them. And consider the stats behind how often those attacks happen, are they increasing, was there something about the church they were attending that led them to do that.

And I won't one time try to equivocate with 20 year old, or even 2 day old, Muslim attacks.
The point is, one doesn't HAVE to go back "hundreds of years" to find Christian terrorist attacks. There were attempts just a few months ago. The REASON Muslims have more of a tendency to be terrorists at this moment in history is because most the Muslim world is not a happy place at the moment. Those parts of the world have been poverty stricken for decades and poverty breeds anger. The terrorism is a political movement using religion as recruitment tool.. Same was true for the IRA bombings - while religion was used as a recruitment tool, the REAL reason for the terror was political.

Ken

Old 04-24-2013, 11:16 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,118,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Mom was charged with two counts of malicious/wanton damage and defacement to property after allegedly swiping $1600 in merchandise from a Lord & Taylor in Natick, Mass. in June 2012.

She was not deported because she was not convicted because she failed to show up in court. Thus the outstanding warrant.

Sort of interesting that she was caught shoplifting from Lord & Taylor and it was Lord & Taylor's ( different branch) cameras that identified her sons.

Alex Jones could have a field day with this one.
Well, an outstanding warrant would be a good enough reason to scamper off to Dagestan. I don't know and we may never know the entire psychology behind this particular mother/son relationship, but if some of the things that are coming to light are true, as far as her own type of radicalization concerning her conspiracy 9/11 theories, she held some kind of sway over her impressionable sons as mothers very often do. If this is the case, she has herself to blame for a son that will likely rot in prison and one that is on a cold slab in the morgue. Karma is a *****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies