Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 02:33 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Before everyone gets too carried away by this brain research, I want to sound a word of caution. A while back, NPR did a story about either DNA or brain research concerning criminals. One of the reporters had his brain/DNA analyzed and was horrified to find he fit the protocol for being a vile criminal. Unfortunately, NPR has a worse search engine even than CD, and I could not find the story, though I've been looking. Anyway, the reporter's point, supported by the researchers, was that just because one's brain has these "markers", that doesn't really mean anything. One of these articles I wish to heck I'd bookmarked. (I checked all my bookmarks, believe me.)
I absolutely get what you're saying about DNA, but they're talking more about behavioral changes with traumatic brain injury and chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE)--the degenerative neurological disease found in people who've sustained continued head trauma from sports like boxing and football. The researchers in Boston asking for the autopsy are some of the top in that field internationally.

http://www.alzforum.org/new/pdf/McKee.pdf
FCA: Coping with Behavior Problems after Head Injury

EDIT--If you go to the alzforum link, evidently the researchers in Boston have established some sort of brain bank of people suffering from the disease for research purposes. They outline the symptoms, which includes increasingly aggressive, erratic behavior. It's a form of brain trauma induced dementia.

Last edited by mb1547; 04-24-2013 at 02:43 PM..

Old 04-24-2013, 02:37 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes! This one!
A Neuroscientist Uncovers A Dark Secret : NPR

Thank you so much! I'll rep you if I can, and if I can't, I'll do it eventually. Everyone should read this before getting too hung up on this brain stuff.

That's not to say that the defense won't try to use some information like this. I'd like to be on that jury. (Don't live in MA.)
NPR's site is horrible to navigate due to so much stuff. Just google the name or context of the article you are looking for in your web browser and add "NPR" on the end of that...voila! Glad I could help. It drives me crazy when I cannot find an article that I want to retrieve.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:43 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,925,643 times
If it makes all you feel better, the dead suspect's Mosque is refusing to bury him: NYPD chief: Bombing suspects may have been headed for NYC to party - U.S. News

Quote:
In Russia, the brothers’ aunt said that a Boston-area mosque has refused to hold a funeral for Tamerlan Tsarnaev.

American authorities have told the family that they can have Tsarnaev’s body, and an uncle approached the mosque to request a burial and funeral but was declined, said the aunt, Patimat Suleimanova.

Earlier this week, Imam Talal Eid of the Islamic Institute of Boston, a separate institution, told The Huffington Post: “I would not be willing to do a funeral for him. This is a person who deliberately killed people. There is no room for him as a Muslim.”

Old 04-24-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I repped him for you. And because these articles are very interesting.
Thanks for the rep...btw...that would be "her".

Old 04-24-2013, 02:46 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Good to know! I'm a "her", too!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I'd rep you too but I can't--it's all fascinating stuff!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
If it makes all you feel better, the dead suspect's Mosque is refusing to bury him: NYPD chief: Bombing suspects may have been headed for NYC to party - U.S. News
That pretty much says it all....

Old 04-24-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'd rep you too but I can't--it's all fascinating stuff!
Getting back to the OP...It t seems that the mother might have been talking about her younger son as being killed, not him killing someone else...

Quote:
The mother said of her surviving son “If they are going to kill him. I don’t care. My oldest son is killed, so I don’t care. I don’t care if my youngest son is going to be killed today.” Anybody who ever called their own mother the worst mother in the world owes her an apology. To be fair, the woman is distraught. But you get the feeling that she is constantly distraught. Mom added “I want the world to hear this. And, I don’t care if I am going to get killed too.” Well then, you’re in the right place, living in Dagestan.
Randi Rhodes

Just WOW!

Old 04-24-2013, 04:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
I absolutely get what you're saying about DNA, but they're talking more about behavioral changes with traumatic brain injury and chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE)--the degenerative neurological disease found in people who've sustained continued head trauma from sports like boxing and football. The researchers in Boston asking for the autopsy are some of the top in that field internationally.

http://www.alzforum.org/new/pdf/McKee.pdf
FCA: Coping with Behavior Problems after Head Injury

EDIT--If you go to the alzforum link, evidently the researchers in Boston have established some sort of brain bank of people suffering from the disease for research purposes. They outline the symptoms, which includes increasingly aggressive, erratic behavior. It's a form of brain trauma induced dementia.
Yes, I'm aware of that stuff, too, as I work with adolescents, including a lot who do sports. Concussions are receiving a lot of attention right now. However, Tamerlan is dead, and I doubt we will have access to his brain. It will be very hard to prove he did anything d/t brain injury.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:41 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Check out Exodus 22:20, Leviticus 20:1-5, Deuteronomy 17:2-7 and see what the Old Testament says about worshiping false idols (meaning anything other than "our" God). There's plenty of rules about HAVING to kill people for failing to follow our faith in the Old Testament too.
Seems common sense would prevail.....strange people use the worst of the Bible toward their fellow human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies