Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:56 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
I'm using the same argument you used for automobiles, so you're only insulting yourself.

Its truly sad you can't see that.
I think most grown adults understand that I was being sarcastic, or do you really think I support outlawing automobiles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 04:59 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
[quote]
Quote:

First off, I'm a concealed carry permit owning, gun owning, Southern living, hunting enthusiast, Republican.

Sorry.
I guess you can be whatever you want to be on the internet. I have it hard to believe that someone in possession of a CCW would make the statement that gun owners "go home and polish their rifles and pray that someone breaks in so that they can kill them"....

That attitude just isn't indicative of someone who carries a concealed weapon for self defense themselves. That is, unless you yourself pray that someone attacks you so that you can shoot and kill them....

Old 04-24-2013, 04:59 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Obviously, if you believe in complete unrestricted access to guns in the US then you must believe that it is ok to allow potential terrorists to buy as many guns, assault weapons and ammo as anyone else too, right?
The 2nd amendment is a right granted to American citizens.

Someone on the terror watch list would never be afforded that right.

That's not to say that they can't get a gun through illegal means.

No laws can present that.

BTW....a VERY juvenile posting. IMO

Old 04-24-2013, 05:01 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Obviously, if you believe in complete unrestricted access to guns in the US then you must believe that it is ok to allow potential terrorists to buy as many guns, assault weapons and ammo as anyone else too, right?
To me here where the problem lies. What is a potential terrorist? It can fall under the realm of profiling. Many people object to that. To me it is as if I tell you "Don't shoot until he shoots at you". Take care.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:02 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Potential murderers must never have more potential than they already have to kill. Giving them potential is not something they need. Potential? The word can mean anything. Should we allow potential wife beaters to marry? Or those who have the potential to develop physical or mental illness- which is all of us to possess potential murder weapons?

People restrict the use of their weapons. Those with guns restrict themselves from abusing their weapons and do their best not to kill people. Those who lose normal control or lose their minds can not be restricted...because it is an unpredictable thing. Who would have known that the nice guy next door was so depressed or internally enraged that he kills his wife and kids - and himself. How can you predict who has what "potential?"

If all people could control themselves which they can not - if they can not restrict their negative behavior and keep it in check - then they must be restricted by some sort of laws to protect society. Weapons are dangerous..we have restrictions on those who drive cars. They must past certain tests...perhaps a test must be devised to determine who has the potential to wander over the line that marks the difference between sanity and insanity?

Old 04-24-2013, 05:03 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
[quote=k.smith904;29279133]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

First off, I'm a concealed carry permit owning, gun owning, Southern living, hunting enthusiast, Republican.

Sorry.

Second, you're right about other uses for guns, I shouldve said shooting things, not only people. My point is to illustrate that cars serve a very different purpose than guns, so to compare the two is shortsighted at best.
I wonder how the comparison would go if we did compare the two. Are more people in the USA killed by cars or guns. Do more terrorist use cars, trains, airplanes than guns. There is something for one to look up. I think more people have been killed in America by terrorist using airplanes than guns. Remember 9/11?

Old 04-24-2013, 05:07 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,218 times
[quote=NCN;29279282]
Quote:

I wonder how the comparison would go if we did compare the two. Are more people in the USA killed by cars or guns. Do more terrorist use cars, trains, airplanes than guns. There is something for one to look up. I think more people have been killed in America by terrorist using airplanes than guns. Remember 9/11?
Both kill people, I'm not disputing that in the least.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:10 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think most grown adults understand that I was being sarcastic, or do you really think I support outlawing automobiles?
Aren't adult and grown synonymous? Maybe not in your case.

You compared the two wholeheartedly as a way to mock gun restrictions, and now you're backtracking because you have no leg to stand on.

"Oh no no no, I was just joking" is an excuse that 5 year olds use.

Just stop.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:15 PM

15 posts, read 16,370 times
Instead of trying to slam guns backhandedly I would say a real question is should potential terrorists be give visas or citizenship?

Old 04-24-2013, 05:24 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Aren't adult and grown synonymous? Maybe not in your case.

You compared the two wholeheartedly as a way to mock gun restrictions, and now you're backtracking because you have no leg to stand on.
Um, not the least, I was comparing how one would know those who might potentially be terrorists, and those who might potentially be in a car accident..
Quote:
"Oh no no no, I was just joking" is an excuse that 5 year olds use.
I thought when I said "How does one know who will ponteially do something? Do you have some secret technology we should know about?"

That people would know that its a joke considering we cant possibly know who's potentially know who's going to be in a car accident

Or do you have that secret technology that many of us are unaware of..
Quote:
Just stop.
I'll stop when you stop being dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies