Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 11:48 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,441,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
The court has already tossed out the case. If you have enough money, the law doesn't apply to you.
Then don't borrow money and don't use a bank. Move your money to your mattress or form your own local Credit Union.

Pay cash for everything and cut your credit cards. Rent an apartment. Barter your services. If you believe all of what you've stated and you still participate, you're part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 12:21 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,350,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
...If you believe all of what you've stated and you still participate, you're part of the problem.
I don't know if your politics and mine line up much at all (well, they would somewhere, I reckon) but you're not wrong in what you say here.

The trouble is, as Utopian as living off the grid and away from the network/system sounds, it is too radical for most people to countenance. I get what you are saying, but the majority of people are caught up in this too deeply to face major change or the idea of shunning that network/support system mentality and step off a cliff into the unknown.

Realistically, few people are going to do that sort of thing, especially if they are pacified with microwavable food packets, 500 television channels, and a half-dozen electronic gadgets they are on when they aren't eating or watching tv. Or maybe they are just tired from working hard and they have children to worry about. People have all kinds of impetus to stay where they are and keep doing what they are doing, even if they are barey making it.

I'm not saying that great numbers of people jumping off the grid wouldn't be a positive thing, or that I wouldn't like to see it; I just don't think we're at the point where anything like that is going to happen.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:49 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,951,524 times
Much is coming out. More is likely coming. Change is a real possibility. Will be interesting.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:48 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,606,594 times
How can we stop it? We're too busy fighting amongst ourselves to affect any real change.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:01 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,022,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
The court has already tossed out the case. If you have enough money, the law doesn't apply to you.
Hey.... don't ya know that billionaires can't do any wrong? Sarcasm of course. But seriously we're the ones who give them God-like status because of their accumulated wealth.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:29 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,159,002 times
Quote:
So the entire system is rigged and fraudulent. If you can't prosecute them and you can't affect change through legislation or by voting out the insiders, your choice is to not participate.

As I stated, hope you don't have a bank account or borrow money.
Not true.

For now I'm just another poster.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:32 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,159,002 times
There was a group that was close to pulling the lever...

Then everybody turned on them.

There will be another group though. There were groups before Occupy ever surfaced.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:27 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,441,024 times
I've generally noticed that the biggest complainers are the biggest supporters of the banks and/or corporations they despise.

We see it in the Bay Area all the time. Occupy stickers on BMW's with young drivers sipping $5 coffee and wearing a $400 watch. Or young kids lined up at IKEA oblivious to the implications of buying mass-produced "furniture" shipped halfway around the globe.

My wife and I rarely ate out when we were young. I recently watched a table of "kids" drop $500 in North Beach at the same time they complained about student loans, crappy wages, and high rents. I bet half the bill was alcohol.

Vote with your wallet, as the saying goes.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:05 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,975,511 times
Quote:

Vote with your wallet, as the saying goes.
Very good advice. I was nearly shocked yesterday when I learned my friend still has an account with Bank of America. Why anyone would trust their money in this day and age in the hands of these greedy psychopathic banksters is beyond my comprehension. I use a Credit Union only but unfortunately was young and naive a few years ago and obtained a mortgage with Wells Fargo. I'm now working on getting a private loan to pay off my mortgage and I will never have to deal with these corrupt and colluded institutions again.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:30 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,534,021 times
Quote:
Then don't borrow money and don't use a bank. Move your money to your mattress or form your own local Credit Union.

Pay cash for everything and cut your credit cards. Rent an apartment. Barter your services. If you believe all of what you've stated and you still participate, you're part of the problem.

John, it's just not that easy. You make it sound like it really is easy. I use credit cards, but I learned how to avoid paying any interest. The problems arise with the costs of going to college, purchasing a car, paying taxes on everything, purchasing a home and paying for your kids college tuition. Most Americans don't have a million dollars or other assets worth a million dollars at the age of 18. Not only that, with some of your suggestions it will be difficult for people to accumulate "meaningful" wealth (not federal reserve notes). Renting your whole life doesn't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies