Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 12:20 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You really have no understanding of this world, do you? Guns are not only acquired from stealing them from "gun nuts".

Seriously, do you EVER pick up a paper?
Wow, your ability to miss the entire point is astonishing. Background checks REDUCE crime. Who ever said stealing them was the only way? You don't even make any sense. Not surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 12:20 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
You forgot to address the other half of people who would have been excluded from buying weapons: convicted felons. How can anybody want them to own guns?

What would you do about the majority of America's convicted felons owe their status to running afoul of our tough manditory jail time drug laws that don't discriminate between major drug trafficers and a young person with a few Js in his or her pocket or handbag, how about the drunk driver who had one too many and this was his 3 rd DUI, how about the shoplifter who ended up before a hanging judge, or the prostitute who turned one too many tricks and got caught in a police sting and what about the guy with one too many photos of underage models on his iPad? Do these people deserve becoming second class citizens in America stripped of fundamental rights to work in certain occupations, vote and yes own a gun. Even Jesus Christ couldn't pass a background check in modern America because he was a convicted felon and given the death penalty too!

Old 05-05-2013, 12:24 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Irresponsible gun fondlers are VICTIMS now?? That's rich!
It's completely possible for a gun to be stolen from someone and that gun owner still be a "responsible gun owner". If I lock a gun up in a safe and that safe is broken in to or stolen completely I was still a responsible gun owner. If I lock a gun up in a safe inside my truck and my entire truck is stolen I did the best I could do to be responsible. Are you grasping this basic logic?

Old 05-05-2013, 12:56 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Wow, your ability to miss the entire point is astonishing. Background checks REDUCE crime. Who ever said stealing them was the only way? You don't even make any sense. Not surprised.
Citation needed on that claim.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:02 PM

26 posts, read 19,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Citation needed on that claim.
You're spinning your wheels with logline for no good reason. This has been addressed countless times in this thread and logline simply refuses to even try to understand that of which does not fit nicely into his own point of view. He obviously has no real intention of debating this issue. He skips over posts that contain facts and instead focuses on others that he feels are easier for him to respond to.

When one is completely void of anything that even remotely resembles substance, this tends to happen - especially in online debates where you can hide behind your keyboard and pick and choose what you want to respond to.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:24 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Logline and those who follow his line of thinking, are exactly the kind of people who shouldn't be allowed to own weapons because of his/her/their inability to think rationally. Irrational people should be near anything dangerous, so they do have a point..! Log, sell your guns and keep the rest of us safe...!! We'll all sleep better tonight...
Well, how are you going to prevent Logline from getting a gun if you are opposed to any and all measures of gun control?

Old 05-05-2013, 06:54 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Lots of tea-shirts out there for you to base your principles and values on. Go to a tea shirt shop and do some research.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:25 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
10% of you will never be convinced, no matter how dangerous it is to let people like this freely acquire guns:
Garden Grove Police Seek Escaped Mental Health Patient Obsessed by Sandy Hook | NBC Southern California
I'm not against background checks, I just don't think they're going to help. I don't think any proposed gun law is going to help. No matter how much you try to limit people's access to something, they will find ways to get it if they want it. Look at Prohibition. Government outlaws consumption, buying, and making of alcohol and what do people do? Create speakeasies, bootleg, strengthen organized crime groups to the point that they're still relevant today, still drink alcohol, still make it, still sell it. In other words, they didn't care. They found ways to get their hands on alcohol. What makes anyone think outlawing guns/making them harder to obtain would be any different?

Anyway, a lot of mentally ill people haven't gotten help. Adam Lanza, for one. What would his background check have proven to anyone? He never got treatment or even a professional opinion, please correct me if I'm wrong. You need some sort of record to have a background worth looking into.

What we need to do is find ways to help our mentally ill and care better for them. The root of the problem of gun violence is mental illness and (mostly) life in urban, poorer areas. The root of the problem isn't guns or the 2nd amendment. It's the people. No matter how much you try to take guns away, you're not fixing the underlying problem of the mentality of those who go on to kill with guns, whether it's a gang member, someone involved with drugs, or a wealthy, seemingly normal father who 'snapped' and shot his whole family.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't like guns. I am not pro gun in the slightest. I just don't think attacking guns and current gun laws will help anything.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:30 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Laws, laws, and more laws. Thats what this county needs! Look , I can see where your coming from, but there is a bigger (political) picture. How many of these murders have been from law abiding citizens? So, why would stricter laws have any significant impact in mass murders? If Obama was serious about saving lives then he would push for more law enforcement, and crack down on criminals.
here is a scenario: A man speeds down a residential road at 85mph and kills 4 school kids. The cops are called, (after finishing a jelly doughnut) and they arrive on the scene. The driver is drunk, and his BAC is .35% So, here is a typical some liberal solution.
1. LOWER the speed limit on that road from 25 to 15mph. People are driving way to fast!
2. lets LOWER the legal alcohol limit from .08 to .02. We are going to crack down on drunk drivers!

Now, do you think these 2 laws will work?
This.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:33 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I have no idea, I assure you that one escaped mental patient with a pickup truck could kill a lot more than 26 kids if he tried.
Same thing : I assure you that one escaped mental patient with a hammer could kill a lot more than 26 kids if he tried. The grabbers never get it....... They seem to think there isn't any gun law at all, so they think they are making up as new..

Most of them never come to understand it is Liberal Bleeding Heart Policy gone awry, so no one will get hurt feelings is the cause of all of this.

Pretending the insane are just weak and helpless people..... who will be nice if we are nice first.

In my case if i encounter any more brain dead druggie wacko killers, I will put a bullet between his eyes, then be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies