Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 04:33 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,778,790 times

Advertisements

I graduated from college in 1989 with a classmate who got his degree in CS. He moved to Pittsburg then because it was supposed to be turning around tranistioning from steel manufacturing to Tech. He landed a good job immediately and never left. I always assummed that cities recovery was Tech driven

Old 07-09-2013, 04:44 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Um, Bill Clinton signed NAFTA into law, and Democrats have held Congress about 75% of the time over the last 40-50 years.. Give it a break with the bull crap.
Hmmm. My version of the story goes like this. NAFTA negotiations began in the mid 80's. Bush 1 signed it in 1992, subject to ratification by Congress. Clinton picked up the ball and ran with it.

In 1994, 32 Republicans and 102 Democrats house members voted in favor. NAFTA passed the Senate 61-38. Senate supporters were 34 Republicans and 27 Democrats.

It is beyond reasonable to say NAFTA was bipartisan.

BTW, it reportedly contained about $1.2 billion in unrelated pork pie.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:47 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/09/us...ml?ref=us&_r=0

This statement in the article stands out as Third World-like "If you suddenly found yourself gravely ill, injured or even shot, would you call 911?"
Years ago, I lived in Detroit and had occasion to call 911 because a lunatic neighbor was outside who had just thrown a brick through my storm door (I JUST managed to shut the door before it hit). The police showed up 3 or 4 DAYS later.

If I had stayed in Detroit, I wouldn't call 911. I'd just purchase a semi automatic rifle.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:54 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Hmmm. My version of the story goes like this. NAFTA negotiations began in the mid 80's. Bush 1 signed it in 1992, subject to ratification by Congress. Clinton picked up the ball and ran with it.

In 1994, 32 Republicans and 102 Democrats house members voted in favor. NAFTA passed the Senate 61-38. Senate supporters were 34 Republicans and 27 Democrats.

It is beyond reasonable to say NAFTA was bipartisan.
Exactly, to be ratified by Congress.. and then Clinton SIGNED IT into law.

Its not law until the President and Congress BOTH sign it.
Quote:
BTW, it reportedly contained about $1.2 billion in unrelated pork pie.
By todays standards, that was a steal...

Old 07-09-2013, 05:08 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The city declined because of the decline of the American automobile industry and the geographical shift in manufacturing. It's that simple. It has nothing to do with unspecified "liberal policies."

One can easily ask why the poorest states in the country are predominantly conservative? Liberal Massachusetts and Connecticut are America's richest state.

The ten poorest states are Alabama, Idaho, Kentucky, Montana, Louisiana, Utah, New, Mexico, West Virginia, Arkansas and
Mississippi -- according to this spreadsheet (xls). Is this because of conservative policies?

Haha, nice try!

The city declined right into the cra**er because Libstinkers are GREAT at wrecking cities. The USA and its citizens, for the most part......are very dynamic and can adapt to change. But Detroitbabwe is filled with less than optimal folks who along with their Demostinkers enablers......turned a great city into a toilet.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:21 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,745,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Haha, nice try!

The city declined right into the cra**er because Libstinkers are GREAT at wrecking cities. The USA and its citizens, for the most part......are very dynamic and can adapt to change. But Detroitbabwe is filled with less than optimal folks who along with their Demostinkers enablers......turned a great city into a toilet.
The White Liberal Preferred Habitat.
Is It Too Late To Save Detroit---Not If Liberals Democrats Are In Charge-white-liberals-preferred-habitat-gatedcommunity.jpg

Old 07-09-2013, 05:39 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,339 times
I don't think most of you have been to Detroit.

The #1 problem there is not the race riots or even race in general, the UAW, the auto industry, etc. The #1 problem is that people avoid Detroit like the plague, and therefore there's no way to support the city. If a few hundred thousand people moved back to Detroit, a lot of these problems would disappear. But instead of community building, a lot of people left and never looked back. I do think that this attitude is on the decline, however, which could bode well for the future. Most of the people I know from Detroit are aware of its significant problems, but feel the hatred is way overblown.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:46 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post

The #1 problem there is not the race riots or even race in general, the UAW, the auto industry, etc. The #1 problem is that people avoid Detroit like the plague, and therefore there's no way to support the city. If a few hundred thousand people moved back to Detroit, a lot of these problems would disappear. But instead of community building, a lot of people left and never looked back. I do think that this attitude is on the decline, however, which could bode well for the future. Most of the people I know from Detroit are aware of its significant problems, but feel the hatred is way overblown.
They left over what issues-crime and a lack of jobs? What has changed that would make returning any different than the old adage "insanity is the act of doing the same thing again and again, expecting different results"?

Old 07-09-2013, 06:01 PM

132 posts, read 182,754 times
Quote:
Nearby fracking is the basis for the turnaround in Pittsburgh. All else followed.
You obviously have no clue regarding the Pittsburgh economy. The natural gas boom has been going on for only 5-6 years or so, while the transformation of the area's economy has been going on for over 25 years.
Most of the major steel mills were closed by the early 1980's, then demolished over time.
Expansion in healthcare, education, and the tech sector has been happening for many years, well before "fracking."

Old 07-09-2013, 06:05 PM

132 posts, read 182,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post

I've been to Detroit numerous times, but not since the early 90's, and it was not looking good then.
To think that people would actually voluntarily move back to that is, to put it kindly, the apogee of wishful thinking.
Why in hell do you think they moved out in the first place? It hasn't changed into Brigadoon since they left, either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies