Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 12:12 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,646 times

Advertisements

That's the way society is nowadays. I don't think you can blame one group, party, etc.

If the Kardashian clan showed up at the mall, they would likely outdraw the number of people that would show up for the president. What does that tell us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 12:36 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
I think the news coverage on the factory collapse has been more than sufficient. As they learn something there is a new story posted. It was big news two days ago when a survivor was found. And a story today about retailers "embracing reform" :

Retailers embrace reforms in Bangladesh as search for bodies ends; death toll put at 1,127 - The Washington Post

Old 05-13-2013, 12:41 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The death toll from the April 24 Bangladesh garment-factory building collapse now stands at 1,127 lives lost. Yet we hear nothing about it! Our mainstream news is a joke.

Benghazi is nothing compared to the deaths of innocent workers killed while making profits for the overseas market. Yet we hear nothing about what American stores might even be involved in this tragedy.

We're happy to have thousands of people DIE so that we can buy a shirt for a few bucks less and as long as corporate profits stay strong. It's disgusting and no one cares.

Search for dead in Bangladesh collapse over; 1,127 killed in worst garment industry disaster - The Washington Post

Who cares? They are not "real people" i.e. Americans. There is enough news in OUR country to fill the new cycle.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:41 PM

510 posts, read 889,234 times
I thought I read that the toll would've been much higher, but many workers had left the building for a lunch break.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:46 PM

500 posts, read 376,077 times
Quote:
The death toll from the April 24 Bangladesh garment-factory building collapse now stands at 1,127 lives lost. Yet we hear nothing about it! Our mainstream news is a joke.

Benghazi is nothing compared to the deaths of innocent workers killed while making profits for the overseas market. Yet we hear nothing about what American stores might even be involved in this tragedy.

We're happy to have thousands of people DIE so that we can buy a shirt for a few bucks less and as long as corporate profits stay strong. It's disgusting and no one cares.

Search for dead in Bangladesh collapse over; 1,127 killed in worst garment industry disaster - The Washington Post
Are you suggesting we all run naked in the streets?

Learn to make your own clothes, I guess.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:49 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
I don't think the OP is complaining about the conditions in Bangladesh - it seems he/she is complaining about the lackluster coverage of such event in the US media...
I'm commenting on both.

Since the Bangladesh government obviously won't protect its own workers, I think it's up to the corporations buying from these death factories to mandate that safety be improved, and I would be surprised if there weren't American companies involved.

Even though we hear about the tragedy, I have seen no mention of which big multinational corporations were having clothes manufactured at these factories. That's where the news agencies are remiss. They should be tracing the roots of this tragedy to its real causes, the willingness of the Bangladesh government to sacrifice its own people, and the big corporations profiting from the lack of garment worker safety standards in Bangladesh. I don't know what I as a consumer can do other than purchase clothing made in North America.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Do you own an iPhone or Samsung smartphone? Designer shoes?

Do you shop in Macy's? Niemann Marcus? Lord & Taylor? Bloomingdales or Saks?

Do you have a pair of chucks? Nikes? Gucci, Prada, Fendi? etc etc. any high fashion?

If you do....this is a mega fail thread.

This is a phenomenon caused by American DEMAND... by what people WANT. Nothing else.

No to all of the above. I shop at thrift stores.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:01 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
I'm commenting on both.

Since the Bangladesh government obviously won't protect its own workers, I think it's up to the corporations buying from these death factories to mandate that safety be improved, and I would be surprised if there weren't American companies involved.
Then the Bangladesh people should replace their current government with one that will.

Your posts seem to have a common theme of every bad thing is the responsibility of someone else.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:02 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:

They're covering it intensely over here, including naming names and prompting boycotts.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Then the Bangladesh people should replace their current government with one that will.

Your posts seem to have a common theme of every bad thing is the responsibility of someone else.
Someone else? No, in this case the responsibility rests on the Bangladesh government, AND on the big corporations that are driving the unsafe labor practices in places like this. Both are equally responsible for this tragedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies