Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 11:51 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Well put. Thanks for laying out the case so clearly.
I want to think some more before responding.
Have you any idea how much the financial part of these benefist will cost the taxpayers - or will they all get hidden in corporate wages and benefits?
Oh, and did you read the Bloomberg article posted earlier? According to a study asked for my Republican congressman, the Congressional Budget Office estimated that legalized gay marriage would ADD about $450 million a year to the federal coffers.

State by state would be different, but the article references a study that in Maine legalizing gay marriage would CONTRIBUTE 8 million per year in fiscal benefits to the state.

What Is the Fiscal Impact of Gay Marriage? - Bloomberg

Old 05-21-2013, 12:07 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,497,397 times
Quote:
"our children" does not compute...
Next thing, you gays will be wanting to adopt children, or even use others to produce children you want to raise.

Nothing Natural about that.

Did you not get the memo?:
TPTB are promoting this new fashion for gay marriage because they think it will get the birth rate down. The previous memo from the elites was about the need for population reduction, and they see you-lot as part of the solution.

(On behalf of TPTB: "Get with the program, or back into the closet with you!")
How does it not compute? gay men and gay women do have children. Just because a man and a man cannot have a child together, should not negate us from full equal rights. Many sterile heterosexuals also cannot have children and adopt or use other methods, yet they get the full federal benefits and rights. The closet that they want us in was created by them, not us. We are busting out of this closet that society has tried to shove us into so that they can pretend we do not exist. But we do exist, have always existed and will continue to exist in the future. There will always be gay people and there have always been gay people.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:09 AM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Oh, and did you read the Bloomberg article posted earlier? According to a study asked for my Republican congressman, the Congressional Budget Office estimated that legalized gay marriage would ADD about $450 million a year to the federal coffers.

State by state would be different, but the article references a study that in Maine legalizing gay marriage would CONTRIBUTE 8 million per year in fiscal benefits to the state.

What Is the Fiscal Impact of Gay Marriage? - Bloomberg
This blows the OP's premise all to hell, doesn't it.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Where did you come from, a test tube?
Perhaps if you did, I might have some sympathy (But on second thought, maybe not.) The natural and social arrangements that brought gays onto this planet require some payback. But don't try to pass your bills

BTW, how much do "gay diseases" (no specifics mentions) rob from straight taxpayers?. If you stop the nonsense about the "costs of hetero marriage", then I will go to your big fat ugly achilles heal.

BTW, I do agree that marital benefits should not flow the same time after the second divorce - but maybe everyone should be entitled to one mistake; after that, it's a pattern.
there are no gay diseases. There are human diseases and they affect all humans. What does my birth have to do with gay marriage or my receiving the same marriage benefits that I pay into?

Old 05-21-2013, 12:11 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Gay Marriage: it's about Your money going into Gay pockets

They want to get in in the gravy train of more state benefits, just when our country is nearly bankrupt.

The Brits have begun to notice...

Civil partnerships amendment 'could wreck' gay marriage Bill and cost taxpayer ...

The Independent - ‎1 hour ago‎

Moves to legalise gay marriage cleared a crucial parliamentary hurdle as it emerged that civil partnerships could be abolished as the price for getting David Cameron's plans on to the statute book.
Simple answer, remover every single benefit of marriage.
Why should some taxpayers/citizens get benefits, and others not.
Discrimination is discrimination.
How about gays not having to pay tax since they don't benefit from tax supported marriages?

Secondly, what the hell does what Britain does have anything to do with you?
Typical busybody behavior.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:14 AM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic
"our children" does not compute...
Next thing, you gays will be wanting to adopt children, or even use others to produce children you want to raise.
How little you know....Today gay and lesbian parents are raising four percent of all adopted children in the United States. In 1990, an estimated 6 to 14 million children had gay or lesbian parents.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
I think that is going a bit too far in saying "Traditional marriage no longer exists."
Afterall, as you have stated, something like 50% of marriages endure.

But I do agree that Traditional marriage is under threat, and I think that assymmetrical Divorce laws have something to do with that. I would certain put a big fork into the present divorce laws, as I am working to restore Traditional Marriage.

I wonder what the gay community thinks about financial predators who aim to benefit from marriage? Believe me, this is bound to be a big problem in the future, as some state bless gay marriages.
I did not say that 50% of straight marriage endure, I said barely 50%. If you are going to quote someone, quote them right. Not even 50% of straight marriages endure. Something more than 55% fail and the odds get slimmer with the second and the third one. I have done better than anyone in my family in lasting for 34 years now with my partner. None of my siblings lasted that long, nor did my Mom with her first, second or third. If we gay people are going to be denied full access to marriage rights and benefits, including all the breaks and incentives, then we should not have to pay as much in taxes, but in the long run, we pay more and get less back.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Okay:
A Financial Predator is one where a partner enters a marriage because:
One partner is constantly gaining financial benefits from the other, and the "predator" is comforted by the fact that if that relationship ends in Divorce, he/she will likely walk away with a handsome financial benefit in a "divorce settlement."
And that happens with straight people too, so why not ban straight marriages also. I and my partner got married to protect our assets. Neither one of us is a financial predator, but I would say that all the straight people who get married and get the benefits and deny us the same are the financial predators sucking the money out of our pockets.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:27 AM

688 posts, read 652,720 times
Quote:
Well put. Thanks for laying out the case so clearly.
I want to think some more before responding.
Have you any idea how much the financial part of these benefist will cost the taxpayers - or will they all get hidden in corporate wages and benefits?
* I know it's kind of late*

Also, if I may, I'd like to request that you change the title of this thread while you think, since it only reinforces and normalizes anti-gay sentiments.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
I understand your confusion.

I think both issues should be discussed more openly than they have been.

I am against trophy wives, and gold diggers too. I think that women who stop working, do not have children, and are in a relationship for a short time, should not get "windfalls" in a divorce, maybe no more than half of their partner's average annual income for the years they were together. Big divorce settlements after brief marraiges seem like a financial crime to me.

How do gays feel about this part (call it part-2) of my argument?
Well, I totally agree with you about trophy wives who just get married so they can divorce the fellow and live off of his paying them alimony. I really think that divorce is way to easy to get and so is marriage. Both should be so difficult that the decision to marry is a major move that cannot be easily dissolved and that may stop people from just marrying on a whim and getting a quickie divorce a day or six later. A couple should have to live together for a few years and survive that before making a final committment to each other and I mean a final one. Other wise what the heck does till death do us part mean. Too many take marriage lightly and relationships too. My partner and I committed ourselves to our relationship 34 years ago this coming July 20th, we knew that it would not always be easy, but we worked through any problems that arose and became stronger for it. Now at 34 years we see no reason to alter our situation, other than to have granted to us the same benefits that straight people get when they make a committment. On the flip side of your arguement against gay marriage is that all of us have to pay for a marriage license, that license, plus weddings, celebrations and honeymoons generate a huge amount of money. So, you see, gay marriage will generate money, increase the coffers. Gay divorce will also generate money as does straight divorce. Bottom line though is that we are tax paying US citizens being denied full access to marriage rights and benefits that we are paying for with our taxes. Denying us them is just taking money out of our pockets to put in yours. How is that fair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies