Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 09:26 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,455 times

Advertisements

This type of thing is my main gripe about Monsanto - and it happens a lot:

Monsanto wins lawsuit against Indiana soybean farmer | MNN - Mother Nature Network

I also would think that any state's rights supporter would be upset with their move to prohibit states from passing their own state laws on GMO labeling.

The amendment shot down by the Senate would have allowed states to make their own decisions on whether or not GMO foods should be labeled – without mandating any action. Supporters originally believed that this measure was non-controversial, and simply gave states an option. But the Senate voted 71 to 27 against it on Thursday, days before Saturday’s March Against Monsanto.

On the eve of March against Monsanto Senate shoots down GMO labeling bill ? RT USA

Old 05-24-2013, 11:27 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,200,465 times
Lightbulb Thanks for the links! Why Does Monsanto oppose labeling of GMO ingredients? Other countries have LABELING!!

Below, is a bit from the link you posted. Thank you for sharing it with us.

What gets me really upset is that other countries have labeling of GMO's, but we must remain
ignorant Again, if Monsanto has nothing to hide why not label the ingredients??

"As 200,000 people prepare to march against Monsanto, the Senate has overwhelmingly rejected a bill that would allow states to decide if genetically modified food products should be labeled.

The amendment shot down by the Senate would have allowed states to make their own decisions on whether or not GMO foods should be labeled – without mandating any action. Supporters originally believed that this measure was non-controversial, and simply gave states an option. But the Senate voted 71 to 27 against it on Thursday, days before Saturday’s March Against Monsanto.

Sen. Bernie Sanders. (AFP Photo / Mark Willson)

“The concept we’re talking about today is a fairly commonsense and non-radical idea,” Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), the bill’s sponsor, told the Huffington Post before the vote. “All over the world, in the European Union, in many other countries around the world, dozens and dozens of countries, people are able to look at the food that they are buying and determine through labeling whether or not that product contains genetically modified organisms.”

Sanders also explained that the Food and Drug Administration requires more than 3,000 ingredients to be labeled on food products, but that GMOs are not on this list.

But opponents of the measure argued that GMOs should not be labeled, since the FDA has not made scientific conclusions that would require it. Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.), chair of the Agriculture Committee, said the amendment that was shot down was not relevant to the farm bill. She also emphasized the importance of Monsanto in providing foods at lower prices that help feed people around the world – an argument often made by supporters of the biotech giant.

“I believe we must rely on the FDA’s science-based examination before we make conclusions about food ingredients derived from genetically modified foods,” she said. “They currently do not require special labeling because they’ve determined that food content of these ingredients does not materially differ from their conventional counterparts.”

On Thursday, Senate Republicans also objected to an attempt to repeal a provision that critics call the “Monsanto Protection Act”, which allows Monsanto and other biotech giants that use GMOs to plant and sell their products, even if legal action is taken against them. The provision protects Monsanto from financial damages and has generated petitions and a nationwide outcry from critics who claim the legislation allows the company to bypass the court system and dominate the seed industry.

“The provision [strips] federal courts of the authority to halt the sale and planting of an illegal, potentially hazardous GE crop while the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) assesses those potential hazards,” dozens of food businesses and retailers wrote Congress before the “Monsanto Protection Act” was passed in March."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
This type of thing is my main gripe about Monsanto - and it happens a lot:

Monsanto wins lawsuit against Indiana soybean farmer | MNN - Mother Nature Network

I also would think that any state's rights supporter would be upset with their move to prohibit states from passing their own state laws on GMO labeling.

On the eve of March against Monsanto Senate shoots down GMO labeling bill ? RT USA

Old 05-25-2013, 12:41 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
God bless these people! This issue can no longer be ignored. The 99% will be heard.

SEATTLE (May 1, 2013) - March Against Monsanto hasannounced that on May 25, tens of thousands of activists around the world will “March Against Monsanto.” Currently, marches are being planned on six continents, in 33 countries, totaling events in over 250 cities, and in the US, events are slated to occur simultaneously at 11 a.m. Pacific in 47 states.

GMO Free USA | Harnessing education, advocacy, and bold action to foster consumer rejection of genetically modified organisms.

Kellogg contributed almost $800,000 to a deceptive advertising campaign that defeated Prop. 37, which would have required the labeling of genetically engineered foods in California. This company does not support transparency or truth in labeling and has no regard for the health and safety of consumers who buy their products.

WE ARE RAMPING UP… LET’S TURN UP THE HEAT!

oh no...not the paid ORTHO operative, going after the competition, Monsanto

why are you so anti- one company????

who's paying you???

Old 05-25-2013, 12:45 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,570,059 times
If you want to understand how a corporation got so powerful, and who really runs this country, watch this documentary by Woody Harrelson. Very well done, your eyes will be opened. You also need to understand some of the people on this forum that are paid to defend these corporate entities, no matter how heinous their actions. It's all about the money and profit, people and the environment, be damned.

Woody Harrelson 'ethos' full documentary - YouTube

If you've only got time for the first 15-20 minutes, watch that much. It's well worth it. Watch it in intervals at your leisure.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:49 AM

742 posts, read 678,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
There is only one motivation for anything anyone does. Self interest.
Indeed. Greed...follow the money.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:39 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,200,465 times
Lightbulb Its not just Monsanto, although Monsanto is HUGE....Sygenta, DuPont, Dow Chemical are also part of the problem....

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh no...not the paid ORTHO operative, going after the competition, Monsanto

why are you so anti- one company????

who's paying you???

I am not Claud, and I do not speak for Claud but I would like to clarify

I am NOT being paid by anyone. Yet, I cannot stand how Monsanto operates. We do not have to be paid to see what
Monsanto & other chemical, biotechs are up to....

And people need to know Monsanto is NOT the only problem, Sygenta, DuPont, Dow Chemical also come to mind.... Although, Monsanto has a huge monopoly, and they do not play fair....

Over 50 countries around the world require labeling on their food, MONSANTO has fought tooth & nail
to prevent that from happening, why??? What are they hiding?

I should be able to know what is in my food. If you want to eat GMO ingredients, fine, go ahead,
we should all have a choice. That is your choice.
On the other hand, I want to know what is in my food, without having to go shopping outside of the US

Last edited by countrylv22; 05-25-2013 at 03:37 AM.. Reason: Its not just Monsanto...

Old 05-25-2013, 08:45 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,809 times
The genetic modification done by Mosanto has so far shown no impact. . .though its hard to test something like a genetic modification of a plant. Its not like you can do a clinical trial (i.e. molecule).

Though someone posted earlier that if you look at the UPC code, you can tell a GMO produced product (genetically modified items should contain 5 digits and begin with 8) which seems to me to meet the needs. . .of those on here. I mean you want to be able to tell, you can look. If you don't care. . .don't look

This does remind me of the revolt against immunization or pharmaceuticals

You would throw away the huge benefits of these goods and what they can do to feed mankind, make us healthier, etc. . .on the off chance that somewhere there may be some impact on some specific modification

Its like banning all drugs (or put big scary warning labels on all drugs) because of a recall of a specific drug . . .

Old 05-25-2013, 09:00 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Seven ways GMO toxicity affects animals, plants and soil

Learn more: Seven ways GMO toxicity affects animals, plants and soil

Old 05-25-2013, 09:03 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
If you want to understand how a corporation got so powerful, and who really runs this country, watch this documentary by Woody Harrelson. Very well done, your eyes will be opened. You also need to understand some of the people on this forum that are paid to defend these corporate entities, no matter how heinous their actions. It's all about the money and profit, people and the environment, be damned.

Woody Harrelson 'ethos' full documentary - YouTube

If you've only got time for the first 15-20 minutes, watch that much. It's well worth it. Watch it in intervals at your leisure.
Thanks for sharing that Claud, I'll be watching it this afternoon.

And yes, there are paid people to spread government propaganda and it is quite easy to spot them on many forums.

When it comes to the (Big Government - Banking - Military - Corporate Complex), they support all the above merged and working together against the countries best interest.

You never see them attack this arrangement that exists, but instead will use divide and conquer tactics to pigeon hole it on one side or the other, when all of DC is corrupted. Or they will focus on totally stupid topics that have nothing to do with the well being of this country and where it is headed.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:20 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,035 times
You can see who the real communists are now that are against people having a choice and believe the (State+Corporate Complex) should decide for us.

http://rt.com/news/march-against-monsanto-gmo-776/

Melbourne

Japan

South Africa

Amsterdam

Quote:
Demonstrators gathered at Eastern Market in Detroit, Michigan to "Demand GMO Labeling" and join the worldwide protest against Monsanto. The "March Against Monstanto" is being held in a dozen cities across Michigan, including Detroit, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Traverse City and Sault St. Marie. Tia Lebherz, a local organizer for Food and Water Watch, said companies like Monsanto are "squeezing out our small farmers."

We don't want no stinking labels, the consumer should not have the choice to decide. If we put labels on them, it will stand out to much rather than being something they have to decipher in a UPC code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies