Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 11:38 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,438,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Ugh, you Monsanto apologists love arguing that "there is no proof GMO's will kill you".

I guess that's a great..ugh...'quality' to have in a food product, but was never my point.

I am against collusion between our Federal Government and Multi-National Corporations.
It exists with Monsanto and you must be blind or paid to not see it.

The entry point of a democracy is that it is bought and paid for. That has been the point of democracy since beginning of time. Yet people still have a vote. . .and the people on this board even pointed that if there is INTEREST you can look at the UPC code for a GMO impact.

Though I love your comment. . . .if your not with me, well you must be paid for by the opposition.

heh. Now that is a way to not debate

Old 05-24-2013, 11:43 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,951,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

Though I love your comment. . . .if your not with me, well you must be paid for by the opposition.
Yes, that is generally how it works with Monsanto .

For what other possible reason would any sane person argue against the laws of nature in favor of a for-profit Corporation?

Especially when 15,000 farmers in India are committing suicide every single year due to crippling debt from said Corporation and their intended monopoly on mother nature.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 05-24-2013 at 11:51 AM..

Old 05-24-2013, 11:48 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,965,956 times
Quote:
The entry point of a democracy is that it is bought and paid for. That has been the point of democracy since beginning of time. Yet people still have a vote. . .and the people on this board even pointed that if there is INTEREST you can look at the UPC code for a GMO impact.

heh. Now that is a way to not debate

We have a "Vote" alright, but when the same wolves are in charge of the media, to give us the illusion of choice, such as "Hope and Change Banker Puppet Obama" or, "They hate us for our Freedom, Military Industrial Complex Bush" it becomes quite easy to see how people get the wool pulled over their eyes.

The Power of Psychology via Propaganda and Brainwashing is quite real and in effect in our country.
History is a testament to this in any period of existence.

The "vote" is first made or selected with money, and then the Media goes to work on those that were selected. Take Mitt Romney and Obama, both bought by the Big Banks. They win either way.

When either president is put in power, and things go wrong for everyone (but the bought and paid for), there are cries that people need to be more responsible on who they elect, but when it is pointed out how the elections and media work, they are called tin foil hatters and told to go back to sleep.

This is all tin foil hattery here:

Lobbying Spending Database | OpenSecrets

Pharmaceuticals/Health Products $2,618,552,130
Insurance $1,852,591,686
Electric Utilities $1,738,873,881
Business Associations $1,514,090,773
Computers/Internet $1,430,144,365
Oil & Gas $1,401,843,416
Education $1,204,874,390
Misc Manufacturing & Distributing $1,202,615,653
Hospitals/Nursing Homes $1,112,231,484
TV/Movies/Music $1,082,144,801
Civil Servants/Public Officials $1,050,939,396
Securities & Investment $1,025,253,877
Real Estate $1,019,494,401
Health Professionals $981,768,303
Air Transport $936,081,641
Misc Issues $795,692,327
Automotive $761,640,225
Telephone Utilities $754,620,861
Telecom Services & Equipment $731,758,303
Health Services/HMOs $683,676,500

Also, they know not many will bother with deciphering the UPC Code or react unless it was clearly labeled.
If the UPC Code and Labeling are the same, then why are the fighting to not label gmo products?

Old 05-24-2013, 01:21 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,337,884 times
Quote:
Especially when 15,000 farmers in India are committing suicide every single year due to crippling debt from said Corporation and their intended monopoly on mother nature.
Kloor points to a story in Canada's National Post that dismantles the Monsanto-killer myth in just a few words:
The issue of farmer suicides first gained media attention in 1995 as the southern state of Maharashtra began reporting a significant rise in farmers killing themselves.
Other states across the country began noticing an increase in farmer suicides as well. But it wasn’t until seven years later — in 2002 — that the U.S.-based agribusiness Monsanto began selling genetically modified cotton seeds, known as Bt cotton, to Indian farmers.

Demolishing the myth that Monsanto's engineered crops drove 270,000 Indian farmers to suicide. | Knight Science Journalism Program at MIT

Old 05-24-2013, 01:24 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,087,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Those people going into government jobs from their respective industries are not going into government for their own health or to "Serve the American People", but like all things these days, to regulate or deregulate, whichever is most beneficial and profitable to their masters and field they are in. Regulate to kill off competition or deregulate to reap greater profits at the publics expense.

Take the case of Goldman Sachs for example:

Windfalls for Wall Street Executives Taking Jobs in Government - NYTimes.com

Windfalls for Wall Street Executives Taking Jobs in Government

The same reason why many small time politicians would go to DC having a net worth of 400,000 and coming out millionaires many times over. Power and Wealth and Corruption.
Unless you're omnipresent, you don't know why they or do not do things, you only have assumptions and conjecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Ah, deflection huh? My point remains, The Monsanto Protection Act was written by Monsanto
Prove it.

Then, provided you can prove it, tell me why this is a bad thing.

Quote:
and was instantly approved by the puppets.
Wrong. It took just under a month to move through the process. More than enough time for any discussion on the matter to take place.

Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2013 (H.R. 933) - GovTrack.us

Quote:
I truly hope you are compensated greatly by Monsanto for your time.
I wish. Unfortunately, I'm not.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:24 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,337,884 times
You wouldn't expect a liberal hippy tree-hugging vegetarian to defend Monsanto, but I can't, in all good conscience, tar and feather them because of hysteria on the internet.
It would behoove some people to do some research and look up some facts.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:27 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,387,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
people have been killed by GMO corn?

how many?

links pls
It is time-release death.

Quote:
no they aren't.
Are!

Quote:
ethanol in gasoline has nothing to do with GMOs.
Yes, the more people stop eating it, the more the government will require corn in the gas.

Quote:
but since they aren't - you can't.
Are - look it up.

Quote:
huh? which ones? modified how?

documentation pls.
The GMO debate is over; GM crops must be immediately outlawed; Monsanto halted from threatening humanity

Quote:
how many people are starving in countries that grow GMO crops?
Let them have poison.

Quote:
what does producing a pesticide have to do with not caring about world hunger?
Motive.

Quote:
because you might have eagerly read the lies and propaganda vomited forth by such illustrious publications as russia today and natural news?

[it appears you did not, btw]
GMO Pundit a.k.a. David Tribe: Safety, safety, safety, and more GM food safety. The Food and Chemical Toxicology Septet.

Last edited by Nonarchist; 05-24-2013 at 01:44 PM..

Old 05-24-2013, 01:32 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,171,615 times
I suggest everyone watch "Food, Inc." It's eye opening.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Okay, fear tactic aside. . .thats not the goal here. GMO is normally things like excrete a protein that stops a specific aphid, or an immunity to a specific chemical. A pesticide is a complex chemical . . . and no one has done the above yet. No one has glow and the dark bananas, or ones that push out poison.
Yes, GMO corn releases pesticides.

Quote:
The impeccable logic brought to you by the same rationale that makes people afraid to inoculate themselves from whooping cough.
Vaccines - One of the many combinatives that would obfuscate independent biological tracking.

Quote:
Even if Peanut Allergies have gone up over time (and not just diagnostic criteria, more people going to doctor for it, more people thinking they are for some random reason) Correlation isn't a reason to believe anything. . .
I don't believe, I question after looking. Correlation? Play with it all you like.

Quote:
People are still 100% guessing on a link between a specific GMO alteration (Soy beans) and peanut allergies. As in pharma drugs. . .not all GMO alterations are the same. . the only one you may care about is the Soy one (regarding allergies).
Yeah, we can hide things in the complexity.

Quote:
I don't understand this. ..seems a little rambling. Though a parade of horrible is not a argument
Oh, but you DO understand this.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
It's just that I refuse to jump on any bandwagon until I've researched a subject in depth. I haven't seen any scientific studies that show how harmful GMO foods are. Hysterical articles from sites like Natural News don't count, and neither do youtube videos with dramatic music.
Yes, rats get tumours. Here's the thing, though. Rats ALWAYS get tumours. I had pet rats for about a decade, and they're prone to tumours no matter what you feed them, even an all-organic healthy diet.
Why would you want to be a lab rat in in a corporate profit scheme?

Liberals like being part of polarized multitudes. It is their communitarian need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies