Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 11:13 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
I know...tragic, ain't it?
What is tragic is that bigots keep spreading their ignorant message about and teaching their children to hate others that are not like them. Bigottry is taught and is generational. It is a sign of immaturity to be unable to encompass those not like you.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
OK. Well there is my term for the oath:

On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally neutral.
What, you don't thing that gay people can be morally straight? Only "straight" people can be morally straight? Morality has nothing to do with sexual orientationa and the use of straight in your quote has nothing to do with sex, it has to do with doing what is right. I can tell you this, I am often more morally straight than many of my straight friends.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:17 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Will they replace "morally straight" with "morally straight (or gay)" or perhaps "morally nuanced" in the oath?

On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.
Here is what the boy scout handbook has to say on the phrase.
Quote:
. . . and morally straight.

To be a person of strong character, your relationships with others should be honest and open. You should respect and defend the rights of all people. Be clean in your speech and actions, and remain faithful in your religious beliefs. The values you practice as a Scout will help you shape a life of virtue and self-reliance.
Boy Scout Oath

Nothing about sexual orientation.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
What is tragic is that bigots keep spreading their ignorant message about and teaching their children to hate others that are not like them. Bigottry is taught and is generational. It is a sign of immaturity to be unable to encompass those not like you.
IMO, it is a form of child abuse. You can easily tell that many of the posters on this forum have dealt with anger issues and harbor hatred towards people that are different than they are based mainly on the indoctrination they received from their parents and religious leaders while they were young.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:27 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
In other words they will continue to keep their heads in the sand that the majoity of their followers do indeed have sex outside of just marriage, but continue to hate on gays because it's easier than dealing with the fact that they are living in 2013 where people shouldn't feel guilty about having sex, and birth control (that is used by over 80% of all Cathloics) is okay.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
No, proud to have morals and standards.

The why don't gay youth, their families and those who support them start up their own Scout-like organization where they can do what they like and admit whom they choose? Why must Scouting be hijacked by those with a political agenda. If Gay Scouts are the wave of the future, then surely traditional Scouting would die a natural death within a generation as all the enlightened move to the New Order. Better to normalize your behavior, right?

And you'd be much happier if there was no one to challenge your choices, eh?
Anyone who says it is a choice, then that person must have made the choice to be straight and is thus admitting to having gay tendencies. If you want to hide in your straight closet and admonish others for being honest enough to be who they are, that is your problem. I did not choose to be gay and why would anyone? It is not Gay scouts, it is a scout that is gay. Hating others is self consuming activity that leads to no where but more angst. Its about time that the church get with the times and stop their spread of lies and hate, it is unbecoming and is why people are leaving it in droves.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:29 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The why don't gay youth, their families and those who support them start up their own Scout-like organization where they can do what they like and admit whom they choose? Why must Scouting be hijacked by those with a political agenda. If Gay Scouts are the wave of the future, then surely traditional Scouting would die a natural death within a generation as all the enlightened move to the New Order. Better to normalize your behavior, right?
Because separate is NOT equal.

What a bunch of homophobes and bigots.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:31 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
They'll get adults okayed eventually. If there's anything we've learned with the gay agenda, they keep pushing and pushing and pushing. The media will help them keep on the pressure too. So they'll get what they want in the end, one way or another.
You're right about that. The LGBT community is not going to settle for second-class citizenship.

And that's a good thing.

I'm enjoying the schadenfreude.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:31 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This is exactly why this decision was made yesterday. The sexual orientation of the boys (and leaders) is moot. The only reason this is now an issue is because of the previous rulings outright banning them.

If the Codes of Conduct of the BSA are followed, the sexual orientation of boys and leaders becomes totally irrelevant.

Boy Scout code protects members: Column
Exactly. If you need to corral leader and scouts by the preferred gender of their sex partners to prevent untoward behavior, you have already admitted to a complete failure of leadership. For an organization that claims to instill values, that's doubly ironic.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:34 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
There you are...dropping your kid off at the Jamboree and being introduced to his new tent mate, "Pat"....Pat was dropped off by "Elizabeth and Carol".....Pat brought along a chest full of Barbie Dolls and a vinyl, with clear plastic lid, makeup kit.....Pat also wears shorts....really short shorts with his n' her "tonsils" hanging out....Pat wears longer than usual hair and has a certain "feminine" air about him/her....

It's late, they are both going to sleep.....you kid wakes up, shaves his legs, and he is a she.....taking a walk on the wild side....WTF!!!!!

Your vision: You sent your kid to bond and have a nice kid outing.....

Result? Your kid comes home with an outrageous story of "exploration", makeup, and announces his new friend "Pat" as "special"....uh huh.....

Call me old fashioned here but, I would think you might have to deal with something like this at least 5-10 years later.....Nothing like having to change your kids entire wardrobe just prior to the next school year. Suddenly, posters of Barney Frank, Melissa Etheridge, Gloria Steinem are replacing Buzz Light Year and the like.

To insanity and beyond!

I don't think we are quite ready for this....are you?
Why is it that those who claim to be the most abhorred by homosexuality always have the most vivid, detailed imaginations, carefully laid out down to the last colorful detail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.