Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Zimmerman be convicted of murder
Convicted 116 40.42%
Acquitted 171 59.58%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 09:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
That's completely irrelevant to the case and irrelevant in general. The 2nd amendment doesn't say anything about "need". Zimmerman was legally carrying a gun and that's all there is to it. This trial will determine whether he was justified in shooting Trayvon, not whether he should have been carrying a gun at all.
The second amendment is about a "well regulated militia". Was Z going to a milita meeting, target practice, what?

Old 06-01-2013, 09:32 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,411,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Yeah, ok. I'll just mention O.J.. As for jurors, you've got to know jurors run the gamete and don't always do what they're instructed to do hence the several that were tossed off the Jodi Arias trial.

I'm not so naive to think jurors are always the straight up follow the law and common sense type people you describe. I also am not so naive to believe that all jurors are honest in voir dire or that they won't say what they think is needed to get in the jury box for whatever reason.
You also know voir dire is also for attorneys to "pick" the jurors they want to load up on right?

Voir Dire definition snippet:
Actually one of the unspoken purposes of the voir dire is for the attorneys to get a feel for the personalities and likely views of the people on the jury panel. In some courts the judge asks most of the questions, while in others the lawyers are given substantial latitude and time to ask questions. Some jurors may be dismissed for cause by the judge, and the attorneys may excuse others in "peremptory" challenges without stating any reason.
Of course I know what voir dire is. Why would I have used the term if I didn't know?

I'm sure you must know that each attorney gets a limited number of strikes during voir dire, and some jurors are removed "for cause." So it's not like one side gets to "pack" the jury.

There's a reason why alternates are put on juries; for exactly the reasons you saw in the Arias trial. If jurors are not following the rules, they are kicked off the jury and an alternate takes their place; also, if a juror gets sick during the trial, an alternate is used to replace that juror.

I can't imagine what you think is unfair about voir dire.

Not ALL jurors are ALWAYS straight up; however, enough of the jurors selected to be on a jury usually are honest and straight up (if for no other reason than fear of breaking the law and getting caught), which is why it would be enormously difficult to get a jury full of people who had already decided the case BEFORE they were selected. ATTORNEYS and JUDGES are pretty good at detecting dishonesty as well as people who are "too eager" to be in a jury.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:36 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,733,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I have a suspicion gz had his gun pointed at tm, and probably said something like, 'Do you feel lucky, well do ya, punk,' or maybe the n word instead of punk. Being all mellowed out, tm approached to hug gz and that was that.

btw, a guy was forced to quit his job for using the word *****rdly, accused of raism. I'm pretty sure niggling is ok, but who knows.
Zimmerman jumped out of his truck yelling racist obscenities. Trayvon invited him to tea the next day so he could discuss his budding astronaut career and how he was majoring in cheerfulness.

Zimmerman was enraged. He ran at Trayvon, slamming his nose into Trayvon's head, then pulling Trayvon on top of him so he could shoot him.

Zimmerman also managed to get some marijuana into Trayvon's system (and other drugs, if O'Mara's mention of the full tox scene showing other drugs at the last hearing is correct), and plant tons of drug, fight, and other incriminating texts on Trayvon's cell.

Zimmerman is a genius. Must be the focus he gets from the Adderall.

The funniest thing to me about these threads is last year people who argued for literally thousands and thousands of posts that Zimmerman wasn't injured, Trayvon didn't have a history of drugs/fighting/etc., the girlfriend was the virtue of honesty who would nail the coffin of Zimmerman's grave, etc. etc.,
A year later they are spending thousands of posts arguing that none of that stuff matters. If it didn't matter, why waste time arguing it for thousands of posts?

Old 06-01-2013, 09:43 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,544,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I don't know the answer to that. Do you?
Hint, it wasn't on the way back to his truck.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:44 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,733,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Look at the maps. No matter which is closest to the truth - no way Zimmerman's story can be true - that he got out of his truck just to get an address and was then attacked while heading back to his truck. Bull hockey.

Those maps were wrong, even the person making them continued to "update" them as they realized they were incorrect.

Here's a map that doesn't assume paths Trayvon and Zimmerman took, but shows the correct locations for everything.

Trayvon's girlfriend said he said he was "right by his dad's" at one point. If that was true, Trayvon had to have doubled back, and the timing is works for that.

From when Zimmerman said Trayvon was running until Zimmeman hung up was 2 minutes. Trayvon could have strolled back to Brandy's apartment and been there before Zimmerman hung up.

0:15 – The best address I can give you is the clubhouse. [A]
0:45 – He’s just staring at the houses. Now he’s staring at me.
1:00 – He’s coming towards me.
1:20 – He’s coming to check me out.
2:08 – ****, he’s running.
2:14 – Sound of truck door being closed. [C]
2:20 – He’s heading towards the back entrance. [referring to E]
2:25 – Are you following him? Yep.
2:45 – He ran… Zimmerman stops and completes the 911 call. [E]
4:05 – Call ends.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The problem is that the judge in the case is not allowing evidence which is crucial to the defense. Why is that? Why is she biased against Zimmerman?

Those cell phone records need to be admitted into evidence. They provide the timeline, and the conversations between Zimmerman and the dispatcher.

Zimmerman in no way provoked Martin. Can you explain how? What is your evidence?
She did not say that she wouldn't allow it. She stated that it won't be allowed in opening statements.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
A 911 operator is NOT an officer and as such has no authority to "give direction". That said, Zimmerman did apparently break off his pursuit and was attacked. Irrespective, Zimmerman is only guilty of not being the sharpest pencil in the box. That will probably be enough to convict him in this case however as the public needs someone to answer for a kid that was allowed to be corrupted by an over permissive society. Zimmerman will be convicted and imprisoned for a crime he is not guilty of, because the government needs him to take a fall.
Zimmerman apparently did NOT break off his pursuit because if he did he would have went back to his truck.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:04 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Those maps were wrong, even the person making them continued to "update" them as they realized they were incorrect.

Here's a map that doesn't assume paths Trayvon and Zimmerman took, but shows the correct locations for everything.

Trayvon's girlfriend said he said he was "right by his dad's" at one point. If that was true, Trayvon had to have doubled back, and the timing is works for that.

From when Zimmerman said Trayvon was running until Zimmeman hung up was 2 minutes. Trayvon could have strolled back to Brandy's apartment and been there before Zimmerman hung up.

0:15 – The best address I can give you is the clubhouse. [A]
0:45 – He’s just staring at the houses. Now he’s staring at me.
1:00 – He’s coming towards me.
1:20 – He’s coming to check me out.
2:08 – ****, he’s running.
2:14 – Sound of truck door being closed. [C]
2:20 – He’s heading towards the back entrance. [referring to E]
2:25 – Are you following him? Yep.
2:45 – He ran… Zimmerman stops and completes the 911 call. [E]
4:05 – Call ends.
Even you fall into the Trayvon/Zimmerman media bias trap. I call him Martin.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:31 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
So do you own a gun? If so how often do you carry it to go shopping? I have never seen people walk in a large store carrying gun. Although they proably can't prove it but I bet zimmerman was not going shopping that night, he was out playing "super cop"
I do own a gun and I have had a concealed handgun license for a number of years now. I carry a concealed handgun all the time unless I'm going to be entering a federal or state gov. building where it would be illegal. I can assure you without a doubt that you could walk by me in any grocery story, Home Depot, gas station or anywhere else 25 times and you would never know I'm carrying a gun, hence the term "concealed". In all my years of carrying I've never had a single person notice me carrying.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:32 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You don't know if the 911 operator was a sworn officer or not. In any event s/he was an employee of the police department, and his/her instructions should be followed.
Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies