Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 03:36 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Edison View Post
Works for me.

She should be out without pay. If by some stretch of the wildest imagination she is found to be innocent of any wrong doing, they can reinstate her and reinstate her back pay.

And by the way, employment isn't a court of law. It's a job and employers (you and me) should be able to fire at will. Suspicion is cause enough, imo. She's toxic. Get rid of her. Pleading the 5th is reason enough.
In 24 yrs, I've been on paid administrative leave 4 times. I am a police officer and each time was after an officer involved shooting. I was saving my life or the life of someone else. While the investigation was being completed, I was off. Some investigations took 4 weeks. One took 9 months. So, I am supposed to go without pay, etc for 9 months? For something which YOU pay me to do?

I was completely justified all 4 times. There wasn't even the mere hint of suspicion I did anything wrong. Yet, standard procedure in these cases is to put me off. So again, I am supposed to suffer for 9 months, to make you feel better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 06:27 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
In 24 yrs, I've been on paid administrative leave 4 times. I am a police officer and each time was after an officer involved shooting. I was saving my life or the life of someone else. While the investigation was being completed, I was off. Some investigations took 4 weeks. One took 9 months. So, I am supposed to go without pay, etc for 9 months? For something which YOU pay me to do?

I was completely justified all 4 times. There wasn't even the mere hint of suspicion I did anything wrong. Yet, standard procedure in these cases is to put me off. So again, I am supposed to suffer for 9 months, to make you feel better?
It should not take nine months. Look at the example that I posted of the state troopers who got pay raises based on diploma mill degrees. It took a year to resolve. But everyone knew within a couple days of the news story breaking what was up. A couple weeks of investigation--fine. Even though most of us in the private sector get less than that. But 9 months is prima facie evidence that the system is awry.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:32 PM

Here's another real-world example of administrative leave:
Tacoma principal quits job, keeps pay | OregonLive.com

Quote:
-- A Tacoma middle school principal, convicted three weeks ago in the rape of a former student, resigned as of Wednesday, but will get to keep the $48,068 he was paid while on administrative leave and has not yet lost his teaching credentials.
The Tacoma School District received Harold Wright Jr.'s letter of resignation Monday, district spokeswoman Leanna Albrecht said.
Wright and another man, Richy Carter, were convicted of raping a then 19-year-old woman in January 2004. The victim, now 23, attended Spanaway Lake High School while Wright worked there as an assistant principal before he took a job at Baker Middle School in Tacoma.

Albrecht said the district won't be able to get back the $48,068 it paid Wright while he was on administrative leave from Feb. 9 because of his contract.
Judging by post from liberals in this thread, this outcome is just hunky dory, right?

Old 05-27-2013, 06:35 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Can any liberals out there explain and justify the concept of "administrative leave?" Do you think that private sector employers should be required to have the same policy, or do you agree with the current dual-class structure?
Why are liberals supposed to answer for it? You think they own it or something? Paid administrative leave exists in conservative states, and it was around under the Republican administrations, too. It seems like you're trying - and failing - to make this into a liberal/conservative issue.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,361,803 times
It also happens in the private sector, especially with executives. You can be the worst CEO ever, and still get tens of millions. Look at HP. Multiple ousted CEOs, and all of them walked away with more than most entire neighborhoods will make in a lifetime. That should make you even more angry. Or, is it just when you know it's a public employee?

Old 05-27-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Why are liberals supposed to answer for it? You think they own it or something? Paid administrative leave exists in conservative states, and it was around under the Republican administrations, too. It seems like you're trying - and failing - to make this into a liberal/conservative issue.
Just take a look thru this thread. Almost every poster who defends it is liberal, while conservatives almost universally disdain it.

No doubt it has worked its way into the public sector jobs in red states, which only goes to show that there are no conservative states, there are only red and blue states. It is generally not present in the private sector however.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:22 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,385,849 times
All "mistakes" are forgiven, because they are expected.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:23 PM

472 posts, read 570,828 times
Why is it for liberals to answer? It's not limited to liberal ideology.

Kind of weird question.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:27 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,361,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Just take a look thru this thread. Almost every poster who defends it is liberal, while conservatives almost universally disdain it.

No doubt it has worked its way into the public sector jobs in red states, which only goes to show that there are no conservative states, there are only red and blue states. It is generally not present in the private sector however.
So, then you still contend that simply being accused of something should make you go without pay for however long it takes your employer to make a decision? Or, should you just be fired based on accusation, and have to go to court to fight it? Or should that even be allowed? Do you get extra pay when they decide you didn't do anything wrong and can come back as a "we're sorry you couldn't afford anything for that month-long period"?

Old 05-27-2013, 09:32 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,242,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Go ahead and try it, punk.
I think I know the military a little better than you. You might want to study Afghanistan for a lesson how the TWO world's biggest militaries could not conquer a nation where the population resists, despite infinite spending and decades of time.

All the high-tech weapons in the world won't help a government that has abused its power so much that it no longer has the support of the people, Ms. Antoinette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies