Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:17 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,385,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Indisputable evidence of wrongdoing...

Isnt that what a trial is for?
Yeah, to hear premeditated 5th Amendment pleas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 07:19 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,385,849 times
Default Can any liberal out there explain/justify the concept of "paid administrative leave?"

Any Government agency is Lake Wobegon.

Illusory superiority is often referred to as the above average effect. Other terms include superiority bias, leniency error, sense of relative superiority, the primus inter pares effect, and the Lake Wobegon effect (named after Garrison Keillor's fictional town where "all the children are above average"). The phrase "illusory superiority" was first used by Van Yperen and Buunk in 1991.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority

Old 05-25-2013, 11:56 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Can any liberals out there explain and justify the concept of "administrative leave?" Do you think that private sector employers should be required to have the same policy, or do you agree with the current dual-class structure?
I think the "paid administrative leave" thing is the government's way of dealing with high profile cases which get a lot of media attention and public outcry. It takes some of the heat off, so government officials can conduct an investigation without the glare of so much publicity and decide who will be the fall guy THIS time. Maybe it's the person on leave; maybe not.

I'm not sure why you see this as a "liberal" issue. I don't. It's just a stragedy now in use by the government. Maybe it's right, maybe it's wrong. Each case should probably be determined on its own merits.

It's not a dual-class structure, BTW. Remember the recent big financial crisis and all that "too big to fail" BS? Many a CEO had done some very illegal things in order to further their own enrichment. Were they punished? Not hardly. Their companies actually gave them million dollar bonuses for service in a "difficult time." The few CEO's who were actually asked to depart did so with the benefit of "golden parachutes" - payments of $100 million plus to cushion the blow. Paid administrative leave is peanuts by comparison.

Now what makes you conservatives think THAT sort of thing is so moral? Because private enterprise can do no wrong? If that's what you think, they'll be feeding you to the sharks before you know it.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:31 AM

383 posts, read 641,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I think the "paid administrative leave" thing is the government's way of dealing with high profile cases which get a lot of media attention and public outcry. It takes some of the heat off, so government officials can conduct an investigation without the glare of so much publicity and decide who will be the fall guy THIS time. Maybe it's the person on leave; maybe not.

I'm not sure why you see this as a "liberal" issue. I don't. It's just a stragedy now in use by the government. Maybe it's right, maybe it's wrong. Each case should probably be determined on its own merits.

It's not a dual-class structure, BTW. Remember the recent big financial crisis and all that "too big to fail" BS? Many a CEO had done some very illegal things in order to further their own enrichment. Were they punished? Not hardly. Their companies actually gave them million dollar bonuses for service in a "difficult time." The few CEO's who were actually asked to depart did so with the benefit of "golden parachutes" - payments of $100 million plus to cushion the blow. Paid administrative leave is peanuts by comparison.

Now what makes you conservatives think THAT sort of thing is so moral? Because private enterprise can do no wrong? If that's what you think, they'll be feeding you to the sharks before you know it.
Because it's a privately/publicly owned company and we the people aren't paying for it.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:39 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfurm View Post
Because it's a privately/publicly owned company and we the people aren't paying for it.
I didn't notice any deduction on my taxes for bailing out those huge financial outfits. Plus, the American public is STILL paying because these private corporations tanked us straight into a big old recession that the country has yet to recover from. Oh, we pay for the foibles of private enterprise big time.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:54 AM

383 posts, read 641,802 times
I well don't see any deductions on our returns for the 47% that don't pay Federal taxes. Your point?

Old 05-26-2013, 01:34 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
A couple days ago the IRS official who headed the tax-exempt orgs division was placed on paid administrative leave, in connection with the investigation into IRS targeting of groups based on ideology.
Lois Lerner put on administrative leave by IRS

This means essentially that she will sit at home while collecting full pay and benefits. Modern government defines this as a form of punishment for government workers.

I work at a large private sector corp. that is very politically correct, but I've never heard of anyone going on such a thing as "administrative leave." Employees caught in wrongdoing are generally either fired on the spot, and walked out to the parking lot, or suspended without pay pending investigation. Usually after about 2 weeks they are either brought back, or terminated.

For gov't workers accused of wrongdoing, paid administrative leave now seems to be the law of the land. A few years ago in WA we had a state trooper accused of molesting numerous female motorists after pulling them over. He sat in jail for 17 months, all the while collecting his full trooper salary on "paid administrative leave." Eventually he was convicted, but continued to collect his trooper salary for several weeks after the conviction. We also had a school principle in the Seattle area who was charged with and convicted of rape, and was on "paid administrative leave" for a while even after being convicted. Congrats you taxpayers, you get the honor of working your fingers to the bone to provide succor for a rapist. Relax and enjoy!

Can any liberals out there explain and justify the concept of "administrative leave?" Do you think that private sector employers should be required to have the same policy, or do you agree with the current dual-class structure?

My guess is that paid administrative leave is a workplace version of innocent until proven guilty. I wouldn't be surprised if it originated in union contracts.

I'd be pretty angry if I were falsely accused of workplace wrongdoing, suspended without pay for two weeks, found to have done nothing wrong, and then brought back to work after losing two weeks pay.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:37 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,754,520 times
you're talking about the united states federal government. this is the same corporation that has something called "nonessential employees."

Old 05-26-2013, 05:47 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
You're confused by this?

This is what the government does best, pays two, sometimes three people for one position.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:28 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
My guess is that paid administrative leave is a workplace version of innocent until proven guilty. I wouldn't be surprised if it originated in union contracts.

I'd be pretty angry if I were falsely accused of workplace wrongdoing, suspended without pay for two weeks, found to have done nothing wrong, and then brought back to work after losing two weeks pay.
What if you were found to have done something wrong, and terminated after the 2 weeks? Would you expect to paid for those two weeks of sitting at home? That's how "administrative leave" generally seems to work.

BTW one reason this grates on me is that "administrative leave" is a prime example of bureaucratese that is intended to confuse and obfuscate. What does the adjective "administrative" even mean? Is there a "non-administrative" leave. Are there other types of leave? IMO "administrative" is thrown in to confuse Joe-lo-info voter. If clarity of communication were desired, they'd just call it "paid leave."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies