Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 11:39 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,552,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I had to write him off somewhere around the "Can I get a "****" you" era. N**** in Paris didn't help matters either. Nor did 99 problems.

Well to be honest, considering the number of songs he has out there in his catalog, I think he is an underachiever. The number I enjoyed is very very small. He's definitely not my favorite rapper, and it didn't really take much for me to write him off. There are plenty of other terrible rappers I have written off over the years due to classless and tactless lyrics.
None of these songs you listed reflect the whole "rape culture" argument you made.

And Jay Z is the better rapper to ever live. Regardless of you feeling a different way, calling him terrible is an insult to the genre.

And Jay Z isnt an underachiever, he was simply never the "most popular" rapper, he was always running second or 3rd, surviving the waves of fads " DMX, Nelly, 50 Cent, Lil Wayne). he has longevity because he is so good while others fade to black.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:43 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
P.S. it doesn't matter if you sing about or Jesus while wearing a thong or a burka, it is always a problem when you aren't treated with respect by your fans or casual observers.
Automatic default mode respect only goes so far. Behave badly and you'll stop getting it, no matter how entitled to it you might feel.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-29-2013 at 03:49 AM..

Old 05-28-2013, 11:43 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
Calling it 'rape culture' is a bit excessive and over dramatized. You lose people with that phrase.

Was groping her inappropriate? Yes.

However, referring to it as 'rape' does an injustice to actual rapes that occur. You actually desensitize it by going overboard with it.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:49 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
However, referring to it as 'rape' does an injustice to actual rapes that occur. You actually desensitize it by going overboard with it.
Yes. Feminists trivialize rape with their laughably overblown rhetoric. It's hard to believe this thread isn't satire.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:53 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,775 times
Quote:
I saw this article/other coverage about this and I was totally shocked.

Beyonce's Butt Slapped At Singer's Copenhagen Show

Beyonce handled it very differently than I would have. I would have kicked him out, to make sure no one else gets any ideas that that sort of behavior is condoned or appropriate and would go unpunished.

I am not sure what I find more appalling, the fact this guy thought it was appropriate to reach out and touch her butt. Or the comments on the coverage that say she deserved it because she was wearing a skimpy outfit.

And there you have:
1. victim blaming
2. people claiming rights/ownership to someone else's body because of how they are dressed
3. condoning of the behavior by the public at large (one article I saw had comments like, whoohoo great idea, I should have tried that too or other insulting comments about meeting her at the afterparty for some private time)
4. The never-ending refrain of "boys will be boys"

Disappointing to say the least.

There might have been a language barrier. Maybe he thought she was singing the song directly to him, and mistook the lyrics as..."to the left, to the left, you can slap my butt, just reach out to the left". Wouldn't surprise me.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
None of these songs you listed reflect the whole "rape culture" argument you made.

And Jay Z is the better rapper to ever live. Regardless of you feeling a different way, calling him terrible is an insult to the genre.

And Jay Z isnt an underachiever, he was simply never the "most popular" rapper, he was always running second or 3rd, surviving the waves of fads " DMX, Nelly, 50 Cent, Lil Wayne). he has longevity because he is so good while others fade to black.
Rick Ross is making the most direct ties to rape in his lyrics.

Jay-Z falls into the general mysogynist camp. Generally speaking, referring to women in the general sense as b***** puts you there.

Jay-z is an excellent business/branding role model, but I am not impressed with his music.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:02 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Calling it 'rape culture' is a bit excessive and over dramatized. You lose people with that phrase.

The language used in the reactions by many uses very similar language to what is used to justify rapes. That's why the whole term rape culture was deemed. Rape isn't about sexy, it is about power. And the language used to describe women illustrates this. Although the term rape culture might be a bit too academic to use in general discussion. It is fair to saw the use of the term has exploded over the past 6 months in mainstream media.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:04 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,212,292 times
Quote:

Maybe he meant to call it "Rap" culture????

Old 05-29-2013, 12:06 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Rick Ross is making the most direct ties to rape in his lyrics.

Jay-Z falls into the general mysogynist camp. Generally speaking, referring to women in the general sense as b***** puts you there.

Jay-z is an excellent business/branding role model, but I am not impressed with his music.
The 3 songs you mentioned early by Jay Z are also 3 of the most commercialized in his catalog. i doubt you actually listen to his music, if you did , you wouldnt be making this argument.

and just for clarity, Jay Z refers to just about everyone as a B$&%^ when he speaks ill of them, sex of the person has never mattered.

take 10 minutes, google "Lost Ones,Minority Report, Song Cry, and Murder to Excellence "

then respond to me, atleast then, i will know your only knowledge of the man is not just the singles the media plays

Old 05-29-2013, 12:07 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
Quote:
The language used in the reactions by many uses very similar language to what is used to justify rapes. That's why the whole term rape culture was deemed. Rape isn't about sexy, it is about power. And the language used to describe women illustrates this. Although the term rape culture might be a bit too academic to use in general discussion. It is fair to saw the use of the term has exploded over the past 6 months in mainstream media.
Disagree, with the path your taking this down, simply leering or staring uncomfortably at someone is 'rape'. I hardly think the dramatization of this terminology helps actual rape victims. If anything it's an injustice to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies