Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 01:59 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
Wonderful platatudes that are totally unworkable in the real world. We got to see first hand the (in)effectiveness of the UN and "Multi-national cooperation" in Rawanda, Darfur, Lebanon, Bosnia and the list goes on. Ultamietly, the Europeans/UN/Globalinstas are more interested in bitching and whining than any real progress for the third world. the EU can barley keep it's own cities from sliding into darkness (French riots anyone?), nevermind play ball on foriegn soil. The UN has Mugabe and Chavez representing human rights councils. Face it, the Internationals are a flippin joke.
Unilateralism is certainly working extremely well, especially in Iraq.

Study: Darfur overshadows success of expanding U.N. peacekeeping operations - International Herald Tribune

The UN has had its share of failures (often due to inaction) but many successes as well. And Iraq's neighbors have a vested interest in not having a war ravaging their back yards.

UN Peacekeeping - FAQ - Meeting New Challenges
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 04:28 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Winning their hearts and minds...

Meet Abu Abed: the US's new ally against al-Qaida
With summary beatings and imprisonments, he has the methods of a mafia don. But he and others like him are crucial to American strategy

Old 11-11-2007, 04:39 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I think it's necessary to be somewhat subjunctive. Any action taken in Iraq will have numerous beneficial/detrimental/neutral consequences that can't be predicted, although they can be hypothesized and judged by their approximate likelihood. Most people (including me) don't have the historical background or training to judge those likelihoods with any real certainty, but most people can have enough knowledge to make educated guesses with some approximation of reality.

And do you mean that taking a poll (or holding a referendum) and getting an accurate picture of whether the majority of Kurds want us to stay there would be impossible, or do you mean it would be unwise to follow their wishes?
I'm sorry to have been unclear. I was referring to the difficulty of conducting an accurate poll among a divided citzenry in what amounts to a quasi-war zone. After all, most people would agree that polling done in the relative calm of the continental US is subject to a healthy degree of skepticism.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:50 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
1. If the war in Iraq is so horrible, why have recruitment numbers for the US Military gone up substantially since the start of combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan?
There are no jobs on the outside. There are now active recruitment actions taking place in high schools or funds are withheld. And, as mentioned above, gang members, criminals and high school dropouts are now accepted.

2. If the war in Iraq is so horrible, why have Re-Enlistment numbers gone up so substantially since combat operations began in Iraq and Afghanistan?

$20-30k reup bonuses, for starts.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:55 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
1. If the war in Iraq is so horrible, why have recruitment numbers for the US Military gone up substantially since the start of combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan?
This is an excellent question considering just about everything I have read is completely to the contrary.

Recruiters struggle to find an Army

McClatchy Washington Bureau | 11/09/2007 | Recruiters struggle to find an Army

— The Army is struggling to find volunteers for an unpopular war, despite recruiting bonuses of up to $20,000 and pay increases for enlistees that have beaten inflation by 21 percent since 2000.

It met its numeric goal of 80,000 recruits last year, but it paid a price in terms of declining numbers of high school graduates and lower scores on skills and physical tests. The percentage of minimally qualified Army recruits, known as Category IVs, has quadrupled since 2002, and the percentage that required special health or moral waivers has risen sharply as well.

It would seem that it won't be long now and the only requirement to join the Army will be a heartbeat and minimal brain function. Anyone feel a draft?

Old 11-11-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
There are no jobs on the outside. There are now active recruitment actions taking place in high schools or funds are withheld. And, as mentioned above, gang members, criminals and high school dropouts are now accepted.

"No jobs"? Come on, now. Got hyperbole?

2. If the war in Iraq is so horrible, why have Re-Enlistment numbers gone up so substantially since combat operations began in Iraq and Afghanistan?

$20-30k reup bonuses, for starts.
Hey, your side wanted to get rid of the draft. They did. Now do you want to get rid of the military? Good luck with that.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:04 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Hey there, I came to these forums to read up on gun laws in my state, and found this thread to be very interesting, and that I should give my few cents.

I am Active Duty US Army. No, I have not been to Iraq or Afghanistan, yet. Given my MOS, it's only a matter of time until I do get deployed over there. And you know what? I am damn proud of being a soldier to defend this nation, and can't wait to get my chance to do my part.. .
Fanatic Islamic and Muslim terrorists have only ever had one goal: Kill as many infidels as possible.. They will not stop until *everyone* is converted to Islam, and anyone who chooses not to convert is killed.
People like some on this forum, you know who you are, are the reason this country is falling. Not because of war-mongering presidents, but because of political activists that believe "God" should not be in the pledge of allegiance or on our currency, and that our borders should be open for anyone to cross, and whose only goal is to circumvent current governing powers for their own ideals.. .. This nation was founded on the principals of freedom, equality, and morality. . . "World Peace" will not exist so long as there are two living organisms on this planet, so please, PLEASE, do us all a favor, and get this fantasy of peace out of your head. It is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.End of Rant.
RickM, Thank you for your service to our country, and your very passionate defense of your beliefs. Very well articulated. Now that is from someone on the inside. . . And I completely agree about your thoughts on world peace. It is a beautiful idea but will never exist in this world.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:17 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I'm sorry to have been unclear. I was referring to the difficulty of conducting an accurate poll among a divided citzenry in what amounts to a quasi-war zone. After all, most people would agree that polling done in the relative calm of the continental US is subject to a healthy degree of skepticism.
Of course polls have flaws (although most of the ones that have been taken have taken people into account from all the regions of the country, from various backgrounds with large numbers of respondents), but if we have no way of knowing the will of the Iraqi people then what's the point of bringing them "democracy?"

Old 11-11-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Of course polls have flaws (although most of the ones that have been taken have taken people into account from all the regions of the country, from various backgrounds with large numbers of respondents), but if we have no way of knowing the will of the Iraqi people then what's the point of bringing them "democracy?"
I don't think that "knowing the will of the Iraqi people" (which is, on its face, an impossibility; it's like saying "Americans think that....") has very much to do with "bringing them 'democracy'". The former is a research project; the latter is a strategic goal.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:18 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
This is an excellent question considering just about everything I have read is completely to the contrary.

Recruiters struggle to find an Army

McClatchy Washington Bureau | 11/09/2007 | Recruiters struggle to find an Army

— The Army is struggling to find volunteers for an unpopular war, despite recruiting bonuses of up to $20,000 and pay increases for enlistees that have beaten inflation by 21 percent since 2000.

It met its numeric goal of 80,000 recruits last year, but it paid a price in terms of declining numbers of high school graduates and lower scores on skills and physical tests. The percentage of minimally qualified Army recruits, known as Category IVs, has quadrupled since 2002, and the percentage that required special health or moral waivers has risen sharply as well.

It would seem that it won't be long now and the only requirement to join the Army will be a heartbeat and minimal brain function. Anyone feel a draft?

Well yes, like much of the rest of Rick's impassioned rant it was based on complete falsehood. But that has not stopped the administration or it's 20% fanatic support base of zanies up to now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies