Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:18 AM

361 posts, read 385,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Thank you for mentioning 1984, I loved that book.

Obviously you have not been reading any of my previous posts. Where did I say it was okay for suspending the student over this? So basically you are reading what you want to read rather than what I am actually writing, that is very typical for you.

I will state this one more time for you, I have no problem with the student being questioned over this comment. I can see how it could be taken the wrong way in the light of our present day gun culture and the easy access to guns children seem to have these days. I do however think the suspension of the child, even for one day was uncalled for.

How the questioning of the student was handled is something I haven't commented on because I wasn't there nor do I know how it happened. A school isn't a court room and a principal can question a student on issues that happen within the school without a parent being present. The details of how that happened I have not commented on nor will I comment on because I wasn't there and would be doing nothing more than guessing what happened based off the bits of information I read on the topic.

If you don't like anything in this post, that is your problem, but at least try to be more accurate when commenting on what I write.

I don't understand why you have no problem with how the student was detained and questioned. I agree none of us were there but the article states the student was questioned by the school official and a sheriff's deputy. They wanted to conduct a warrantless search of the student's home. Change a few facts around and the bell may toll for thee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 11:27 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
I don't understand why you have no problem with how the student was detained and questioned. I agree none of us were there but the article states the student was questioned by the school official and a sheriff's deputy. They wanted to conduct a warrantless search of the student's home. Change a few facts around and the bell may toll for thee.
Well police always want to search without a warrant, but a search of the house never happened because they didn't have one nor had a reason to get one. I would rather see the child questioned than to ignore warning signs. I do think much of it was an overreaction with the way the whole thing was handled.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:31 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,947,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The suspension was reduced to one day in the end, but there is absolutely no reason that this child should have been punished for what he said. The principal and any other administrators should be out of a job over this one, but I'm sure they won't be.
Was it reduced to one day or was the 10 days a threat or the kids fabrication? I guess we will never really know?

I'm a little leary of the whole story. especially the version of an 11 year old. Im sure not gonna call for the firing of anyone...before every angle is checked...right?

Of course.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:35 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Well police always want to search without a warrant, but a search of the house never happened because they didn't have one nor had a reason to get one. I would rather see the child questioned than to ignore warning signs. I do think much of it was an overreaction with the way the whole thing was handled.
The kid was 11 years old. Any conversation with him about the issue should have consisted the principal asking "What did you mean with your comments?" and the kid explaining. End of conversation. Instead, the school detained the child, called in a deputy sheriff, further questioned the child, questioned the child's father, and attempted to perform a search without a warrant. Everything about this situation screams stupidity on the part of the school administration. And these are the people running our schools.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Was it reduced to one day or was the 10 days a threat or the kids fabrication? I guess we will never really know?

I'm a little leary of the whole story. especially the version of an 11 year old. Im sure not gonna call for the firing of anyone...before every angle is checked...right?

Of course.
The reduction and original suspension were verified by the ACLU. Ask them. Read my above post for response to the rest of your statement.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:38 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
The kid was 11 years old. Any conversation with him about the issue should have consisted the principal asking "What did you mean with your comments?" and the kid explaining. End of conversation. Instead, the school detained the child, called in a deputy sheriff, further questioned the child, questioned the child's father, and attempted to perform a search without a warrant. Everything about this situation screams stupidity on the part of the school administration. And these are the people running our schools.
You say that like he was held in jail....no, the kid sat in the school office. And yes, I agree the situation was an overreaction.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
You say that like he was held in jail....no, the kid sat in the school office. And yes, I agree the situation was an overreaction.
I neither mentioned jail nor implied it. Detained as in detention as in kept late. All over a word. It wasn't an overreaction, it was sheer stupidity.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:41 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,245,092 times
Default 11-year-old boy suspended from school for merely TALKING about guns

And, city data can suspend people for longer than that for many other smaller reasons, so, maybe children at least should be paying attention to current subjects and curriculum instead of talking about guns in schools.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:45 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,947,399 times
Quote:
I neither mentioned jail nor implied it. Detained as in detention as in kept late. All over a word. It wasn't an overreaction, it was sheer stupidity.
I think this whole "story" is a overreaction. I have no direct knowledge of the school's over-reaction...but there is plenty of over-reaction to the story on this thread.

people just love to pump-up the drama...

Old 06-06-2013, 11:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I think this whole "story" is a overreaction. I have no direct knowledge of the school's over-reaction...but there is plenty of over-reaction to the story on this thread.

people just love to pump-up the drama...
The thing is if you don't bring this to the public's attention and get it rectified then it can become the norm.
If no one complains then it won't stop and only get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies