Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 02:04 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,673,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Prove it. Cite for me the provisions of the treaty that do all the imaginary things you say it does.

I'll wait.

It may not happen today, tomorrow or even next year, but later likely

Quote:
the treaty could be used as the basis for additional gun regulations inside the U.S. and have threatened not to ratify.
Read more: Kerry says US will sign UN treaty on arms regulation despite lawmaker opposition | Fox News

Quote:
the treaty requires countries to take measures to prevent the diversion of conventional weapons to the illicit market. This is among the provisions that gun-rights supporters in Congress are concerned about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Read better articles. People are feeding you deliberate lies, thinking you are naive enough to uncritically pass them on. It appears they're right. Doesn't that p.ss you off?
I guess (CNN) Communist News Network would fit you better)

Old 06-11-2013, 02:06 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,429,720 times
It could. And my scratching an itch on the back of my hand could also cause a break in skin that allows MRSA to get in and I could lose my hand. The chances of that happening, in all likelihood, are low. Again, fearmongering what-ifs. It still doesn't take away that the article attempts to conflate "signing" a treaty with "ratifying" a treaty. At worst (from your desired policy perspective), the Senate will ratify with severe reservations. In all likelihood, it's signed but not ratified like so many other treaties out there and the scary old treaty is nothing for you to ever worry about.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Fearmongering "what ifs" aren't terms and provisions of a treaty.
I guess you work for the IRS.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
It could. And my scratching an itch on the back of my hand could also cause a break in skin that allows MRSA to get in and I could lose my hand. Again, fearmongering what-ifs. It still doesn't take away that the article attempts to conflate "signing" a treaty with "ratifying" a treaty.
Congress is against it according to below.

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Well, perhaps this might help:

snopes.com: U.N. Arms Trade Treaty

8,059 posts, read 3,949,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Funny how the Constitutionalist have so little understanding of the Constitution.

Article II

Section 2 - Civilian Power over Military, Cabinet, Pardon Power, Appointments

"He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur;"

I'm curious, where do you see a difference in what he said and your post here?

Old 06-11-2013, 02:10 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,789,910 times
From an ABC News article:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/a...onday-19310268

The treaty will require countries that ratify it to establish national regulations to control the transfer of conventional arms and components and to regulate arms brokers, but it will not control the domestic use of weapons in any country.

That seems to take care of the question of whether it will try to change how Americans own and carry guns in the U.S.

But then the article goes on to say:

It prohibits the transfer of conventional weapons if they violate arms embargoes or if they promote acts of genocide, crimes against humanity or war crimes, and if they could be used in attacks on civilians or civilian buildings such as schools and hospitals.

I'm not clear on how a gun can "promote" anything. That's usually done by people, either the ones holding the guns, or the ones controlling the ones who hold guns.

And as for the second bolded part... ANY gun, of any description, can be "used in attacks on civilians or civilian buildings such as schools and hospitals." Including the pellet gun my 14-year-old son used to nail a garden rabbit yesterday, that was eating my wife's home-grown veggies.

What, exactly, does this treaty say about such "weapons that can be used in attacks" etc.? That we can't import them from other countries? Or that we can't import them against embargos from other countries? Or.....?? What does it say, exactly?

Last edited by Little-Acorn; 06-11-2013 at 02:24 PM..

Old 06-11-2013, 02:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Why does he listen to the UN over our own Congress ?
This is the 3rd time now..Copenhagen, Libya and now this.

We're not fully NWO quite yet.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:16 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,088,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
It may not happen today, tomorrow or even next year, but later likely
I did not ask you to read some crystal ball. I asked you to back up your own post.

You wrote that "it demands that every nation create a registry of gun owners, manufacturers and traders within its borders. And also that each country establish mechanisms that could prevent private individuals from purchasing ammunition for any weapons they do own."

Prove it.

Cite the provisions on the treaty that demands these things... or even hints at them,

I'll wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies