Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
yuh right And as you lied in canada is is getting easier to come by guns...... The tide is changing.

How many silk scarves are tied to your floor lamp? Can you start first fire? I doubt it.
What you know about guns could fit on a pin point and have room left over.

And being in canada your opinion is just that an opinion. Maybe you can vote for Obama next time In Canada.
I lied in Canada? About what?
No silk scarves.
What's this obsession of yours about starting fires? You keep bragging about it.
I have guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
So if mental health professionals start reporting to the authorities anyone who THEY deem as imbalanced, what becomes of doctor patient confidentiality. Furthermore, if it is known, would not someone of Holmes mentallity not avoid making statements that might lead to being placed on the database? Who is the final judge of who is a danger? How far back do you go? If you had a bout of depression 20 years ago, will that forever disqualify you? Too many questions and no answers.
Easy, Holmes' rights end where the rights of the widow's late-husband begin. That animal pissed on the rights of hundreds either through death, injury or relation to a victim. His psychologist/social worker COULD HAVE REPORTED HIM, she DID NOT! Because of her not wanting to break privilege she should lose her license and hell be financially responsible to some of these deaths.

As for the other things you mentioned, I would say that if you are deemed mentally unfit to own guns, you shouldn't and your house shouldn't have any either. There are places where you can lock up the guns away from the house. Perhaps this would have prevented Sandy Hook but it didn't happen.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:02 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Easy, Holmes' rights end where the rights of the widow's late-husband begin. That animal pissed on the rights of hundreds either through death, injury or relation to a victim. His psychologist/social worker COULD HAVE REPORTED HIM, she DID NOT! Because of her not wanting to break privilege she should lose her license and hell be financially responsible to some of these deaths.

As for the other things you mentioned, I would say that if you are deemed mentally unfit to own guns, you shouldn't and your house shouldn't have any either. There are places where you can lock up the guns away from the house. Perhaps this would have prevented Sandy Hook but it didn't happen.
This person should be serving hard time too........ 'psychologist/social worker'

ALL those who sign off on parole should serve the same time as the x cons they release that commit any new crimes on parole.

New laws need to be created to accomplish this along with making the doctor patient public data for the insane so a data base can be created.
If their doctors fail to make sure these insane get on the data base then the doctors should also serve time for crimes committed.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:05 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

I think you need to re-read my post.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:42 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Indeed, so lets prevent them from acquiring that tool.
I agree. Lock up the mentally ill in institutions where they are prevented from getting the means of murdering innocent people.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The question is how you accomplish that. Again the guns in Sandy Hook were subjected to a background check. So having a "universal background check" law in place wouldn't have made a whit of difference.

The problem lies in the psychiatric profession and the reporting. First of all, they need a narrower definition of mental illness, so that the guy who seeks counseling after a bad breakup with a girlfriend does not lose his 2nd Amendment right. Second they need a system of reporting so that the truly mentally ill can be flagged via nics (background) check.
Did Adam Lanza seek counseling? I don't think so! That's one of the problems. Unless you have some sort of "mental health police" that round up people suspected of being mentally ill, people still have to present themselves for mental health services.

I think the NRA latched on to the mental health issue b/c they knew that people would buy that. I'm all for more mental health services, but I'm also for some reasonable gun laws.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:37 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

I think the NRA latched on to the mental health issue b/c they knew that people would buy that. I'm all for more mental health services, but I'm also for some reasonable gun laws.
We already have resonable gun laws. The problem is laws don't stop people from doing what they want.
The cities with the strictest gun laws have the highest gun violence stats.

Look at it like this.... A red light has never stopped one car... Drivers choose to obey the law and stop. Some don't. How do you make them stop? Take away all cars? That would be absurd. Same with guns.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:47 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Neither.

The vast vast vast majority of violence has nothing to do with mental illness. Stupid to focus on, IMHO.
You are correct. Workplace violence, in particular, has a pattern of identifiable characteristics in the perpetrator. Once identified, the problem becomes how to handle it. Often firing of the employee is the catalyst that will set him off. Keeping him employed only delays the inevitable with a lot of headaches for the other employees meanwhile.

The following are indicators that can signal the risk potential of violent episodes.
• Sudden and persistent complaining about being treated unfairly
• Blaming of others for personal problems
• Sudden change in behavior, deterioration in job performance
• Statement he or she would like something bad to happen to supervisor or another coworker
• Paranoid behavior
• Sudden increased absenteeism
• Sexually harassing or obsessing about a coworker: sending unwanted gifts, notes, unwanted
calling, stalking
• Increased demand of supervisor’s time
• Alcohol or drug abuse
• Talking to oneself
• Instability in family relationships
• Financial problems combined with not receiving a raise or promotion
• Poor relationships with coworkers or management
• History of violent behavior
• Previous threats, direct or indirect
• Presenting and talking about reading material that is violent in nature
• Carrying a concealed weapon or flashing one around
• Quiet seething, sullenness
• Refusal to accept criticism about job performance
• Sudden mood swings, depression
• Sudden refusal to comply with rules or refusal to perform duties
• Inability to control feelings, outbursts of rage, swearing, slamming doors, etc
http://www.dli.mn.gov/Wsc/PDF/Workpl...ntionGuide.pdf

Old 06-12-2013, 10:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
^^Yet, I heard a psychiatrist talking on NPR shortly after the Newtown shootings, and he said the best predictor of commission of violence is a past history of committing violence! I laughed out loud in my car! You really don't know who's going to do it till they do it.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:10 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Yet, I heard a psychiatrist talking on NPR shortly after the Newtown shootings, and he said the best predictor of commission of violence is a past history of committing violence! I laughed out loud in my car! You really don't know who's going to do it till they do it.
Considering there is a first time for everything, that would eliminate many people who have a potential for committing violence.

A very good book written to help identify potential problem people is :

Quote:
The Gift of Fear is a nonfiction self-help book (1997) written by Gavin de Becker. The book provides strategies to help readers avoid trauma and violence by teaching them various warning signs and precursors to violence.
The Gift of Fear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Excellent reading! I highly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies