Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Edward Snowden a heor or traitor?
Hero 87 54.72%
Traitor 48 30.19%
I refuse to say due to the risk of NSA spying on me 15 9.43%
I don't care 9 5.66%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:06 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times

Advertisements

You I always wondered how such a low ranking undereducated person have access to so much information in the first place. Does that strike anyone as being odd? If anyone ever applied for a federal job you have to have a hell of alot of education to be at the level that he was at not to mention the security clearances that he had to have. I wonder if there is something more to this than what is be released to the public
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 09:18 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,091,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You I always wondered how such a low ranking undereducated person have access to so much information in the first place. Does that strike anyone as being odd? If anyone ever applied for a federal job you have to have a hell of alot of education to be at the level that he was at not to mention the security clearances that he had to have. I wonder if there is something more to this than what is be released to the public
Lowly Private Bradley Manning had access to a lot of classified information too including the now infamous Collateral Murder video which has for all intents and purposes made journalist Julian Assange a prisoner in the Ecuadorian embassy in London.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Lowly Private Bradley Manning had access to a lot of classified information too including the now infamous Collateral Murder video which has for all intents and purposes made journalist Julian Assange a prisoner in the Ecuadorian embassy in London.

But does'nt that ring a bell? Personally I think that alot of it has to do with the ongoing battles between the NSA, CIA and the military. There are officers that do not have the type of access that this private had

Old 07-22-2013, 11:26 AM

Default Gen. Hayden’s Glass House

Quote:
Former National Security Agency Director Michael Hayden should not throw any more stones, lest his own glass house be shattered. His barrage Friday against truth-teller Edward Snowden and London Guardian journalist Glenn Greenwald invited a return rain of boulders for Hayden committing the same violations of constitutional protections that he is now excusing.
Quote:
But it is Michael Hayden who is in a class by himself. He was the first NSA director to betray the country’s trust by ordering wholesale violation of what was once the First Commandment at NSA: “Thou Shalt Not Eavesdrop on Americans Without a Court Warrant.†Not to mention playing fast and loose with the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 and the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution.
I strongly suggest reading this whole article to gain a clearer perspective of Edward Snowden's detractors.

Gen. Hayden

Michael Hayden: "probable cause" is not in the 4th Amendment - YouTube

Old 07-30-2013, 03:38 PM

In NSA leaks, Edward Snowden performed a service

Quote:
Edward Snowden’s renegade decision to reveal the jaw-dropping scope of the National Security Agency’s electronic surveillance is being vindicated — even as Snowden himself is being vilified.

Intelligence officials in the Obama administration and their allies on Capitol Hill paint the fugitive analyst as nothing but a traitor who wants to harm the United States. Many of those same officials grudgingly acknowledge, however, that public debate about the NSA’s domestic snooping is now unavoidable.
Eugene Robinson: Snowden performed a valuable service - The Washington Post

Old 08-01-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
But does'nt that ring a bell? Personally I think that alot of it has to do with the ongoing battles between the NSA, CIA and the military. There are officers that do not have the type of access that this private had
That is what I thought was interesting. I served in the military and can say that certain information is virtually impossible for a private to get to. What happened is that he embarassed the military and a few spy agencies who are fighting amongst themselves with the information that he presented to the public. It is the same thing with the other guy as well

Old 08-02-2013, 08:17 AM

Edward Snowden is a Whistleblower
Quote:
But I did want to clear up a question that seems to keep coming up: whether Snowden is a whistleblower. It is actually not a hard question to answer. The Whistleblower Protection Act protects "any disclosure" that a covered employee reasonably believes evidences "any violation of any law, rule, or regulation," or "gross mismanagement, a gross waste of funds, and abuse of authority, or a substantial and specific danger to public health or safety."
Edward Snowden is a Whistleblower | American Civil Liberties Union

So it's settled, Edward Snowden is in fact a whistleblower and should be protected as such.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:52 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:

So it's settled, Edward Snowden is in fact a whistleblower and should be protected as such.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:04 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,945 times
Quote:

I agree with this.

Snowden revealed what I have been telling people for a couple of decades: Nothing is private; everything is monitored and the government knows everything about you.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:17 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Why is the poll closed?

I CANT VOTE!!

I was gonna vote HERO and post my reasoning: IF THE GUY IS REAL,HE IS A HERO!!!!! (Although most of us knew this crap was going on all along!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies