Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how offended are you by the N word
It doesn't offend me at all 55 27.64%
It only offends me when used in a racist manner 33 16.58%
It offends me........period 51 25.63%
it's the worst word in the English laungauge 4 2.01%
people are too politically correct in this country........give it a rest 56 28.14%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 06:40 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This is dumb thinking. Language is all about context and relationships.

If I call my wife a special nickname that I have for her, and you over hear me saying that nickname, you'd know immediately it would be inappropiate for you to use the same nickname with her as I did.

You'd know this because you understand that you don't have the same relationship with her as I do so that relationship gives me access to use certain words with her that you don't have.

You wouldn't go around saying well her husband calls her that nickname why can't I and pretend that if I don't want anyone to call my wife that nickname, then I shouldn't call her that nickname.

Everyone would look at a person who made that argument as if they were an alien who didn't understand human language or relationships.

This is an uncontroversial understanding of human language, that is it about context and relationships. This applies to all language all the time and we all understand this application. Now stop being silly.
love this. and people like alpha know this and would still probably use the word even if no rapper said it ever. there are many words used by people within certain groups that are not appropriate for other people to use. but hey, it's a free country. you can say whatever you like. just don't get mad about the consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 06:44 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,502 times
and I'm not buying that so many of you hear this word so much between blacks. I'm black and I live in Hampton Roads (lots of black folks). I haven't heard anyone use it since I've been here. I cannot remember the last time I heard someone say it outside of a rap song.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:52 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
About the only people I hear in real life use the n-word are young Hispanics.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:59 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,206,442 times
I don't like the word. It shows disrespect to blacks for one thing. I also don't like the word "cracker" or "gringo" because it shows disrespect to white people. If one of these disrespectful words is ok so are the others...Anyone who has ever used the word "cracker" has no right to complain about others who use the "N" word but try and convince them this is next to impossible....Don't call me names and I won't call you names...how does that sound?

Old 06-22-2013, 07:01 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,164,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
and I'm not buying that so many of you hear this word so much between blacks. I'm black and I live in Hampton Roads (lots of black folks). I haven't heard anyone use it since I've been here. I cannot remember the last time I heard someone say it outside of a rap song.
Really? I live just north of Flint MI and for any day I drive through and around the city, I definitely hear it almost daily albeit, admittedly, via music from cars near me.
Also stopping in the city for gas, at the grocery store, etc. Heck yes. Perhaps it is regional.

But I do think that is more cultural than racial. I have black friends and also work for several upper-class black people and I never hear that word in their presence. But in the 'hood, absolutely yes, commonly. For the record, I don't like it whatever the origin.

I can't think of the last time I heard that from a white person. actually. I would choose not to associate with people who typically used that word so there is some self-selection.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:47 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,918,925 times
I voted for the last choice because I am not offended by words and I loathe people that hide behind such cowardice.

With that being said, there are words that are not to be said due to the negative meaning and connotations. The N word is one of them. Out of respect for my fellow man, I would not say this word nor would I tolerate people using it around me. But to whine about it and say I'm offended, no, that's BS.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:39 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
So I have a friend of mine that uses this word in a racist way constantly, and I confronted him on it last night at a BBQ. I was surprised to find that I wasn't the only one that stepped forward on the issue once the ball was rolling. The thing is, several of my friends including myself use the word in a joking way mainly because of pop culture. when one of my white or Latino friends sends me a text message that says " what's going on %$^#&% I really don't put much thought into it, but listening to this particular friend talk about black people using the N word in a negative way really has turned me off to using the word in a joking way, especially after confronting him on it.

how offended are you by the N word
You're the one who needs to adjust your attitude toward a silly word.

It's either offensive or it isn't.

Make up your mind.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:44 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,946,157 times
I think it is one of those words that should disappear. A word should be acceptable for everyone or not be used. That is the problem with this word. It is acceptable to use if you are the race that it targets, but if someone uses it towards that group, it is racist. That line can be crossed far too easily and creates such a double standard. It was a word used in the past during a time that frankly most of us hate ever happened. It is a question of political correctness, it is a question of respect. I am certain that those who fought so much and sacrificed so much to end segregation would rather it never be said again along with similar terms.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:45 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,911 times
It's a WORD! You'd have to be a bored mental midget to be offended by a WORD!

Old 06-22-2013, 08:52 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
I ride the bus to work, sometimes, and, oftentimes, there's a great number of Black people in the bus, and I hear that word being tossed about amongst themselves, but have a white man toss that word about, and you could be arrested or killed! What gives!!!

I'm Gay, I'm not offended at all when I'm referred to by the Q or F word! I appreciate the honesty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies