Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how offended are you by the N word
It doesn't offend me at all 55 27.64%
It only offends me when used in a racist manner 33 16.58%
It offends me........period 51 25.63%
it's the worst word in the English laungauge 4 2.01%
people are too politically correct in this country........give it a rest 56 28.14%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 04:30 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
So I have a friend of mine that uses this word in a racist way constantly, and I confronted him on it last night at a BBQ. I was surprised to find that I wasn't the only one that stepped forward on the issue once the ball was rolling. The thing is, several of my friends including myself use the word in a joking way mainly because of pop culture. when one of my white or Latino friends sends me a text message that says " what's going on %$^#&% I really don't put much thought into it, but listening to this particular friend talk about black people using the N word in a negative way really has turned me off to using the word in a joking way, especially after confronting him on it.

how offended are you by the N word
I find it extremely offensive & I don't care who's saying it, black, white, Asian, what have you. I've never said that word & I don't feel a need to say it. My landlord a couple of years ago was hanging out on my porch with me & a friend & he said that word like three times. After the third time I told him if he said it again I was kicking him off my porch. He has never said that word in front of me again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 04:41 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,124 times
It doesn't offend me at all
&
people are too politically correct in this country........give it a rest

There are no 'bad' words, just like 'hate crime' is not viable. Indeed,
Political Correctness is only a veiled restriction of free speech. ''The
Truth Hurts'' is a common phrase because it is often true.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:58 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
It doesn't offend me at all
&
people are too politically correct in this country........give it a rest

There are no 'bad' words, just like 'hate crime' is not viable. Indeed,
Political Correctness is only a veiled restriction of free speech. ''The
Truth Hurts'' is a common phrase because it is often true.
So do you say f*ck in front of your parents or boss?

Old 06-23-2013, 07:51 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
I admit I find it offensive.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski View Post
I notice you stop short of saying your kids use the word. I can promise you, if your kids friends use the word...so do your kids. Would you have a problem if your kids referred to women as sluts and b*****s?
For me the "n" word is in the same category as the "f" word and all those others that my kids know gets them a bar of soap in the mouth. That could even protect their life one day -- they know better than to use that word and so shouldn't end up beat up for it.

I'm not even sure why it's offensive because I do hear blacks using it, mostly I hear chicanos using it, calling each other that term. I'm actually not sure what it actually means and why non-blacks would use it on each other. I know it doesn't mean *****rdly though.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:25 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times
Quote:
So I have a friend of mine that uses this word in a racist way constantly, and I confronted him on it last night at a BBQ. I was surprised to find that I wasn't the only one that stepped forward on the issue once the ball was rolling. The thing is, several of my friends including myself use the word in a joking way mainly because of pop culture. when one of my white or Latino friends sends me a text message that says " what's going on %$^#&% I really don't put much thought into it, but listening to this particular friend talk about black people using the N word in a negative way really has turned me off to using the word in a joking way, especially after confronting him on it.

Well, I can't say I'm personally offended since I'm white, but I rate it worse than an F-bomb. When whites use it, it's racist and evil--think about how many KKK members, lynchmobs, slaveholders, and other generally racist scum have used that word in reference to blacks.

When black people use it, I scratch my head, wondering if they even realize the baggage associated with that word. It's low class and vulgar. I even have written up African American students in my classroom for using the word in my presence.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:29 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,998,411 times
I wouldn't say I get "offended" anymore. If I hear it around me, I usually just shrug it off. But when I hear it directed at me, I get uncomfortable and annoyed and start thinking, "Can you be serious right now?"

Old 06-23-2013, 08:44 PM

937 posts, read 1,135,473 times
Quote:

I'm highly offended by the N word (and I'm black American). When I lived in NYC and commuted to work by train, I was constantly bombarded with black youth using the derogatory term. I will never, in a million years understand why they used such filthy derogatory terms and label it a "term of endearment."

I've noticed that blacks who use that word frequently, often suffer from serious self hatred and destructive tendencies. Many of them reside in low income housing and never accomplish much. Even worst, a number of them end up either dead or in prison. They are a total disgrace to the race and the black civil rights movement.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:59 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,602,433 times
I don't think that it is a word that should be used at all. I would rather hear the F word than the N word.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:10 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,991 times
Quote:

I'm not offended by any word, only the connotation behind some of them. With that said, I do find it to be an obnoxious word, especially when used by dumbass redneck, p***y, hillbillies, when directed toward black people. If the word is used to judge someone, based on something they have no control over ( like their race) then something is really wrong in the cerebral cortex, either that, or the offender is just a complete *******.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies