Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how offended are you by the N word
It doesn't offend me at all 55 27.64%
It only offends me when used in a racist manner 33 16.58%
It offends me........period 51 25.63%
it's the worst word in the English laungauge 4 2.01%
people are too politically correct in this country........give it a rest 56 28.14%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 08:29 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I know people (mostly older) that still refer to filbert nuts as "N***** Toes". Our area has very few African Americans, but I frequently hear the term "Wigger" (meaning white n*****) describing a white kid who dresses ghetto with his pants at half mast, wears chains, and listens to gangsta rap. Also, we hear a lot of the term "Sand N*****" for Muslims, Arabs, etc. The only context for African American that I really hear the "N" word used is usually when somebody is complaining about Obama. I don't use the word myself, but I'm not going to throw an indignant self righteous hissy fit if anyone else lets it slip out in my presence.
Silence is consent.

I do not allow people to use the N word I(or any other slurs) in my home or in my presence. I am Black and have experienced White people calling Hispanics and Asians racial slurs. I ALWAYS let people know that it is not ok....and it is also an indication of what they most likely say about Black people behind our backs as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 01:02 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Quote:
Silence is consent.
Silence is also not giving a hoot because it's not important.
Quote:
I do not allow people to use the N word I(or any other slurs) in my home or in
my presence. I am Black and have experienced White people calling Hispanics and
Asians racial slurs. I ALWAYS let people know that it is not ok....and it is
also an indication of what they most likely say about Black people behind our
backs as well

Racial slurs directed at people solely for their race I can see, especially if you are in a discussion with your friends about, well, racial issue. General use for whatever slang "these kids today" are saying or people you don't know the context is a MYOB moment. That will make you a real buzzkill at parties too.

I like watching the evolution myself. I'm not so self important to think that a sound (word) that offended ME is going to be perpetually enshrined in a category of banned words because I didn't like it. Reclaiming a word for a new purpose is only bad for those who want the world to be angry in perpetuity. Sorry people. Know that in less than 2 generations nobody cares about what you thought. Words don't have power when nobody is giving it to them.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:55 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,148 times
When I was young and insulated from the realities of life I used to be offended by it because I thought it was a racist, degrading word to black people. In the small town I grew up in I don't recall ever hearing anybody using the N-word (unless we're talking about that other N word: Negro).

Then I moved to a multicultural area and now hear the N-word on an almost daily basis, the vast majority of N-word offenders being black.

Since the N-word is clearly accepted and often used by the black community in my area I no longer feel offended by it.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Silence is consent.

I do not allow people to use the N word I(or any other slurs) in my home or in my presence. I am Black and have experienced White people calling Hispanics and Asians racial slurs. I ALWAYS let people know that it is not ok....and it is also an indication of what they most likely say about Black people behind our backs as well.
For some reason I suspect you do accept racial slurs like "whitey", "anglo", "redneck" because whites are also called bad names -- at least as much as other groups are.

I think the "n" word belongs right in their with the "f" word and other vulgar terms and are used by the same kind of people -- but also the mirror image of those people are found in the minorities who use terms like redneck, cracker, anglo, gringo.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:18 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
As long as it's someone who gets my seal of approval to use it (who must be black or Latino to get it), I'm not offended at all.

If whites wanna use it on each other, I really don't care. Just don't use it with me.

I'm also offended if people use the word in public instead of in private. That's a no go. I don't think it should ever be uttered around non-users because it sends the wrong message.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:08 PM

580 posts, read 449,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Not in the least. It's a sound and unless someone is purposely being hurtful, which can be offensive, it can be said by anyone about anything anytime to mean whatever they like. My kids friends use the word all the time and trust that they aren't thinking about black people when they say it. I don't care. Some people do but oh well.
I notice you stop short of saying your kids use the word. I can promise you, if your kids friends use the word...so do your kids. Would you have a problem if your kids referred to women as sluts and b*****s?

Old 06-23-2013, 04:14 PM

33,568 posts, read 18,150,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
This guy should give it a rest.. he is over the top with how much pigment is in his skin.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:18 PM

33,568 posts, read 18,150,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Really? I live just north of Flint MI and for any day I drive through and around the city, I definitely hear it almost daily albeit, admittedly, via music from cars near me.
Also stopping in the city for gas, at the grocery store, etc. Heck yes. Perhaps it is regional.

But I do think that is more cultural than racial. I have black friends and also work for several upper-class black people and I never hear that word in their presence. But in the 'hood, absolutely yes, commonly. For the record, I don't like it whatever the origin.

I can't think of the last time I heard that from a white person. actually. I would choose not to associate with people who typically used that word so there is some self-selection.
What if a black albino used the n word in the hood and they thought he was white?

Old 06-23-2013, 04:25 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
I am white, and I think it is hurtful, and therefore offensive.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:27 PM

61 posts, read 41,689 times
I'm not black so I'm not offended by it.

I think it's because being that I'm white I'm used to hearing other whites, young and old, say it frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies