Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
It's not about a better deal. If you're so confused that you forget, or too lazy to go back out to the car, then pay for a store bag.
Why don't you greenies pay for all the bags? Or go volunteer to carry folks groceries out to their car one handful at a time? Put up or shut up. There is a planet to be save here dammit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 11:29 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Now it is becoming reality..........

"L.A. on Tuesday became the newest and by far the largest city to back a ban on plastic grocery bags, approving an ordinance that applies not just to food stores and mini marts but also big retail chains with their own line of groceries, such as Target and Wal-Mart."

L.A. approves ban on plastic grocery bags - Los Angeles Times

"Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, who has tried to curb soda consumption, ban smoking in parks and encourage bike riding, is taking on a new cause: requiring New Yorkers to separate their food scraps for composting."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/17/ny...anted=all&_r=0
How about this 1978 short story (quick read) Lipidleggin' from horror writer F Paul Wilson? I read it back when it was first published and I was so glad to find it still kicking around online. Now I hear they may make it into a movie. I think it could be a good TV show:

Doing Freedom Fiction: Lipidleggin'

Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Then go tell your green buddies to put an end to the evil windmills. If you support green you support the windmills.

Do you support solar? Why are they leaving toxic waste in their wake? Or do you not care about that either?
Every single energy source has disadvantages. That doesn't mean we should eschew them all and go live in caves. If I support green, I support the windmills? That's ridiculous.
And OK.
"HEY!" Green Buddies! Stop using the evil windmills!"

Happy now?

Old 06-25-2013, 11:36 AM

So you don't care. Got it.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:36 AM

398 posts, read 819,119 times
What I do not understand is why the fear of plastic bags? They are recyclable. There are big boxes in front of every store where you can deposit your plastic bags for recycling. Nary a one has to be blowing in the wind. When did recycling go out of fashion? The new reports also indicate the the reusable bags people are taking to the store are causing disease. They get contaminated with the food put in the bag, the bag gets stored until next usage, next usage they are contaminated and you get sick. One must take into the consideration the making of all the other bags. Making any type of bag has consequences. do not just consider the making of the plastic bag and what all that entails, also consider the manufacture of all the other types of bags. Use what bag you want. Why should anyone dictate to anyone else what type of "bag" they are into?

Old 06-25-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Why don't you greenies pay for all the bags? Or go volunteer to carry folks groceries out to their car one handful at a time? Put up or shut up. There is a planet to be save here dammit.
The people here don't mind paying for plastic bags. Furthermore, many of the bags we DO buy at checkout are made from cornstarch, not plastic. They cost a little more, but people seem to think it's worth it.
As usual, the US has dug in its heels and is lagging behind the rest of the industrialized world.
"I don't care what kind of mess I make or how many animals die! Nobody tells me what to do!"
You must be very proud.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:

The new reports also indicate the the reusable bags people are taking to the
store are causing disease. They get contaminated with the food put in the bag,
the bag gets stored until next usage, next usage they are contaminated and you
get sick.
There's a brand new thing out. It's called soap and water. You may have heard of it?

Old 06-25-2013, 11:41 AM

Now you speak for all people where you live? LOL

YOU apparently don't care how many animals die either. Are you a champion of removing all cars from the roads? I mean roadkill is everywhere. Ah the horror!!

Old 06-25-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Now you speak for all people where you live? LOL

YOU apparently don't care how many animals die either. Are you a champion of removing all cars from the roads? I mean roadkill is everywhere. Ah the horror!!
More ridiculous hyperbole from the right.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:46 AM

So are you saying cars don't kill thousands of animals? Or you only care about your whale who eats plastic bags? Which is it? If the whale is dumb enough to munch on plastic bags...............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies