Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 10:48 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,727,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
The fact that Zimmerman exited his vehicle to follow Trayvon, after saying "these *******s always get away" and "funking punks." He also says that Trayvon was up to no good. He kept referring to him as a suspect and had his mind made up about him. I find it unbelievable that he was looking for a street name or number and I also find it unbelievable that he was able to pull the gun out if his holster with Trayvon Martin on top of him beating up. I'm not sure if this was addressed, but how was the safety taken off? He was angry, before he stepped out of his car.
The problem for you is that a lot of that was contradicted in court. Serino and the NEN operator both testified that he didn't seem angry.
Both officers testified that they believed Zimmerman. So what you are finding compelling is what you are adding in your own head, not what's being testified to in court.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:48 AM

17,373 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
Actually it does, because if George Zimnerman had it, he probably wouldn't have thought about how a person may feel or react to someone following them around on a dark rainy night. None of our feelings have anything to do with the case, but not sharing an opinion doesn't mean that you have to be rude. It is also not necessary to lol and talk bad about a dead teenager that you don't know much about. The lack if empathy and compassion that I've seen here from Zimmerman supporters is disgusting. Saying it was self-defense is one thing, calling Trayvon names, making gun of witnesses and laughing at someone getting killed is another.
When was I rude?

When did I speak bad about a dead teenager?

When did I call him names?

When did I laugh about someone getting killed?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:49 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,019 times
Quote:
The fact that Zimmerman exited his vehicle to follow Trayvon, after saying "these *******s always get away" and "funking punks." He also says that Trayvon was up to no good. He kept referring to him as a suspect and had his mind made up about him. I find it unbelievable that he was looking for a street name or number and I also find it unbelievable that he was able to pull the gun out if his holster with Trayvon Martin on top of him beating up. I'm not sure if this was addressed, but how was the safety taken off? He was angry, before he stepped out of his car.
Not watching the trial are you.... FDLE just stated there is no external safety on that gun.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:49 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
School records, perhaps not for confidentiality reasons. Although I'm not sure that applies when the student is dead. I would expect that witnesses that could attest to his past behavior would be. The entire case really depends on who initiated the physical confrontation, which relates (somewhat) to the past behavior of the participants. If the prosecution is allowed to portray George's past, I would think that the defense would be able to show Martin's. For example, based on a reasonable person's common sense and life experience, which 17 year old would be more likely to assault an innocent person?

1. An honor student and boy scout. One with say a history of volunteering in his community or church, and with an exemplory school record.

2. A student with a history of vandalism of public property, possession of suspected stolen property, illegal drug use, Twitter posts of flipping off the camera, a camera with videos of fights, drugs and guns and a school history that inculdes 3 suspensions in one year. And who was in fact currently suspended at the time of the assault.

Which would seem more likely to a reasonable person?
Seems to me if the state is trying to use Zimmermans past to establish state of mind that is crucial to getting a 2nd degree murder charge. The defense should be allowed to do the same. I guess we will see.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:50 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
The state has not proved that GZ put his hands on TM first.

The State has proven that Zimmerman FIRST pursued Martin.

There will also be a jury instruction given to the jury by the Court that they are to consider the "totality of the evidence".....in other words, not just is it illegal to follow someone, etc., etc.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:52 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,082,296 times
Quote:
Should have bolder "reasonably" also.
That is for the jury to decide, isn't it?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:52 AM

370 posts, read 247,004 times
Quote:
Should have bolder "reasonably" also.

you're really getting desperate now.

skittles should have kept his hands to himself.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:53 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Can anyone share what they feel has been the evidence or testimony that has shaped their opinion of the outcome, if they have one?

For me, the most telling so far was when the investigating officer told GZ tha lt he had video and better come clean and the response was, "thank God".

As I've said, no skin in the game and I may change my mind as the trial goes on.
That was very telling to me. Normally when confronted with this interview technique suspects confess or lawyer up. He was relieved. Now just because he thinks he acted reasonably doesn't mean he did legally but atleast it shows to me he didn't act with depraved indifference. The prosecution should have went for manslaughter.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:55 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
The problem for you is that a lot of that was contradicted in court. Serino and the NEN operator both testified that he didn't seem angry.
Both officers testified that they believed Zimmerman. So what you are finding compelling is what you are adding in your own head, not what's being testified to in court.
I added in my head that Zimmerman made those statements? He made them. We've all heard them say it. Of course he wasn't angry after he killed him. That's common sense. Serino did not say that he didn't sound angry on the recorded call, he also thought Zimmerman's attitude was strange and that he exaggerated his injuries. It only matters what the jury finds compelling. I answered the question that I was asked and I can't make up what he says in the call to the police department or the fact that he was carrying a loaded gun around and got out of his car to follow someone that he referred to as an *******, punk and suspect.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:55 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
The state has not proved that GZ put his hands on TM first.
Neither side has proved who was hands on first. But, we do know George was the aggressor....following even on foot. Even after the kid ran, as George told the operator.
So, the witness demonstrated that it takes two hands to shoot George's gun? So, how did George manage that again?

Last edited by JanND; 07-03-2013 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies