Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 05:17 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

Well...that was not so entertaining to watch. The cops can claim justification in shooting the dog, but, it loomed more like the cop WANTED to shoot it, to me. I have seen WAY more aggresive dogs. This one was hesitant, and didn't attack full bore. I'm not voing to give a lot of credit to the owner. Be did appear to want a confrontation. Not sure exactly how he was "obstructing justice" but me seemed to be guilty of being an ass.

At the same time, I also believe he could have easily regained control of the animal, had he been allowed to. Sad story is, cops had an excuse, thats all they needed. Bang bang. What was it? 3 or 4 rounds, point blank, and he gutshot tbe critter. .THAT is pathetic! Having had a little bit of experience with dog attacks(ferals are a problem here) another thing leaps out as to this dogs real nature. Upon the firing of the weapon, and him being hit, he immediatly retreated. In obvious pain and shock. A truly vicious animal will NOT retreat if merely wounded, at that range. The pain will adrenalize them, and the attack will escalate. If this dog was in real fight mode, considering the size and breed, I find an immediate retreat like that...odd.

All around sad issue. I am not going to side with the cops on this, although, I'm sure they will be vindicated. They had legallity on their side. However, I would not want to be around to see how this bunch reacts when things REALLY get hot. I would pick someone slightly cooler headed to have my back when things go pear shaped.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:20 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Well that was disgusting on all sides.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:21 PM

233 posts, read 239,016 times
People who break the laws and are convicted, we call criminals. People who are issued a gun and a badge prior to breaking the laws we call cops. The fact is the ego of many cops means that the very people who should NOT be doing this job are in fact police officers. This situation could have been defused by the cops comming over and tell the man that he needs to either be quiet or he needs to leave. Instead they escalated the situation.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I just got back from Yellowstone. I spent the whole week with Bear Pepper Spray strapped to my side.

I'd have preferred a gun.
Really? And what gun would you choose for bear protection? There is NO handgun, not even the big X frame SWs and customs that would stop a big bear decisively. Even a large caliber rifle would require critical shot placement, not so easy to do when your being faced down by a nasty tempered bear, and are shaking like a dog shi***** peach seeds. Note, the total ineffectiveness of three rounds(I'm guessing 9mm) point blank on a large dog. You shoot a bear, with anything under a 45 70 Govt, he's as likely to eat you as not. Standard handgun calibers would do little more than pizz him/her off.

I'm thinking you were better off with the OC spray. If you ever do decide to get a firearm for bear country, I would suggest doing some homework, and a LOT of practice. As it sits, a lethal encounter with a bear would probably see you coming up short.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:51 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Really? And what gun would you choose for bear protection?
Don't know, don't care. A relevant story:

In 1998 I visited Alaska for the first time, and immediately headed out to Eagle River to look for moose. When we arrived there was a sign, "Warning: Bear sitings today." My buddy (a local man who had been my roommate in college) opened the runk of his car to pull out and load a .357 Magnum.

My wife asked, "Mark? What's that for?"

He answered, "Oh, in case we get attacked. But it hasn't actually been made, "bear ready.'"

Paula, "Bear ready?"

"Sure, see the front site? To make this gun 'bear ready' you need to file that front site off."

"How does that make it 'bear ready?'"

"Well, that way it doesn't hurt so much when the bear shoves it up your ass."

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber
There is NO handgun, not even the big X frame SWs and customs that would stop a big bear decisively.
I'd be happy with indecisively.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:05 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Bear identification for dummies. When see a bear, climb a tree and see what happens: if it is a brown bear it will climb after you, and if it is a grizzly, it will push the tree down.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Don't know, don't care. A relevant story:

In 1998 I visited Alaska for the first time, and immediately headed out to Eagle River to look for moose. When we arrived there was a sign, "Warning: Bear sitings today." My buddy (a local man who had been my roommate in college) opened the runk of his car to pull out and load a .357 Magnum.

My wife asked, "Mark? What's that for?"

He answered, "Oh, in case we get attacked. But it hasn't actually been made, "bear ready.'"

Paula, "Bear ready?"

"Sure, see the front site? To make this gun 'bear ready' you need to file that front site off."

"How does that make it 'bear ready?'"

"Well, that way it doesn't hurt so much when the bear shoves it up your ass."

I'd be happy with indecisively.
True story. A 357 is a Red Ryder to a bear. As I said, the OC is as good as any handgun, and MIGHT (better odds than a handgun) give you a chance to bug out while critter can't see. Personally, I would rather live than die, gloriously, making my last great act of defiance facing a pizzed off bear with a handgun. Which is just about what it boils down to.

Never had the itch to hunt bear, however, I have seen large, feral hogs, run full tilt, 200 yards tbrough the brush, after being lambasted right through the heart with a 12ga 1oz slug. Went to a 30 06 after that.

So, arm yourself as you see fit, for bear country. Personally, I use a Marlin Guide Gun. 45 70 Govt., short barreled lever action, and pray daily before leaving camp I don't need it.

This unfortunate dog, in tbe video, well, honestly, I cringe thinking about the pain tbat dumbass cop layed on him/her with that patbetic little popgun and super frangible ammo. I didn't see the animal offering a serious threat to anyones life. Good grief, I have witnessed a 100 pound gal, animal control type, manhandle a Rott like this one. Just like this dog, the level of aggresiveness was just not there. But hey, cop got to get an education on just how not Hollywood reality is.

Last edited by NVplumber; 07-02-2013 at 06:19 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 07:57 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Nobody has ever been at risk of arrest because of "my perception."
lol You don't get it, Just like you don't get it that you cannot be arrested for challenging cops to arrest to you.

Your words

2. The guy clearly challenged the cops to arrest him both verbally and actively. His arrest had nothing obviously to do with the filming. He filmed for several minutes there and the cops let him. Not to mention the other people filming who were not even acknowledged.

He was arrested for challenging the cops.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:37 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There was no loud music in the video. And observing is not obstructing.

And I didn't see him "jump" out of a car.

These cops should be fired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
What music? I could clearly hear people talking while filming it but I couldn't hear any loud music.
Hawthorne Police Lt Scott Swain said that officers were warning Rosby to turn down the music in his car.
'It's distracting the officers. It's interfering with what they are able to hear,' Lt Swain said. 'It's not just a party call. It's an armed robbery call. The officers need to hear what's going on with the people being called out of the residence. That music in his car is bleeding over and it's distracting them.'
A neighbor who witnessed the event said they heard Rosby yell 'It's my (expletive) radio!' to officers.

Heartbreaking moment cops shot and killed dog who leapt at officers

Old 07-02-2013, 08:42 PM

233 posts, read 239,016 times
Put some headphones on, play the video. The guy is complaining about there being no black cops. MAYBE this may be inteference with a crime scene (but that is a stretch).

Here is what some on this thread do not understand. It should have been handled a better way by the police! The officers should have come over and said "sir, you either need to stop shouting or leave, failure to do so will result in arrest". Instead the cops (as they do so often) act like children and add fuel to the fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies