Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 12:50 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This program only applies to 4-year degrees at public schools in oregon. Do you really want your doctor to be from a public school in Oregon?
Sounds like you dont know much about Oregon colleges, OHSU is an amazing school to become a doctor at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 12:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
It's interesting that you folks talk without saying much. How about contributing to the discussion rather than be the peanut gallery? I know it requires some level of intellect but maybe you can find it somewhere.
Yes, anyone who recognizes that social policies like this have been collapsing and unsubstainable since the beginning of time, arent saying anything thats contributing, whereas you talking about the need to have degrees, in order to succeed, ignoring any basis of reaity, is all that is important.

I suppose people like Dell, Gates, Walt Disney, Richard Branson, etc, have never contributed to society in your mind and are just plain stupid..

Old 07-07-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
The fact that this country equates completing a 4-year degree to completing college is extremely sad. Higher education standards have gone downhill in the US due to this awful misconception and most people don't realize this.
If you were to get a bachelors degree, a masters, and a doctors, then you got three degrees, not one degree.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
They cannot. Completing college has always required a terminal degree. It has only been recently that people have perceiving otherwise (The last 70-80 years). Higher academia did not and does not serve a purpose of pumping out half-educated bachelors degree graduates. That was just part of the journey to getting a full education.
I assume you have a doctoral degree? You have a strange concept of college.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:56 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Apply to Princeton or Cooper Union. Princeton has a no-loan policy. As long as your income is under $180,000, they'll give you financial aid grants making it free. Cooper Union pulls tuition out of their endowment. UPenn is also relaxed for pulling money out of their endowment. If you want free or low tuition experience that other developed countries provide, apply to the highly competitive schools with large endowments.
Yes you will qualify for free tuition at Princeton if you are a stellar student. But not everyone is a stellar student.

In reality and by definition most of us are average, and there are even the below-average students like George Bush who still have a lot to contribute, and who should have the opportunity to go to college to better themselves.

Not everyone is a great student; that doesn't mean they won't benefit from college, and become a better productive citizen as a result.

I think it's ironic the people on here who are arguing against this brilliant plan; those are the same people who deride poor people for not getting an education.

You disparage and blame poor uneducated people who end up working at Walmart, and now you're critical of a plan that might help people like that---makes no sense.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yes, anyone who recognizes that social policies like this have been collapsing and unsubstainable since the beginning of time, arent saying anything thats contributing, whereas you talking about the need to have degrees, in order to succeed, ignoring any basis of reaity, is all that is important.

I suppose people like Dell, Gates, Walt Disney, Richard Branson, etc, have never contributed to society in your mind and are just plain stupid..
Yet people like Gates has a scholarship program that pays for students to go to college. Guess Gates supports college..

Seriously, your post is one of the weakest anti college arguments I have read.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:59 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Cooper Union may not be free much longer.

I don't know about this idea, but I'm happy to watch Oregon and see how it works out for them and wish them well. It would be sweet. Those who are very successful after completeing (yes, completing) their degree will obviously pay more over time than those who aren't. I wonder if that will become a problem? I suppose it's better than starting out with 100k in student loans.
How could it be a problem?

If all students are paying 3 % of their income back for 25 years, yes, the person who ends up with a high income will pay more, but they still come out way ahead.

No one is going to say, well, I just want to earn a low income for the rest of my life so I don't have to pay forward so much tuition!

Old 07-07-2013, 01:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yet people like Gates has a scholarship program that pays for students to go to college. Guess Gates supports college..
Good for Gates, I fully support him doing whatever he wishes with his money.
Quote:
Seriously, your post is one of the weakest anti college arguments I have read.
Once again you have to lie abotu what other posters said. I never once objected to collect, I simply said that not going, doesnt means you cant succeed.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:01 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
If you were to get a bachelors degree, a masters, and a doctors, then you got three degrees, not one degree.
Yes, I agree. You have three degrees and have completed higher education (college) at that point.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Sounds like you dont know much about Oregon colleges, OHSU is an amazing school to become a doctor at.
Noted. Does the program cover grad programs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies