Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 02:20 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,672,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
nobody would watch, only reason people express fake concern is because Obama is from there, otherwise they don't care about the ghettos in Chicago

MLK spoke about this same neighborhood 50 years ago, when was the last time anyone on here read a book or saw a documentary about the neighborhood????

Anyone, anyone, anyone????
I have: "The Interrupters", a riveting documentary about Chicago's Ceasefire program, which arose out of an article in the NYTimes : http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/04/ma...anted=all&_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 02:30 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,813,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Its a gang problem, crack down and give more punishment to gang members.

Street gangs are basically terrorist groups and should be treated as such.

Screw that, take away their black market. Legalize all drugs, and gangs will dry up.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,271,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Didn't learn anything from Prohibition.
What does alcohol have to do with anything?

Old 07-07-2013, 02:35 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,169,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Screw that, take away their black market. Legalize all drugs, and gangs will dry up.
A better idea is for an inner city marksmanship program. If we could just improve the kill ratio per bullet fired we could save the taxpayer millions. Maybe we could get that guy from Falling Down to roll out an ad campaign.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I have: "The Interrupters", a riveting documentary about Chicago's Ceasefire program, which arose out of an article in the NYTimes : http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/04/ma...anted=all&_r=0

That was a great read... cheers

Old 07-07-2013, 02:37 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,952,350 times
Quote:
I agree that we should go ahead and legalize drug use, but that won't get rid of the gangs... They will just change their attention to other things.. Gangs are older than the drug culture we currently have in the US... They have been around a lot longer..

Old 07-07-2013, 02:40 PM

40,990 posts, read 49,352,281 times
People will say Gun deaths in Chicago are dropping, I doubt it.

I'd bet shootings are up and better medical keeps the death toll lower.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
A better idea is for an inner city marksmanship program. If we could just improve the kill ratio per bullet fired we could save the taxpayer millions. Maybe we could get that guy from Falling Down to roll out an ad campaign.
How about we do things with a little thought to the reality of it. Violence begets violence, and by removing the impetus for the violence (illegal drugs) it is thwarted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I agree that we should go ahead and legalize drug use, but that won't get rid of the gangs... They will just change their attention to other things.. Gangs are older than the drug culture we currently have in the US... They have been around a lot longer..
And what would that be? Name three avenues that would generate profits enough to finance the livelihood of gangs.

Illegal drugs are their life blood. Take them away, and they'll be on life support at best.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:45 PM

46,381 posts, read 27,233,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
nobody would watch, only reason people express fake concern is because Obama is from there, otherwise they don't care about the ghettos in Chicago
Prove it, prove to us that Chicago was not the new prior to 2008 for murders.... go ahead show us...prove it...

Old 07-07-2013, 02:48 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,672,735 times
Quote:
How about we do things with a little thought to the reality of it. Violence begets violence, and by removing the impetus for the violence (illegal drugs) it is thwarted.

And what would that be? Name three avenues that would generate profits enough to finance the livelihood of gangs.

Illegal drugs are their life blood. Take them away, and they'll be on life support at best.
I agree about legalizing some drugs. But it's not simple.

An update on Boston's Ceasefire Program which pre-dated the one in Chicago, reported that in the 1990s youth homicides were drug-related. Recent homicides appeared to result from individual beefs---"you disrespected me or one mine. I have to get even with you."

The report is here. It also contains an update on Chicago's Ceasefire program.

http://councilcommittee.lacity.org/s...typ_019577.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies