Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 10:09 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
This cannot be right. The Obama administration and the Democrats told us that sequestration was supposed to move all people into the streets begging for food and leave our country in economic calamity. Those Republicans must be cooking these numbers to make everything seem wonderful.
I think we haven't yet seen the full impact of the sequester cuts. We will just have to wait and see.

On the other hand, according to Republican economy theory the increased taxes that kicked in this year should have produced lower government revenues. That has yet to occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 10:12 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Way to leave out the credit of the sizable spending cuts that were going to cripple the economy (according to Obama and the left), but I won't let facts get in the way of you being a political hack.
Spending STILL rose, so it's NOT sequestration that's responsible for the surplus, it's the increase in REVENUE. In regards to the impact to the economy, sequestration IS starting to hurt (and more pain is to come) but we'll survive it.

Sequester Impact Is Just Starting: Bell - Businessweek

Even Republicans are starting to complain about the sequestration:

Sequestration Cuts Cause Mississippi Republicans To Complain About Impact Back Home

Ken

Old 07-12-2013, 10:13 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,026,497 times
Drawing conclusions about the fiscal health of the federal government by looking at a single month's revenues and outlays is about as dumb as trying to draw conclusions about the quality of a football team by watching a single series. Even the Jacksonville Jaguars put together an impressive-looking touchdown drive every once in a while. Doesn't mean they're a good team.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
Drawing conclusions about the fiscal health of the federal government by looking at a single month's revenues and outlays is about as dumb as trying to draw conclusions about the quality of a football team by watching a single series. Even the Jacksonville Jaguars put together an impressive-looking touchdown drive every once in a while. Doesn't mean they're a good team.
I agree. One good month doesn't mean we've turned a corner. It's just "one good month" due to various income/expenses hitting at the same time.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:18 AM

20,726 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
This just shows you how dishonest all of this surplus talk is, the government gives F&F $116 billion, and they pay back half of it, and this is called a part of a revenue surplus? It's not revenue, it's money that never really existed, it was computer generated ones and zeros. This amounts to me giving you $116 in monopoly money, and you give me back $66 in Monopoly money, and I tell everyone that I just received $66 billion.
The financial system is broken. Its really that simple. Its akin to trying to farm with waste water from a water park as gamblers in Wall Street play and splash about. They do not directly finance industry. There is no direct investment. It will sustain itself, albeit painfully, as long as the dollar value system remains in tact. However value of that nature is , as we know, is not stable, especially when real capital keeps mouldering. We print money with nothing on the supply side. Amazing how people whine about "Keynesianism " when in fact that would result in roads, bandwidth, electrical grids and other tangible publicly created assets as if strip malls are so much better. We are far worse then activist government Keynesian policy gone bad. We don't waste money on government. We give money to bankers who were running up their credit cards on hookers and continue to drive up the cost of housing. We would be better off closing the banks and just running deficits with tax cuts and rebates. We are already doing money for nothing, but in this case with a big bank subsidy. There is no national debt per se. Its complete fiction. The foreign debt is much more of a concern when we don't make anything anyone wants to buy.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:22 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I agree. One good month doesn't mean we've turned a corner. It's just "one good month" due to various income/expenses hitting at the same time.
True, but it is not just one good month. The 2013 Fiscal year is on track to be a huge improvement over prior years. One year good year also doesn't mean we have turned a corner, but the projections for next couple of years show further improvements.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:23 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The trend seems to be higher revenues and lower spending, so I'd say the direction is correct, although the speed should be faster.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The trend seems to be higher revenues and lower spending, so I'd say the direction is correct, although the speed should be faster.
One time tax changes need to be taken into account.
That does not make a "trend".

The Bush cuts modifications and Obamacare tax changes and FICA reinstatement are one time events that happened last year.

You're not really comparing apples to apples here unless you remove the one time changes and look at the constant revenue/expenses that occurred between the 2 years.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:27 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life
I really doubt we have taken in more money than we have spent.
I agree ..... Its all BS to keep the sheep from knowing the truth!

Old 07-12-2013, 10:27 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,026,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
True, but it is not just one good month. The 2013 Fiscal year is on track to be a huge improvement over prior years. One year good year also doesn't mean we have turned a corner, but the projections for next couple of years show further improvements.

We've gone from profuse bleeding to merely severe bleeding. Yeah, its an improvement, but there's still a risk we're going to bleed out before we get it down to a manageable trickle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies