Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 02:11 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,984,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
The American black experience seems to be to be raised to believe that everything that goes wrong is someone elses fault, and that you are owed something by society for being black.

That is something that, in all honestly, I have noticed from many blacks. Going on and on about racism, slavery etc and never actually doing anything to pick themselves up. I have seen black guys in the ghetto with a crack pipe in one hand, a forty ounce in the other, screaming about how "the white man is keeping him back"

I suppose the "black experience" is the experience of blaming what happened to one's ancestors two hundred years ago as opposed to taking a big tall glass of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

If that is the case, than many suburban and professional blacks don't share the "black experience" neither, and neither do African immigrants. Hence, the "black experience" is really nothing more than "the experience of certain losers who happen to be black and not the experience of blacks who do something with themselves."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 02:29 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,478,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
IMHO Dubois would be counted as "anglo white" in 2013.
This has got to be the stupidest thing I read today.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:30 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,984,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
The OP is a prime example of the black experience...

here you have a self hating black who would prefer to be claim "mixed" due to being mixed up in the head. Blacks come in all shapes, shades, education levels, gay, straight, rap, rock, goth... etc.

So I guess Jessica Szohr (1/4 black) shares the "black experience". No different from an African immigrant

And I guess Martin Gore of Depeche Mode, who is 1/2 black (the genetic dice sometimes fall in weird ways) is also "just another brotha'" despite being raised in the UK, singing in a synthpop group and looking...well...

And African immigrants, working on an engineering degree and speaking Hausa as a first language, share the exact same experience as Tyrone Johnson, who speaks broken English as a first "language" and can barely spell "engineering" but knows good cocaine when he sees it.

Only in America does "yellow and blue make yellowish blue".

And more mixed race people are thinking like I do everyday. You can whine all you want to, but America is joining the rest of the world in understanding that "black and non-black =/= different shade of black".

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/us...anted=all&_r=0

And please, for the tenth time, could someone explains how this is an example of self hate?

Black History Month is here!!

Only for blacks would a disdain for ghetto culture and being aware of the entirety of one's ancestry be considered "self hatred".

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 04:57 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 02:40 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,478,115 times
I stand corrected.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:30 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,302,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

Any FACTS to back up that "fact" or just your "opinion"?

So, if you have a large portion of your family who is black and live in a black neighborhood, those blacks are irrelevant. I see

Blacks can be just as racist as whites, hence they are indeed relevant.

And if someone who looked like Slash said they were black, would that make them black? No. It would make them a confused mixed person.

The fact that most biracial people with one black parent are considered black in America is American history, and America's current reality.

You are simple minded. Those fictional black people in a fictional neighborhood just like all Americans are washed in the same racial nonsense as the rest of the nation. They'll identify people racially the same as the rest of America.

But for some reason that's where your focus stops. On those fictional black people.

You ignore the white supremacy and the white racial identity which are the core reasons these racial categories exist.

You ignore the rampant racial hierarchy that you yourself says exists. Are black people responsible for the racial hierarchy that you says places their race at the bottom? If what black people thought mattered in terms of racial categorizations, then black people wouldn't be rated at the bottom of the racial hierarchy that you says exists.

Yes, people that looked like Slash were considered and treated as black people in America. You need to read some history. And it didn't matter how they saw themselves or how black people saw them. American society defined them as black.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:38 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,917,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
This has got to be the stupidest thing I read today.
Dubois would'nt be "Black" in most places except maybe the US of 50 years ago.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:41 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,917,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
The fact that most biracial people with one black parent are considered black in America is American history, and America's current reality.

You are simple minded. Those fictional black people in a fictional neighborhood just like all Americans are washed in the same racial nonsense as the rest of the nation. They'll identify people racially the same as the rest of America.

But for some reason that's where your focus stops. On those fictional black people.

You ignore the white supremacy and the white racial identity which are the core reasons these racial categories exist.

You ignore the rampant racial hierarchy that you yourself says exists. Are black people responsible for the racial hierarchy that you says places their race at the bottom? If what black people thought mattered in terms of racial categorizations, then black people wouldn't be rated at the bottom of the racial hierarchy that you says exists.

Yes, people that looked like Slash were considered and treated as black people in America. You need to read some history. And it didn't matter how they saw themselves or how black people saw them. American society defined them as black.
In 1953 you'be be right; in 2013, not so much. Like I said before; most "octoroons" look pretty damn "anglo white", at least the ones I've met. Biracial people; they'd be pegged as "Black" in the US as you said.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

The point is the question no one has been able to answer in the context or present day, 2013: what is the "black experience"? Do blacks have a unifying experience? If it is only discrimination, than that would mean that Asians, Latinos, women and gays are also black because they too face discrimination.

And YOU are the one thumping the one drop rule, the most absurd racial category of them all.

Why does it seen to be so important for you not to be considered just black?

Would you be angry if black Americans most of whom have non African ancestry all started correctly saying they were multiracial or biracial?

They aren't really. I would say what every nation outside of the US says: if you looked black, you're black, if you looked mixed, you're mixed and if you look white, you're white.

I sincerely doubt Rebecca Hall (1/8th black) shares the "black experience"

That question has been answered with the truthful answer that there are many black experiences. It is a non question.

All of these racial categories are ridiculous not just the one drop rule. You just want to be considered biracial by American society.

I don't care what people call themselves.

Again, I'll go with Mr. Snipes, if Wesley Snipes said hey I am a white person, would people consider him white? No, because you can't choose your racial identity. This reality applies to everyone. And you agree with this kind of thinking.

If you want to get rid of a biracial black person being considered just black then you attack the foundation of racial identity which is white supremacy.

So you reject the reality of the multiracial and biracial heritage of most black American's?

Again you are doing the same thing that you accuse others of doing. You won't accept black people who have multiracial or biracial ancestry claiming their own identity, which is the very thing you are complaining about, but you don't see it do you.

Instead you support the same racist nonsense that one's racial background can be identified and determined by other people looking and determining their racial categorization for them, no matter what they think of their racial identity.

You are so confused on this issue. You do realize that this very thinking that you are endorsing is the main reason why most biracial people with one black parent are considered black? LOLOLOLOLOL. You support the very racial categorization that you claim to be against. SMH.

Of course you do this to exclude black Americans from being considered biracial or multiracial even though most are. SMH.

"if you look black you are black." that says it all about your mentality.

You have no credibility. And no reason to be upset with those black people identifying you as black, since you do the same thing. You just admitted that you deny the multiracial/biracial ancestries of black people and their right to claim that identity because they look black to you.

Obviously those black people that are calling you black are following your same thinking. LOLOLOLOL The fact that you can't see it.

Again, you aren't interested in progress at all, you support the same old racial nonsense.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73IsAnIdiot View Post
You do know that she is black...... right? You ignorant F.ucktard

Try listening to people who know what they are talking about before you run your mouth and look stupid...... like you always do
LOLOLOL, I love your screen name. Seriously, I hope to see Iamm73IsAnIdiot in many threads. LOLOLOL.

I don't know who the she is you are referring to.

If it is victoriapunk, I don't think she thinks she is black.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
In 1953 you'be be right; in 2013, not so much. Like I said before; most "octoroons" look pretty damn "anglo white", at least the ones I've met. Biracial people; they'd be pegged as "Black" in the US as you said.
Right about what in 1953 and in 2013 not so much? That most biracial people with one black parent are considered black by American society?
First you say I am wrong, then at the end you say I am right that in America they'd be pegged as black.

So which is it?

Please point me to any change in how biracial people with one black parent are cast in movies or tv shows or anything.

Do they play biracial people or are they considered black?

Think of all the biracial actors and actresses with one black parent are they ever portrayed as biracial? Why is that, if biracial people with one black parent is its own racial category in the minds of Americans why isn't that portrayed in movies or tv or anything really?

Where are the biracial politicians? Where are the biracial neighborhoods? Where are the historically biracial universities? They don't exist because biracial as a separate racial category doesn't exist in the context of American society.

I want it to be known, that in general I reject the whole idea of racial categorizations. These categorizations were not chosen by all groups of people. These categorizations were enforced are enforced onto mostly non white people in America and much of the world by a system of white supremacy.

Last edited by Iamme73; 08-07-2013 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies