Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:20 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Then the saying was "I want my MTV".... I lived out in the country in Northern CA, so I'd travel to southern CA and stay with my brother......there was a Licorice Pizza I'd buy one or two albums it's all I could afford after babysitting all winter Transistor radio anyone!

Yes, my friends and I would go to the college library and use this computer that played music and we could watch all the new songs. Imagine 5 girls gathered around one screen about 12 inches wide, watching Robert Plant with tight jeans and his shirt open

Our high times were gathering in parking lots or the park..... one person with the cool car and speakers they'd put them on top of the vehicle and played our favorite songs until 4 in the morning or the cops ran us off.
I was in my mid 20s, out of college and working in 81, and we were still transfixed by MTV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 10:25 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delongchampsnoir View Post
A hippie was any dude with long hair and cut off Levis.

I don't think most hippies were political in the 70s.
More like long hair, colorful shirts and bell bottoms.
More like anti war, we do not have that type of movement today, but we should, IMO.

Kent State Massacre - YouTube

California Dreamin - Mamas & The Papas - YouTube

Old 07-19-2013, 10:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Cocaine was the drug of choice in the late 1970s, and the worst part is that it was sold to kids as being perfectly safe and not addictive.
I think Cocaine has been illegal since the 1920's.

Usage exploded in the late 70's-80's. Sellers of illegal substances are not required to label their product.
I don't think most people understood the consequences, back then.

I can thank my mom for yelling at me as a kid to stop sniffing back snot for my aversion to putting anything up my nose.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:26 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The Oxycontin of its day except Big Pharma has better PR people.
And substantially funded and registered lobbies, too.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:31 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I think Cocaine has been illegal since the 1920's.
Last I saw in the '70s working in a lab that got a weekly trade paper it was a recognized pharmaceutical ingredient and traded as such. Just to get a little swoon from those of the white powder persuasion I believe at the time an ounce of 100% pure pharmaceutical grade was well under $100.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:31 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
By the mid-70's I was drinking and smoking pot every day. It was part of the culture. No one thought anything was really 'wrong' with it, it was just the way it was. Your teacher might mention the party he was at over the weekend, your priest might puff a time or two, maybe even your parents if you were a cool kid. No one really thought it was bad. Cocaine was an expensive, once-in-a-while occasion you relished and slobbered over . . . Acid ?!?!? oo0000OOFfff
I dont smoke pot, or drink alcohol at all anymore. I watched that era/mindset wreck a lot of people over time. I guess one area where the shift in thought process provided a positive outcome

Old 07-19-2013, 10:34 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Last I saw in the '70s working in a lab that got a weekly trade paper it was a recognized pharmaceutical ingredient and traded as such. Just to get a little swoon from those of the white powder persuasion I believe at the time an ounce of 100% pure pharmaceutical grade was well under $100.
We got JUGS of Black Beauty's
Ate them like M&M's.
And people worry about Phen Phen now ?

Old 07-19-2013, 10:38 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Ate them like M&M's.
Crazy times

What irks me these days is when I see ads for Big Pharma drugs meant to make you sleep or just relax a bit, when I hear the list of possible side affects I think I'd rather suffer the affliction they're trying cure and think they have a lot of nerve telling me I can't have a legal doobie for the same afflictions.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:54 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

Did you talk to any protesters? It seems like you were spoonfed your hate directly from the shills on Corporate Media.
Occupy camps were WAY too diverse for sooo many people to have the exact same opinions as you.
I actually went to the OWS in Wall Street one day because I was back home for 2 weeks. It was a surreal experience, both in a bad way and a good way. I wasn't protesting, I just observed. I spoke to some really plugged in people and some real idiots.

It was still a mob of misguided souls. They should have marched down to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave and handled business. Would have done them much more good.

Quote:
I was only playing tit for tat in the generation generalization game. My own Boomer parents and some friends/colleagues are nothing like the Boomer stereotype.
Fair enough

Old 07-19-2013, 11:58 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Ate them like M&M's.
Black beauties and MD 20/20, didn't know if we were coming, or going, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies