Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 06:24 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
I believe almost anyone regrets killing a person, even in war.
That's what bothered me about Zimmerman. Even though some people said he was upset that he killed Trayvon, in all the videos of Zimmerman, including the one immediately after the shooting, and whenever Zimmerman spoke for himself, in interviews with police, or on Hannity, he never once was upset that he had killed an unarmed teenager, nor has he once expressed real remorse or regret. In fact he told Hannity he had no regrets and would have done nothing differently. That's sad.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Now - you are being disingenuous. Was GZ so dumb that he needed a 911 operator to give him a COMMAND? Does anyone really believe that the dispatcher wanted GZ to follow Trayvon around the corner? A two year old could answer that one.

I'll bet you that today - GZ wishes he had stayed in the car like a reasonable and prudent person would have and should have done.
But he told Hannity he had no regrets and would have done nothing differently. I think he might be a sociopath. Zimmerman doesn't show normal emotion. Even when the verdict was read, not a muscle on his face moved. It was eerie.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I am sure GZ wishes it had never happened, but he will never admit that he did anything illegal, because he didn't. Nothing illegal happened until someone threw the first punch, and most people believe it was TM that did that. Not that that even matters, as much as the fact that he was beating GZ to where GZ believed he could die if he didn't put a stop to it.
And we still don't know who started the physical altercation.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:34 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,542,767 times
Quote:
Yet you really never paid attention to the whole call GZ made to the dispatcher did you? When he was asked if he was following the "suspect", GZ said yes, and the dispatcher said, "We don't need you to do that." Not really a command, was it? The dispatcher did however tell GZ to keep them informed as to what he is doing. How could he do that after TM ran around the corner of the building?
you can keep a distance and still following him and inform the police....btw, "we don't need you to do that" is telling him to back off anyway...

we wouldn't even have to worry about who was beating up who or who was top if he just listened...

Old 07-19-2013, 08:26 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,338,397 times
Quote:
Didn't watch the trial, right?
Was Trayvon Martin at the trial to speak for himself?

Was there any witness at the trial who was actually physically present and saw what took place between these two men?

Or are you just going off your own personal biases and not-very-valuable personal opinion along with Zimmerman's testimony?

Because if so, you would seem to have a very limited understanding of the trial process and what testimony is.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
I believe almost anyone regrets killing a person, even in war.
Zimmy said it was "God's. Will".

Old 07-19-2013, 08:55 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, I read about that study. As a percentage, blacks have been getting more favorable verdicts in SYG cases than whites.
Blacks are also less likely to be charged in the first place under SYG.

I understand why blacks in general are suspicious of the criminal justice system. They don't get a fair shake. But here is a law that seems to work.

And I see people like Sharpton and Jackson calling for it's repeal which proves they are either ignorant of the facts or they are scaring people to get money/attention. I suspect it is the latter rather than the former.

The Zimmerman case had nothing to do with race (at least on Zimmerman's part) but that doesn't stop people from using it to push a money-making agenda.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:16 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
That's what bothered me about Zimmerman. Even though some people said he was upset that he killed Trayvon, in all the videos of Zimmerman, including the one immediately after the shooting, and whenever Zimmerman spoke for himself, in interviews with police, or on Hannity, he never once was upset that he had killed an unarmed teenager, nor has he once expressed real remorse or regret. In fact he told Hannity he had no regrets and would have done nothing differently. That's sad.
He smirked after the verdict was read. He wasn't relieved. He smirked.

I'm pretty good at reading people. I was disgusted with Zimmerman.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:36 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,922,232 times
Wink Pistol Basics 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
One of my questions about Zimmerman is, when did he have time to chamber his round? See, for the people who are taking sides and claiming that their side is completely innocent, the truth somewhere between. There were a lot of details that obviously never surfaced because the other party is dead.
FYI, a pistol (i.e.: NOT a revolver, but rather ir's defined as a semi-auto handgun, like for example the infamous Glocks or a Colt's 1911) is certainly not routinely carried around without a round in the chamber. The ignition of that round by pulling the trigger is what, amongst other things, provides the necessary pressured propellant gases that then cause the pistol to re-cycle itself, and chamber another round.

In other words, it is not meant to be manually operated at any time other than to clear a jam or to initiate the chambering of a round into a previously unloaded firearm.

And so, to make it short, GZ was correct in carrying a "loaded" pistol with a round already in the chamber. As for it not having a specific safety, as some supposed "firearms expert" claimed (Oh Good God, not THAT! Isn't everyone, when asked to appear on national TV, an expert in something or other?), most of today's modern pistols do not have the traditional colt 1911 side safety latch. Rather, they have their "safety" integrated via several methods:

1) The trigger on many newer design auto-pistols has a small lever in it's configuration that has to be depressed through the normal process of firing the weapon. THis prevents accidental firing when the pistol is, for example, dropped. Note this device on this Glock, referred to in this drawing as the "Trigger Safety":

http://reynosawatch.org/minstrel/wp-....thumbnail.jpg

I'll also note that GZ's Kel-Tec PF9 does not have this specific safety feature, but has 3 other designed-in safety features, as described below. It is just as safe to carry as a Glock, which many police and private owners, including myself, an actual gun expert by golly, find "clunky".

2) The necessity to actually therefore decide to pull the trigger in order to fire the weapon, as with the K-T PF9. This is the thinking and knowledgeable person's mental safety, such that the gun won't fire unless you decide to do so!

3) This also does not mean in any way that GZ' K-T PF9 pistol had a "hair trigger", though the prosecution tried to get that screwball idea intro'd as evidence. Rather, it has a very normal 4 pound let-off trigger. So, was GZ carrying some sort of dangerously light-triggered pistol? Nope. Guns that wanna shoot all by themselves! Who'dah think, huh?

4) Finally, the length of trigger pull denies that short, hair trigger concept completely. These new pistols, such as the type GZ carried, again require a purposeful and deliberate trigger pull, such as in George's case, when his life was, as he so obviously determined, imperiled by TvM sitting on top of him and physically assaulting him.

Btw, for comparison, my dead-stock Smith & Wesson Revolver, in the v. powerful .44 Magnum, had a very slick 3# trigger pull, and a very smooth and effortless action. Police loved those big N frame S&Ws, but had to give them up, generally because the Glocks and other similar pistols like GZ's Kel-Tec PF-9 (see below) are far less likely to be accidentally discharged due to their requirement they be purposefully discharged.

http://gunssavelives.net/wp-content/...41PF9_4045.jpg

Kel-Tec PF-9's three (3) typical designed-in safety features:

A transfer bar system connects the hammer and trigger. A hammer block safety is incorporated which helps prevent accidental discharge if the pistol is dropped. The long double-action-only trigger pull provides an additional safety feature. Finally, as with all pistols of this type, the shooter must purposefully pull that long-action trigger in order to shoot the weapon. There's plenty of time in that long pull before it discharges: again, there's no dangerous hair trigger here.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:48 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
If Trayvon were a white person, he would still be alive.
Are you saying that a white person wouldn't assault a man walking in the same direction as them, punch them repeatedly, bash their head into the concrete, and say "you are going to die tonight"?

Skin color is irrelevant - it is the actions of Trayvon Martin that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies