Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 06:41 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
But they do not use retarded any more as a description, so what is the issue?
The issue is that it's hurtful to people with disabilities. I don't know why that's hard for people to grasp.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:41 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times
the only time I use it is when I say "bass-tard"

Old 07-27-2013, 06:53 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
With all due respect, it is pretty retarded to confuse your fellow challenged human beings with auto parts.
Were you and the OP offended when our President said this.......Towards the end of his approximately 40-minute appearance, the president talked about how he’s gotten better at bowling and has been practicing in the White House bowling alley. He bowled a 129, the president said. “That’s very good, Mr. President,” Leno said sarcastically. It’s “like the Special Olympics" or something the President said.

I didn't even get offended, my sister who has participated in SO didn't get offended, heck she didn't even understand what he said. Much about nothing.......

President Obama: I Bowl Like a Retard | Say Anything

Old 07-27-2013, 07:00 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Now just hold on a second there. Obama can do as he pleases. No southpaw will ever chastise the great ONE or be offended by his actions. He is above all reproach.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:57 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,809 times
There is nothing wrong with labels. Being female is a label. And to some, a label of derision. I'm not going to quit say it because some self proclaimed expert has deemed it so. Those idiots will you hopping from one PC phrase to another as they decide what words can be used.

Rather Orwellian, don't you think? Instead of Thought Crimes we could institute Speak Crimes.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:02 PM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I don't care much for the use the word retarded as a term of derision, but I am annoyed at the fact that we cannot use it in its proper context either.

My brother was born mentally retarded, but if I use that term, the PC Nazis get their knickers in a twist.
I know. I had an aunt who was mentally retarded. She had the learning capacity of about a five year old. She died in 1994 at the age of 61, which was before retarded was replaced with mentally challenged or developmentally disabled or whatever this year's terminology is. It would be weird now to go back and re-label someone I knew all of my life just because someone no longer likes the words that used to describe her.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:03 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Those idiots will you hopping from one PC phrase to another as they decide what words can be used.
Hey...an idiot is a person with an IQ below 30, so you can't use that word.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:07 PM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Exactly. Calling someone retarded is no different than calling them a moron or an idiot. Most people would agree that those are offensive works, but they were commonly used at one time. Retarded is no different.

I still have teens at home, and I haven't heard any of their friends use "gay" that way for years (my kids know better). I think it helps that most kids have openly gay high school classmates now-- often kids that they grew up with and were friends with from a young age. Knowing and liking people as individuals vs. just throwing them in a negative category goes a long way toward building tolerance.
That is true. The paper that John Langdon Down wrote to describe the syndrome of a certain type of mental retardation wherein all the patients had similar characteristics was entitled "Observations on an ethnic classification of idiots". If you called a person with Down's Syndrome an "idiot" now, there would be a heck of an outcry.

Language changes, not always prettily, but "retarded" as used when not directed at genuinely mentally retarded persons now has taken on the meaning of "willfully stupid or obnoxious".

Old 07-27-2013, 09:33 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Now just hold on a second there. Obama can do as he pleases. No southpaw will ever chastise the great ONE or be offended by his actions. He is above all reproach.
Kind of funny when they find their own side uses the word......it becomes "crickets"

Old 07-27-2013, 09:50 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanman91 View Post
Sometimes people use words they shouldn’t use when theirtrying to be funny. Some use “***”, and others use the “N” word. I hate themboth and think both of them shouldn’t be used in those ways. But another word Ireally hate is the word “Retard”. People seem to use this word all the time.Some people say it when they’re mad, they will say something like “This is soretarded!” Others will say it to be funny or as an insult like “Don’t be aretard.” Or “You’re retarded.” This is really disrespectful and rude. There arepeople who have mental problems and can’t control it, so they have no defense againstit. Others who have mental issues may understand it and may be insulted, butthe person who said it thinks the person will be too stupid to understand. Iwas in special ed classes and do hate it when people use this word. I knew somesmart people in those classes, possibly smarter than people in “normal classes”,just maybe a bit slower. People who use it in mean ways should feel ashamed formaking fun of a disability problem, even if they aren’t completely aware of it.Just like *** and the n word, it may insult the person. They aren’t being funnyor cool, they’re just being jerks.
Now that's just retarded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies