Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 12:47 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
would that reduction in the need to use force also include not shooting people in your yard who pose no immediate threat to you ornyour family?
What makes this case so interesting is the fact that the only way for someone to be in his yard is to scale a fence or physically cut thru it.

The homeowner did a fantastic job in lowering the chances of someone simply stumbling into his yard (a drunk, a lost soul).

He effectively said to himself and punks: if you find yourself in my yard you had intent on being there.

Someone willing to do what this punk did is an indication of danger...fire away!

Old 07-28-2013, 01:02 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightleopard654 View Post
I don't know that this is as similar to the Trayvon Martin case as we think. I mean, whether Louisiana has a Stand-Your-Ground law or not, it doesn't apply to the situation.
I'm on the kid's side here. Here's why:
Okay, so you're in your living room and your dog starts barking. You go to the window and there's a kid in your yard, and you assume he's attempting to break in. So, to avoid being robbed you:
A) Freak out and shoot him in the cold blood
B) Tell him to beat it or you'll call the cops
C) Threaten so use force if he doesn't leave your property.
The murderer chose A. The right choice would be B or C, but let's start with B. You threaten to call the cops, and he still doesn't leave. You COULD call the police, but a lot could happen before they arrive, and you want this kid to beat it ASAP. So that's no good.
Let's try C. You get your gun, show it to the kid, and tell him "If you don't leave my property, I will use this gun to make you leave". Now, we know for a fact that the kid was unarmed, so if he even POSSESED a brain of any sort, he would have had the sense to leave immediately. The problem would have been solved just like that. But, no, the shooter chose A, and now the kid is near death in a hospital, only capable of moving one side of his body, potentially facing permanent brain damage IF he survives. It's sad, and yet it's infuriating because it could have easily been avoided.
Actually, it's not enough to make a would-be burglar and his friend to leave. At least not for me, and here's why...

1. I don't know their real identity. And what if they leave and go rob some house in my neighborhood or city where the people aren't home to stop them? Yes, I may have prevented a crime to ME, but they are eventually going to commit a crime to someone else and I could have stopped this train wreck from happening.

2. And I don't know if sometime down the line, those two punks decide to revisit my house one night to see if I am not home. And they end up stealing from me, just later on down the line. Again, just scaring them off does NOT break the cycle of stealing.

3. And what if somehow I could stop them from stealing from me and to have them arrested? Well in this case, they were two teenage losers. The worst they get is juvenile court and while they do their community service, they learn how to be better criminals. And the reason I think this way is that Coulter's family was aware of his prior burglary arrests and they did nothing at all constructive about turning this kid's evil ways around. And neither did his church pastor. So prayers to their god were useless also.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:08 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,947,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Actually, it's not enough to make a would-be burglar and his friend to leave. At least not for me, and here's why...

1. I don't know their real identity. And what if they leave and go rob some house in my neighborhood or city where the people aren't home to stop them? Yes, I may have prevented a crime to ME, but they are eventually going to commit a crime to someone else and I could have stopped this train wreck from happening.

2. And I don't know if sometime down the line, those two punks decide to revisit my house one night to see if I am not home. And they end up stealing from me, just later on down the line. Again, just scaring them off does NOT break the cycle of stealing.

3. And what if somehow I could stop them from stealing from me and to have them arrested? Well in this case, they were two teenage losers. The worst they get is juvenile court and while they do their community service, they learn how to be better criminals. And the reason I think this way is that Coulter's family was aware of his prior burglary arrests and they did nothing at all constructive about turning this kid's evil ways around. And neither did his church pastor. So prayers to their god were useless also.
Your logic and reasoning IS the reason there are people, right now sitting in jail cell, awaiting trail to resume tomorrow. They believed as you do...but did not know the actual laws for their jurisdictions.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:25 PM

690 posts, read 964,623 times
Quote:

what if what if what if
what if you werent thinking like a paranoid psycho...

Old 07-28-2013, 01:33 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

The only reason you would is if you were a violent thug, you had something to hide, you were up to no good, you were on drugs, or you were looking for someone to beat up. Otherwise, you would walk home and go into your house, not double back to confront that person.
Didn't dad ever teach you, if you think someone is following you you NEVER go directly home?

You guys just want to defend the wanna be in his murder of Martin, sure he MAY have been up to no good but it wasn't Zimmerman's place to stop him, he had already called the police and they were on their way.

Why don't you guys say "hey Zimmerman should have stayed in his car" ?

Having drugs in your system doesn't mean you are "on drugs" OR out of control, keep that in mind if you are stopped for a DUI.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:33 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
This was yet another example of BAD parenting, just like with the Martins. Act like a punk or be a thief, then those bad life choices will eventually catch up to you. And maybe the punishment for burglary, should be the loss of a hand. And also for a teen with repeat burglary arrests.

I work with a black kid who is also going to school as a criminal justice major. He goes to church every Sunday and attends choir practice every other Wednesday. You'd think that he was a good kid, however he lies to management all of the time and avoids his work duties every chance he gets like it's a skill to be proud of. He has no work ethic whatsoever. And I question his christian values. I really hate working with him. Anyway, I think that his parents s*ck at being parents.
Well, then he should definitely be shot.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:39 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Your logic and reasoning IS the reason there are people, right now sitting in jail cell, awaiting trail to resume tomorrow. They believed as you do...but did not know the actual laws for their jurisdictions.
Maybe they thought they had the same castle doctrine law as in Texas?

Anyway, my point is that I feel that my possessions are worth killing a thief over. And as far as I am concerned, criminal teens and adults have lives that are worth zero to me. Respect is earned, not an automatic given with me. And the settlement money that the HOA paid out to Trayvon's parents is way more than Trayvon's life was worth and also more than he would have ever earned in his lifetime, let alone used to take care of his parents.

Thieves only try to rob people or businesses that they think are vulnerable and weak enough to be able to rob from. If those kids had known that the homeowner was awake and with a gun (and a dog), they would have picked another house to steal from. As thieves, they didn't do their "homework" ahead of time. So Darwin took care of one of them. So maybe the answer is to have more homeowners be armed (and with a dog for sounding the alarm). Btw at my home, we have dogs and... the house is armed.

2,801 posts, read 2,310,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, then he should definitely be shot.
For walking home from the store in a neighborhood some wanna be doesn't think he should be in, being a GUEST of a resident is irrelevant.

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"What about 12, 10 and 8- year-old? What are 14, 12, 10 and 8 year old's doing in someone else's LOCKED property at 2 AM in the morning?
Quote:
"What about 12, 10 and 8- year-old?" It is nice to be a Monday morning quarterback. The property owner did NOT know if the kid was armed or not.

"It is better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6".
Quote:
"He had a history of "stealing things". Appently he never learned his lesson NOT to steal.
So . . . what are you saying here? You find it wise to shoot an 8, 10, or 12 year olds?

Teach them a lesson not to steal by killing them?

I'm thinkin this homeowner is going to learn his own lesson. What a dumb fool. That's the problem, dumb fools can't think of any other way to deal with a situation than shootin off their gun. AND, they are most likely paranoid fools to boot.

Put them in jail and throw away the key when they kill someone that they shouldn't have killed.

Sweet weeping Jesus.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:46 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Mean while black on black shooting in Cleveland and Chicago make no news worthy story. Nor did the little West kid getting shot in the face by 2 black punks in his STROLLER, when his mom resisted getting robbed.

This BS of white on black is getting boring.
This child
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies