Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Not that this necessarily pplies to you, but your average middle manager/supervisor is neither doing anything difficult, complicated, significant, unusual or skilled. I often challenge folks to explain to me the "skills" involved in many management positions in our corporate landscape and I usually get nothing worth mentioning in response.
You can hand a shovel to two different people of equal physical stature using equal physical exertion and get two different levels of productivity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,824,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Have you worked a minimum wage job?
Who hasn't?

Old 07-29-2013, 09:16 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Who hasn't?
Right, and it probably wasn't a walk in the park, was it?

All I know is as I've climbed the career ladder, the jobs have gotten progressively easier. The higher up you go the more you have people under you doing a lot of the grunt work.

Who is working harder? The guy stocking shelves at Walmart, or the guy at Walmart's corporate office editing spreadsheets of sales?

Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingatU View Post
You are kidding I assume..... the hardest job I ever had was back when I was 20 as a short order cook..... non stop, lots of stamina, remembering many things yelled to me to make, dealing with whiny customers..... for min wage

The higher paying jobs generally are nice and easy and basically rewards for going to college...

You sound like a right winger who was left his daddy's business and now think that YOU accomplished something
What a whiner! I bused tables at Bonanza and cleaned the kitchen and grill every day. Walk in the park. Next job, not so much, but it was better pay, I roughnecked on a drilling rig in South Texas. Oil Field trash and proud of it. Worked my way up through every position on the rig. Then I became a mud-logger (look it up, Einstein), then a company-man figuring out where the oil was and telling the drilling company where to spot their rig to drill. I could, with a word, shut down that rig and all three tour crews. With a lot of responsibility comes better pay. Not what you expected is it. Laughing at you. hehehe

Last edited by PanTerra; 07-29-2013 at 09:50 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 09:25 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
If it wasn't a walk in the park it would pay more than minimum wage.
Quote:
I don't agree at all. The worst jobs are low-paying jobs. The higher up the ladder you go, the better the jobs get.
Min wage jobs suck, but the tasks are extremely easy to perform. If all someone wants to do is work in fast food they should quit school at 13 and learn how to say "do you want fries with that?" Most other jobs do require skills beyond sweeping and making food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
A demonstrably false assertion. Good lord, it's almost scary that a grown man actually believes this kind of claptrap. You actually believe that pay is tied to the amount of intelligence a position requires? You serious, Clark?
In addition to supply and demand pay IS tied to intelligence as well as performance. A lot of lawyers don't make very much, but the vast majority of financial engineers are making well over 6 figures. Truckers can make decent money and the CDL license isn't terribly difficult to get, but you have to be able to drive safely and get the goods delivered on time.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Right, and it probably wasn't a walk in the park, was it?

All I know is as I've climbed the career ladder, the jobs have gotten progressively easier. The higher up you go the more you have people under you doing a lot of the grunt work.

Who is working harder? The guy stocking shelves at Walmart, or the guy at Walmart's corporate office editing spreadsheets of sales?
Indeed it was. See the post above for what wasn't a walk in the park, but that was not for minimum wage. I had some buddies that got paid about $1000 a day working in Kuwait putting out those oilfield fires - Snubbers. Not minimum wage, and definitely not a walk in the park.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:26 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
America's hourly wage battle heats up - Fortune Management

Thousands of minimum wage workers have been striking or planning on doing so because they demand higher wages than the current federal minimum wage of $7.25 (Some states slightly higher) in year of 2013.

Any company that pays less than $9 an hour for any type of job should be embarrassed (although paying $15 an hour for fast food cashier is also too much). Also I'm not saying that minimum wage should be considered a job that could support a family, but common let's not be selfish. All big companies and even most small ones' could for sure give slightly higher wages. Even if prices will be a dollar or two higher for items, it's not a big deal for most middle and higher class people.

Costco is the only retail company that pays its worker good wages, and offers great benefits including paid day off on major holidays while still selling low pricing products. This company has been mentioned everywhere including by President Obama recently. They also have great business hours closing earlier than other retail places = more family time and higher quality of life. GOD BLESS COSTCO!
A persons wages should be commensurate with the job they do.

Nine or ten bucks an hour to push a broom or mop a floor?

That's ludicrous....

Old 07-29-2013, 09:27 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I bused tables at Bonanza and cleaned the kitchen and grill every day.

My first job was as a bus boy when I was 16, that lasted an entire month... Most enlightening job experience I ever had.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:28 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Min wage jobs suck, but the tasks are extremely easy to perform. If all someone wants to do is work in fast food they should quit school at 13 and learn how to say "do you want fries with that?" Most other jobs do require skills beyond sweeping and making food.

In addition to supply and demand pay IS tied to intelligence as well as performance. A lot of lawyers don't make very much, but the vast majority of financial engineers are making well over 6 figures. Truckers can make decent money and the CDL license isn't terribly difficult to get, but you have to be able to drive safely and get the goods delivered on time.
There's a difference between a task being easy to perform, and how hard a job is. Doing the same easy thing over and over all day long on your feet in a fast-paced customer-service job is hard exhausting work.

Cleaning is low-paid, but it is not easy work. Try cleaning your own house at a fast pace and thoroughly for 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Working the grill at a fast-food place may not be highly skilled but it requires speed and accuracy and there is no room for error.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
A persons wages should be commensurate with the job they do.

Nine or ten bucks an hour to push a broom or mop a floor?

That's ludicrous....
And this is why corporate America wants visa workers.
Our workers want the money to come to them rather than they chase the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies