Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 10:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Most of the people on Medicaid are senior citizens who already spent a lifetime working. Calling them moochers is particularly insulting. Maybe in Conservative HappyTexanLand grandma works until she dies.
I didnt say anyone was a moocher.

All I'm doing is dealing with the numbers.
I don't care who gets medicaid..young, old or otherwise. The program is still a means tested program.

I say medicaid is a means tested program and you come back with "people on medicaid are seniors".
That's how you debate ?

I haven't even given an opinion on ending any programs or even cutting programs.
I'm just pointing out that means tested welfare spending has topped $1 trillion and is growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 10:19 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
Quote:
Most of the people on Medicaid are disabled or senior citizens who already spent a lifetime working. Calling them moochers is particularly insulting. Maybe in Conservative HappyTexanLand grandma works until she dies.
Medicare isn't going broke because senior citizens who paid into it their whole working career are using their benefits. So try again.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:20 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Take that food out of their mouths the lousy parasites.
They are their parents' responsibility. Go after them.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Medicaid isn't going broke because senior citizens who paid into it their whole working career are using their benefits. So try again.
You are confusing medicare with medicaid.

Medicare is the one people pay into.
Medicaid is the "free" one for poor people.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it is not. By what logic do you pretend that anyone in the U.S. does not benefit from national defense spending the same as anyone else? And I've already explained that all but the low-income LOSE money on Social Security. Medicare? That was enacted as a federal INSURANCE program to which premiums are paid with no caps all throughout one's earning years AND the premium payments continue once one is retired.

The math doesn't lie, MTAtech. Eventually, you're going to have to face reality. It is inevitable.
It was indeed misleading. Your graph (below) is trying to report that we spend most of the federal money on those bottom 20%.

It's not true. All social safety net programs combined are 12% of the budget.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:24 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,634 times
They can work or let 'em starve. Not a single dime should be STOLEN via government from one person in order to give to another. This is THEFT. Charity is something one chooses to give to those (individuals of entities) they themselves deem worthy.

For all you die hard welfare supporters... tell me something... when was the last time you shelled out $100.00 of your own money, used your gas & vehicle and your labor to buy some food for someone whose family was going hungry? How about $200.00... $500.00... $1,000.00?

For all you die hard welfare supporters... tell me something... when was the last time you picked up, much less drove a desperate person who was trying to get from point A to point B in order to get a job? Did you take them 10 minutes out of your way? Did you take them 30 minutes out of your way? Did you take them 2-1/2 hours out of your way?

For all you die hard government programs can fix all supporters... tell me something... when was the last time you stopped on the side of the road to offer roadside assistance? Maybe helped someone change a flat, maybe bought them some gas (yes with your OWN money), maybe even bought them a second hand tire & had it mounted on the rim for them because they were broke?

There are far too many of you who demand others step up, via the government to alleviate YOUR OWN personal responsibilities to society, demanding that SOMEONE do something as long as you're not really bothered by the effort, in order to assist another. There are far too many that demand something be done, while they themselves have never and will never do anything to help another. There are too many who demand a government program to help the elderly who may not be able to mow their own yard or shovel their snow, yet they themselves would NEVER so much as cross a street to assist one of those elderly people in their own neighborhood.

You have no right whatsoever to demand that others provide what you yourself are unwilling to do by your own self, with your own resources.

But then again... that's just my opinion.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:24 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Like I said to the OP, who conveniently decided to disappear, if you believe being poor is such a pleasurable experience, why don't you just....become poor? You make it sound so grand, why not live it yourself?
Really? That's your argument?

Old 07-30-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
It was indeed misleading. Your graph (below) is trying to report that we spend most of the federal money on those bottom 20%.

It's not true. All social safety net programs combined are 12% of the budget.
And that's why Sessions report created such angst..it's a lot more than 12% of the budget.
It's bigger than either SS spending, medicare spending or defense spending now.

Sessions asked the CRS to add up every means tested program.
The debate is now not on that figure but what the term "welfare" really means now so they can exclude programs and reduce that figure.
Pure total deflection rather than admit the truth that poverty programs are growing near 20% per year with no end in sight.

You got one guy arguing that "welfare" only means TANF and SNAP.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:26 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
What I was referring to by policies discourage work and parenting is this
The bottom line IS as you've stated:
Quote:
policies in the U.S. discourage working
There's a PLETHORA of data that proves exactly such.

The policies in the U.S. that discourage working, across ALL income levels, need to be fixed. NO MORE penalizing those who work harder/smarter and therefore earn more. That DISINCENTIVIZES productivity and progress, which is why our country is plunging head first into a rapidly accelerating downward spiral.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
When people post that infamous pie chart detailing how "social programs are only 12 percent of the budget," I just groan inwardly (and sometimes outwardly).

What the chart doesn't show is that BURIED INSIDE nearly every budget listed, including DoD and Agriculture, are social programs which aren't identified as such, and are not included in the 12 percent figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies