Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 07:45 AM

23,563 posts, read 17,237,701 times

Advertisements

Ah, key words..."I thought Obama said......"

These words are what most people utter after listening to an Obama speech.

Obama intentioanlly misleads his audience to allow him wiggle room when pressed for why he did the opposite of what he said.

This master of the language who measures his sentences and calculates the meaning of words does so to befuddle and confuse and never be held accountable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 07:56 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
We don't disagree on the fact that Bush's priorities were in the wrong place, you know. Actually, we're probably closer to agreement on that fact than you realize. My only point is that I'm tired of people using the actions of Bush to excuse Obama's ineptness. I don't care if you're conservative, liberal, or moderate, but when you can't honestly discuss Obama's short-comings without a "Bush did this, though" comment you are displaying a gross lack of objectivity and honesty.
Agreed. Bush is history. Obama has won the election twice, now. His ardent supporters have acclaimed this to be the best thing that ever happened here. Still...."as we sink deeper.."if it wasn't for BUSH" . UMMM...ok. Obama is gonna "clean up the mess". "It takes time to clean up the mess". Well, since we are talking about terrorism, lets look at how well "cleaning up the mess" is going.

We are pretty much out of Iraq, operationally, anyway, and predictably, it's in beading right back toward imploding. Afghanistan, will be much worse of a debacle than Iraq. The Taliban has really lost nothing there. Our guys have been kicking their ass, and coming home in bags and in wheelchairs,....for what? Have Democrat, and specifically Obamas, strategies accomplished anything? Other than unilateral de escalation. That sound familiar to anyone? Syria is falling into extemist Muslim anarchy, and the Obama administration is arming the Muslim extremists. Interesting strategy there. Egypt, whom Obama made a gift of some serious military hardware to, is heading toward the loving embrace of the radical Imams. Good job!

Yet, despite all this and so much more, that has propped up AlQuedas agenda, "its Bushs' doing " midway into Obamas second term. I wonder, az sick as folks are now of Dem polocy and Obamas "leadership" and the way this "war on terror" is going, if we are not seeing history repaeat itself. DC NEVER learns anything from history. They STILL keep fighting ideas, as if they have tangible fronts and a visible enemy.

Obama supporters sing his praises, the guy was awarded the Nobel, for pitys sake! The middle east burns, Islamic radicalism prospers, and Obama gives them weapons and money, as he claims we are rolling the terrorists back?!

Please tell me how the current "mess" has ANYTHING to do with Bush. Obama and the Dems own it now.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:00 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Please tell me how the current "mess" has ANYTHING to do with Bush. Obama and the Dems own it now.
By that logic, if you inherit a car with body damage from someone, do you mystically become the one who caused that damage or do you just become the one attempting to fix it?

Old 08-01-2013, 08:02 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
When did Obama say al Qaeda was defeated? I can't find a quote.

But I can find a quote of Karzai saying the group is 'Defeated' (2007).

In September 2004, Bush said: “And as a result of the United States military, Taliban no longer is in existence. And the people of Afghanistan are now free.”

Obama did say, Al Qaeda is on ‘a path to defeat’ that's not the same as saying it IS defeated.

Quote:
I thought Obama said AQ was defeated and decimated?
You thought wrong.

Last edited by MTAtech; 08-01-2013 at 08:11 AM..

Old 08-01-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
By that logic, if you inherit a car with body damage from someone, do you mystically become the one who caused that damage or do you just become the one attempting to fix it?
Which was commented on in my post. Using this analogy, that same car was taken, and put in the demo derby, not the body shop.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:18 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Which was commented on in my post. Using this analogy, that same car was taken, and put in the demo derby, not the body shop.
I was responding to : "Please tell me how the current "mess" has ANYTHING to do with Bush"

But I agree, both parties are guilty of massive screw-ups in foreign policy and have been for decades. I truly believe our downward spiral began when we ignored Eisenhower's brilliant warning about the undue influence of the MIC. The big question is if it's too late to act on that warning now?

Old 08-01-2013, 08:26 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
Obama is gonna "clean up the mess".
Cleaning up the mess doesn't mean kicking it and spreading it around until you have a small clean spot that "looks" clean.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Cleaning up the mess doesn't mean kicking it and spreading it around until you have a small clean spot that "looks" clean.
Haha. Indeed! And then depositing a steaming pile on that clean spot. Makes sense.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I was responding to : "Please tell me how the current "mess" has ANYTHING to do with Bush"

But I agree, both parties are guilty of massive screw-ups in foreign policy and have been for decades. I truly believe our downward spiral began when we ignored Eisenhower's brilliant warning about the undue influence of the MIC. The big question is if it's too late to act on that warning now?
Our government has never heeded or acted upon anything learned from history. Ike? Lol, I wouldn't expect any actions on his advice. Lessons and warningsfrom the past, no matter how profound, fall on deaf ears in DC.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:08 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Al Qaeda was decimated for a fraction of a second when OBL was killed - which was more about shock. Killing OBL and the other heads of Al Qaeda is the same as killing a general and high ranking officers in the army. There are always those who will take their place. Retaliation escalates and there is the call for more troops. The target area is widened. Killing one man did not cripple an army or force withdrawal. Did we stop Al Qaeda? Did we stop the creation of other terrorist groups? Did we stop more people from becoming terrorists? Quite the contrary.

What exactly has America achieved on this War on Terror in the ME that has cost trillions of dollars? How have other countries benefited from our "presence? What exactly has America achieved at the cost of American lives taken or maimed? How many lives of innocent civilians that we killed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies