Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 03:27 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
If Zimmerman had assaulted a police officer, he would have been charged with assault and battery, which is a Felony. He has no felonies on his record. The incident wasn't a Felony charge because the Officer overreacted to a minor incident.

Also, DV is a person's word against another. Both filed against each other, so it's just what it is - typical DV case.
He was charged with assault and battery.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:27 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,117,283 times
Quote:
You are surmising what you "think" that Trayvon acted like in that situation. We KNOW how Emmett responded.

The larger point is that Trayvon had FOUR - count them - minutes to get home and decided to assault a person, which is against the law. On that account, I can see that Zimmerman was probably spot on with his criminal profiling.

Emmett assaulted no one. The comparison is nowhere the same, unless you are purposely being a race baiter.
Hanging on to the argument that TM should have run home is exactly my point. In a state where you're expressly given permission to STAND YOUR GROUND if you're where you're supposed to be legally, it's telling that you expect TM to run away.

Is that your position when someone White doesn't run away from a situation? Or do you reserve that gem for Black teens?

Old 08-07-2013, 03:30 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Zimmerman didn't have several people jump and beat the tar out of TM. And Zimmerman never bragged about the incident. It is "offensive" and race hustling. Especially when Oprah knows her "base" audience is black. She is speaking to them and stoking the fire.
Actually, I think Oprah's base audience is women. And she's speaking out on something that touches her personally, which is the basis of Oprah's appeal. Probably much of Oprah's audience isn't even familiar with the Till story, and those that are familiar with it can understand the comparison.

Beck knows who is base audience is as well. And he's speaking to them, and stoking a fire as well.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:40 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,846,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
He was charged with assault and battery.
Assault and battery warrants a Felony. He has NO felonies on his record.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Actually, I think Oprah's base audience is women. And she's speaking out on something that touches her personally, which is the basis of Oprah's appeal. Probably much of Oprah's audience isn't even familiar with the Till story, and those that are familiar with it can understand the comparison.

Beck knows who is base audience is as well. And he's speaking to them, and stoking a fire as well.
She wasn't familiar with it either, apparently, to bring it up in an emotional appeal with distorted history to her base audience - bad form.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:42 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,901 times
Quote:
Assault and battery warrants a Felony. He has NO felonies on his record.
He was charged with assault and battery, he struck a deal with the prosecutor and plead guilty to a lesser charge, but make no mistake, he was charged with a felony.

There is also another police record of battery.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Hanging on to the argument that TM should have run home is exactly my point. In a state where you're expressly given permission to STAND YOUR GROUND if you're where you're supposed to be legally, it's telling that you expect TM to run away.

Is that your position when someone White doesn't run away from a situation? Or do you reserve that gem for Black teens?
Look, the whole story is that we have black youth breaking and entering, and a black youth out in the rain with a Hoodie, reaching inside his waistband as though pretending he had a gun. A perceived threat to the community neighborhood watch. He was already trying to act tough, and everyone is blaming GZ for trying to act tough or vigilante. Perfect word, BTW, for the media to incite emotional anger.

Shame on his parents AND Sharpton for talking about TM's "legacy". Going by his FB and cell phone texts, I'd be embarrassed to pretend he was a roll model for anyone, but a thug wanna be. BUT, the media won't get into that information. They'll put his hoodie in a museum, as though he was a hero. Society is nuts.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:49 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,624,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I haven't heard conservatives say that they think Martin deserved to be killed by Zimmerman. I think the vast majority of people, conservative and liberal, think it's a tragedy that Martin was killed. The issue in the case was the role racism played in the shooting. While I think race was an issue, because Zimmerman was suspicious of Martin because he was black, I don't know if Zimmerman is truly racist. The fact was that there were burglaries in the area, one of the characteristics of the suspected burglars was that they were black, and Martin shared that characteristic, and was unknown to Zimmerman who lived in the neighborhood. His suspicion, added to his poor judgment, resulted in an innocent, unarmed kid dying.

I think many people, conservative and liberal, grieved for Martin, and grieve for Zimmerman as well. Whatever his ambitions were, to be a hero that caught a bad guy, to protect his neighborhood, whatever they were, he will always be someone whose choices resulted in a young man's death. His choices may or may not have risen to the level of criminality. The jury concluded that he wasn't a criminal. And from what we've heard from the jury, they didn't arrive at their conclusion because of racism. The instructions on the rule of law that they received from the judge persuaded them that Zimmerman didn't act criminally. They debated it, and that's what they decided the law said.

I can understand comparing Till and Martin. It's not an invalid comparison. Comparisons are of things that are alike in some ways and unalike in others. Till and Martin are alike in some ways, and unalike in others. Oprah has focused on the ways they are alike. Beck has focused on the ways they are unalike.

Agreed!

I seriously do not believe anyone (well 99% of the population) deserves to be killed...

With that being said, I do not agree with the bolded part...I have lost all respect for Oprah-she makes millions and she doesn't do sh** to help African Americans in this country...
Till and Martin have nothing in common but the color of their skin-

Old 08-07-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
He was charged with assault and battery, he struck a deal with the prosecutor and plead guilty to a lesser charge, but make no mistake, he was charged with a felony.

There is also another police record of battery.
He was arrested in July of 2005 for assault on a law enforcement officer and for resiting arrest with violence. Both charges were immediately dropped to resisting without violence. They were than dropped all together.

In September of 2005, the same unit was conducting another sting, the officer didn't identify himself and was killed by an OPD officer because he discharged his weapon and didn't identify himself.

This law enforcement unit looks like it needed to get it's act together.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:03 PM

A whole lot could have been solved (as far as TM's character and thinking goes) if the court had not erred on allowing TM's text messages. There is case law that proves that Nelson should have allowed it in evidence.

Quote:
State v. Lumarque, 44 So.3d 171, Fla.App. 3 Dist.,2010, a Florida appeals court reversed a trial court’s decision to exclude text messages on authentication grounds.

The court erred. The images and text messages were found on the defendant’s cellular telephone, seized pursuant to a search of the defendant’s home through a warrant shortly after the alleged incident. This fact, testified by the State’s forensics expert, is sufficient to authenticate these exhibits.

http://www.3dca.flcourts.org/opinions/3D09-2781.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies