Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is a better place to live?
Europe 61 37.20%
America 103 62.80%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 01:29 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
That says a lot about how brainwashed you have become that you trust a nation that puts it's citizens in jail for 20 years for speaking out against their government. You trust a country who doesn't provide human rights more than a country that established the basis of modern day human rights? The European education system sounds worse than the US education system and I didn't think that was possible

So, Manning was sentenced to 90 years if I am not mistaken Snowden would also spend the rest of his life in jail if Russia had not saved him.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:32 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Was America's vision of the future shackling African-Americans and forcing them to work in cotton fields?
Dude, the first slaves brought to the United States were on a DUTCH ship while the colonies were under BRITISH control. And let's not forget what the Iberians did in South America, since just 5% of African slaves taken went to North America, and were instead sent to Latin America.

Slavery was an INHERITED problem.

And honestly, the Arabs and Africans had been slaving even long before the Europeans got involved in the game. The Europeans, of course, were just better at it.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:33 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I love how people who don't live here are just so confused about what it's actually like to live in the United States of America....
Don't let Chielgirl fool you R2M, she lives in an 800 sq ft apartment in Wichita.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:33 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
So, Manning was sentenced to 90 years if I am not mistaken Snowden would also spend the rest of his life in jail if Russia had not saved him.
You find moral equivalency between those situations and what happens to people in China?

Really?

Old 08-12-2013, 01:34 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That is nonsense. China's and Japan's problem is mainly because of some islands which they both claim are theirs. Japan has nothing China could want, and vice versa. And let's not forget that Japan did horrible things during WWII in China, the Chinese have not forgotten.

China is much more rational than you seem to think, and it is closely intertwined with Japan economically, with lots of Japanese companies manufacturing in China. And the Chinese appreciate that.
You really think China and Japan's problems are only a couple of islands.There is a deep fear in both these countries that the other will try to take power in Asia.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:36 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
You think Europe didn't have African slaves?
Belgium used to cut hands off in the Congo.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Has South Korea expressed an issue with the presence of Americans? Do they want Americans to leave? That's their call, isn't it? Not yours.

Japan, Germany.... any signals from the government that they want us to leave, but that America is saying, "nope, we are going to stay no matter what?"

You make excuses for Europe's persistent colonial connections and say that those colonies can "cut ties whenever they want," but do you see an instance of America INSISTING on staying somewhere it's not wanted or invited? Do you recall it was Saudi Arabia, for example, who sought the Americans to help when Iraq invaded in the 1990s? Do you recall that one of Bin Laden's big gripes was that America was "in the holy land?" Yet we were there by INVITE of the same King that made Bin Laden's family rich!?

Face it: You just cannot seem to accept that Europe and the Anglosphere (including the United States) run the world together, bully the world with America at the front of the pack, and will continue to do so in the near future, no matter what nonsense we hear about the rise of the BRICs. You don't get a pass because you've personally retreated into a garage apartment to live out your days simply. You can HAVE that lifestyle BECAUSE others out there are being productive and paying the bills to keep life simple and safe.

Living in a country of 10 million you are still not divorced from the other 400 million that represent your continent. As a matter of fact, a little more emphasis on "work" and "getting ahead" might actually do Portugal some good, ya think? (last I was in Lisbon airport, I saw far more from Mozambique and Angola shopping at expensive stores and having ads targeted towards them than Portuguese). I do want to thank you - or rather, whoever is paying taxes - for taking care of my grandmother while she's in her retirement home in Torreira, however.

LOL, good luck with that. China gives zero f***s about anything ANYONE says. Half of the non-interventionalist hippy dippy worldview you subscribe to was INVENTED in America to begin with.

(Or so we are reminded when America is criticized for not getting involved in World Wars 1 or 2 "soon enough" for the opinion of Europeans).
There is a strong disconnect between governments in Europe and people. If you did a referendum today on whether or not the US is to leave Germany, most Germans would say yes. But their government does not listen to the people, just like in most countries these days. And remember when GI's raped Japanese girls years ago in Japan? A lot of Japanese also said the Americans should finally leave, people feel that way wherever they feel their countries are being occupied.

Saudi Arabia is a rogue state violating lots of human rights. If it weren't for oil, the West would boycott it just like Iran. I would not be so proud if I got asked for help by such a country...

People here work more than enough, we have had stupid and corrupt politicians, and the Euro gave us the rest. If it were for the work ethic of the Portuguese, we would rank among the best European countries.
It is natural to see Angolans shopping at the airport as those coming here are the elite of that country, benefiting from the oil boom. Many of them are spoiled brats just like many people in the Gulf states, rich without working much for it, the opposite of Portuguese life.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:43 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I could live and work in either place, and I choose to livein US
Why?

Old 08-12-2013, 01:43 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
You think Europe didn't have African slaves?
Well look what the wonderful European colonists did to Africa.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
You really think China and Japan's problems are only a couple of islands.There is a deep fear in both these countries that the other will try to take power in Asia.
Not on the part of China, Japan is much too small to be a threat to China, for China it is about those islands where they suspect lots of oil, which China needs desperately.

Japan has been in economic trouble for many years now, it is only a shadow of its former self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies