Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 06:21 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times

Advertisements

Witches
  • from the beginning of Christianity to 1484 probably more than several thousand.
  • in the era of witch hunting (1484-1750) according to modern scholars several hundred thousand (about 80% female) burned at the stake or hanged. [WV]
  • incomplete list of documented cases:
    The Burning of Witches - A Chronicle of the Burning Times

Old 08-20-2013, 06:22 PM

20th Century Church Atrocities
  • Catholic extermination camps
    Surpisingly few know that Nazi extermination camps in World War II were by no means the only ones in Europe at the time. In the years 1942-1943 also in Croatia existed numerous extermination camps, run by Catholic Ustasha under their dictator Ante Paveli, a practising Catholic and regular visitor to the then pope. There were even concentration camps exclusively for children!

In these camps - the most notorious was Jasenovac, headed by a Franciscan friar - orthodox-Christian serbians (and a substantial number of Jews) were murdered. Like the Nazis the Catholic Ustasha burned their victims in kilns, alive (the Nazis were decent enough to have their victims gassed first). But most of the victims were simply stabbed, slain or shot to death, the number of them being estimated between 300,000 and 600,000, in a rather tiny country. Many of the killers were Franciscan friars. The atrocities were appalling enough to induce bystanders of the Nazi "Sicherheitsdient der SS", watching, to complain about them to Hitler (who did not listen). The pope knew about these events and did nothing to prevent them. [MV]
  • Catholic terror in Vietnam
    In 1954 Vietnamese freedom fighters - the Viet Minh - had finally defeated the French colonial government in North Vietnam, which by then had been supported by U.S. funds amounting to more than $2 billion. Although the victorious assured religious freedom to all (most non-buddhist Vietnamese were Catholics), due to huge anticommunist propaganda campaigns many Catholics fled to the South. With the help of Catholic lobbies in Washington and Cardinal Spellman, the Vatican's spokesman in U.S. politics, who later on would call the U.S. forces in Vietnam "Soldiers of Christ", a scheme was concocted to prevent democratic elections which could have brought the communist Viet Minh to power in the South as well, and the fanatic Catholic Ngo Dinh Diem was made president of South Vietnam. [MW16ff]

Diem saw to it that U.S. aid, food, technical and general assistance was given to Catholics alone, Buddhist individuals and villages were ignored or had to pay for the food aids which were given to Catholics for free. The only religious denomination to be supported was Roman Catholicism.

The Vietnamese McCarthyism turned even more vicious than its American counterpart. By 1956 Diem promulgated a presidential order which read:
    • "Individuals considered dangerous to the national defense and common security may be confined by executive order, to a concentration camp."
Supposedly to fight communism, thousands of buddhist protesters and monks were imprisoned in "detention camps." Out of protest dozens of buddhist teachers - male and female - and monks poured gasoline over themselves and burned themselves. (Note that Buddhists burned themselves: in comparison Christians tend to burn others). Meanwhile some of the prison camps, which in the meantime were filled with Protestant and even Catholic protesters as well, had turned into no-nonsense death camps. It is estimated that during this period of terror (1955-1960) at least 24,000 were wounded - mostly in street riots - 80,000 people were executed, 275,000 had been detained or tortured, and about 500,000 were sent to concentration or detention camps. [MW76-89].

To support this kind of government in the next decade thousands of American GI's lost their life....

Old 08-20-2013, 06:24 PM

So....I'll see your Mao Tse Tung and raise you a long, long list of Christian atrocities. The rest of the list can be found here.

Christian Atrocities | Victims of Christianity | Catholic Church Inquisition | Crusades
Check and mate.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:34 PM

1,349 posts, read 664,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Amazing! 634 posts debating nonsense.
Right!

I suggest a thread that wonders how people who wear polyester go to hell.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:49 PM

1,349 posts, read 664,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
No they don't. That's about the only true thing I've read from you in this thread.

But I trust my experiences. And I almost always know what to expect from an atheist.

For example, if one is both atheist and feminist, I can reasonably expect them to reject the propositions in Sexual Selection as that scientific theory tied directly into evolutionary theory, contradicts their feminist ideologies of males being the great discriminators and females the passive victims that don't discriminate against any males. They will reject all evidence for their own personal opinion. Ad they will get very angry at the Sexual Selection being brought up.

I can reasonably know and expect that before ever posting to an atheist that is a feminist about Sexual Selection. It's not like I'll post it and then find out. I know what their response and reactive hate will be before ever posting it. Never have I been wrong about that. Never.

Just like I know an atheist will only ask for data when a proposition involving numbers goes against their personal belief. Never do they as for data when a proposition given is in support of their personal beliefs. Never.
You're in bad need of getting head, aren't you? I'm sorry, must be hard...

Old 08-20-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:

For example, if one is both atheist and feminist, I can reasonably expect
them to reject the propositions in Sexual Selection as that scientific theory
tied directly into evolutionary theory, contradicts their feminist ideologies of
males being the great discriminators and females the passive victims that don't
discriminate against any males. They will reject all evidence for their own
personal opinion.
Ad they will get very angry at the Sexual Selection being
brought up.
Kind of like you do, right? "99% of atheists are bad people". Pot meet kettle.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Just like I know an atheist will only ask for data when a proposition involving numbers goes against their personal belief. Never do they as for data when a proposition given is in support of their personal beliefs. Never.
Hilarious! Please tell me who does ask for data backup ("proof") for things they already agree with? If you already believe in something, you don't ask for proof. This behavior is, in no way, limited to one group of people. Everyone behaves this way. Please tell me the last time a religious person demanded the data proving the existence of god.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:32 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Atheists are like spoiled kids who hold their breath till they get their way. The are so stubborn you could put them in the middle of a forest and ask them where the trees are- and they would say there are no trees...There is no reasoning with them...and most of them chant the same rhetoric over and over again...and few have given anything any deep thought or consideration...They are mentally ill-----------They stand there and say I HAVE FINALLY FOUND THE ANSWER TO IT ALL - THERE IS NO GOD....They really do not know for sure but will stick to their belief no matter what- they crave security- There is no such thing as security when it comes to human existence.
This life is a single step of a long journey in our existence. I am firmly convinced of that. I think we have a list of lives to live and tasks to accomplish, a road map to the next level of understanding. Each and every one of us may be billions of years away from where God intended us to be and this may be one of the first steps.

Regardless, it was not meant for us to understand a fraction of what it all means at this point. To simply discount people's faith is insanity IMO. Look at the Universe, our galaxy, hell the Earth is a miracle. It's way beyond our understanding.

Humans have to quit with this tunnel vision of their little lives, getting more money, getting more stuff. All the while the clock is ticking and are we accomplishing in this lifetime what God meant for us?

We are all a part of something pretty spectacular and in the grand scheme, we may be the luckiest little bits of energy in all of creation, the chosen ones with souls. With a sense of right and wrong. Able to do selfless acts, willing to throw our own lives away to save the ones we love. The ability to love even.

What if the rest of the universe is dark and heartless?

SOMETHING happened to give us a divine spark, something completely different than every other animal on the planet.

If you don't believe in God, you have to believe in some spectacular event that happened to set humans apart from the rest of the animals.

Last edited by PullMyFinger; 08-20-2013 at 07:58 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 08:02 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
It's anecdotal. Just my personal experience--mainly from online encounters. Like I said, in face-to-face life in most social settings I've not met or seen/heard many people discussing religion or politics, regardless of their religious beliefs or lack of religious beliefs.

But I trust my personal experiences. I think online discussion boards work in some way to remove our metaphorical masks we often wear in face-to-face social settings. Consequently, the dark hearts of atheists gets exposed.

There are plenty of bad religious people. Maybe I'm bad? If I was part of the Mexican Mafia prison gang and I ran into Sicilian mobsters that murdered and extorted from people should I call them "good" just because I'm bad too? Just because I'm a Mexican Mafia member does that mean I can't call a spade a spade and acknowledge St. Bernedette was not only a better person than myself but a good and saintly woman even if she had some faults and sins?

And I never said 99% of atheists were evil. I said 99% of them are bad people, and that some of them are down right evil.

I know we live in a contemporary Western society that basically teaches us, "I am what I want to view myself as," as opposed to I am what I am.

All mankind is inclined to virtue due to being created by God and in the image of God. This is Catholic belief. And all mankind is inclined to sin due to the inheritance of original sin that makes us vulnerable to vice/sin. This is Catholic teaching.

In other words... atheists will be inclined to virtue due their humanity.

But that same humanity lends them vulnerable to sin. Such as the sin of pride. Atheism does not turn out saints. If Christianity and atheism were boxing gyms, Christianity would be the former Kronks Gym of Detroit turning out Champions (saints) ever so often, and atheism would be an unknown gym turning out losers and no champs.

Traditional Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism... were Vince Lombardis' and Vince ran a hard program. And we don't like hard programs. Pretty much.

So, I see the product atheism turns out. From the Soviet Union to the Western atheists posting on internet discussion boards with hearts that are dead. It's not a few but almost all of them.
Back peddling, hubris and baloney. Why did you even bother?

Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Actually my husband is catholic (yikers right).. When we were first started dating (17 years old) he was a say ur Hail Mary and cross urself before bed every night kinda guy. As we've gotten older hes stopped, opened his eyes and become what I call a "liberal catholic" the belief is there but nothing else with it. No more church, Hail Marys or crosses. He's not even sure if he believes the bible. In reality he's more agnostic than anything else but I like to harp in him a bit bout the Catholicism.. Keeps him on his toes after 14 years .. I was clear our daughter wouldn't be brainwashed in church or be baptized and he surprisingly agreed and was in board. I got lucky.

Btw good for u , being a single parent is hard! Harder as an atheist because we don't have that blind "god will make it alright" attitude. We live in reality and know sometimes crap just ain't okay and no ones gonna take care of it but us! Btw I just read a book called Raising Freethinkers A practical guide for Parenting Beyond Belief. I don't know how old ur baby is but worth a read!
It sounds like your influence is working on your husband. Keep it up.

I'm glad he agreed with you on the religion.

My son is not baptized. (I am, but it means nothing to me.) He is 30 and pretty much set in his ways.

Thanks for the compliment. I had my mom living with us until she died when he was 20, so I was not really a 'single' parent in the sense that I had to do it all myself. I would have if my life had gone that way, but my mom wanted to move in with us. She agreed to help watch over my son, but discipline and caring for him was my job. She did what she wanted. (I spoiled that women until the day she died.)
I even paid her to watch him if I wanted a night out.

However, I am going to check out this guide... because I can. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies