Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Why on earth would I appeal for forgiveness an imaginary being I don't believe in, in my final moments?
That makes no sense.
If you don't believe in consequences, then you are correct.
I do believe actions have consequences in the afterlife. I also believe thoughts have consequences.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:51 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Interesting spin, nice attempt. What's your purpose?
A purpose is attributed, who would attribute a purpose to human life? I guess we humans like the idea that we are special etc. But I'm afraid it is an illusion. At the end of the day, we only do what we do - albeit it at a sophisticated level - in order to survive as a species. That is the same urge we share with the most primitive animals... And some people who understand that have actually decided to rationally prevent nature from having its way, simply by not having kids.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
One of the reasons why the church got so rich and clergy visited the sick, was to have them sign their worldly goods over to the church.
It's always been a scam.
Most of our politicians are rich, does that mean gov't is a scam?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:55 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Liberals are very good at promoting a utopia, but not very good at foreseeing the consequences of their actions. That is what I'm trying to do. Have you envisioned your utopia without religion and how that will operate. We throw out everything that has to do with religion and insert gov't rule. I just want to know what that will look like. It's a good idea to think ahead, rather than have regrets after the fact.
Atheists rule now. What will you do different? How is your system going to be better?
What the heck are you talking about?
You might want to quit projecting your beliefs on others.
Seriously, lots of strawmen there.

Quote:
Most of our politicians are rich, does that mean gov't is a scam?
So sorry that you can't stick to a topic.
No response so deflect!

You're making it a science, oh, that's right, religious don't believe in science.
See how stupid that sounds, think about why.
Maybe you'll stop doing it.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Because we are innately honest and don't require belief in a mythical being or a book of rules to help us be good people.

Those who do require such aids, of course, are also the kind of people who can't even imagine what it's like to be a good person without those aids.

Like you, for instance, making the assumption that we can't be trusted simply because we don't need to be told by a minister or priest how to be nice.

So I ask you: Why should we trust Christians, who can't even be counted on to do the right thing unless they consult their book of rules or their pastor? Who are incapable of rational thought on their own, without the advice of a mythical being?
A true Christian believes they will be punished for their sins, they will have to answer for not following the word. An atheist has no such limitation. An atheist will do whatever they can get away with. An atheist may believe that lies today, are for the greater good tomorrow.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Ah, conflating religious with conservative and good; and atheist with liberal and evil.
This is too good to make up.
Keep them coming.
another dodge while ignoring the questions.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Interesting spin, nice attempt. What's your purpose?
to prepare for the next transition. We never die.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:03 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times
Quote:
Thank you for that reply. In essence you are saying the golden rule. You may need them to help you, so you should help them. Be kind, because that's how you want to be treated.
Does that apply to Christians as well?
What if their beliefs make them happy?
What if belief makes for a better society, a more civil compassionate one?
It does apply to Christians. Not only our behavior toward them, but their behavior toward us as well, which has often been horrific and brutal. If their beliefs make them happy and they refrain from harming or coercing others, so be it, but it seems many have extreme difficulty with this.

I will have to disagree with your claim about belief making a better and more compassionate society. Nothing I have ever seen in my life would even slightly incline me to believe so. If anything, many modern societies with [naturally occurring] low levels of religious adherence are more civil, safer, better adjusted and generally take better care of their citizens. In contrast many of the most barbaric and terrible places to live are places with the highest levels of fervent belief.

Quote:
What the heck are you talking about?
You might want to quit projecting your beliefs on others.
Seriously, lots of strawmen there.

So sorry that you can't stick to a topic.
No response so deflect!

You're making it a science, oh, that's right, religious don't believe in science.
See how stupid that sounds, think about why.
Maybe you'll stop doing it.
It was a simple question.
Atheists rule now. What will you do different? How is your system going to be better?

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
If you don't believe in consequences, then you are correct.
I do believe actions have consequences in the afterlife. I also believe thoughts have consequences.
Okaaayyy! Now I can be punished by a celestial deity for what I think.
In that case, EVERYONE is going to your fiery hell! I'm sure even Mother Theresa had an uncharitable thought now and then.
It's going to be very crowded there, and heaven will be empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies