Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 05:39 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't mind singing others holiday music.........but I want to hear mine too.
Its Christmas..........a time for joy and laughter, fun and festive, greetings to all.
Gosh, even the bus driver coming into the city had no CD's because now he has to be "so correct"
I really hope the local Mall has Christmas music, or I know of one that does.

Oh please.
They still play carols everywhere I go, ad naseum, I might add.
Play your carols at home if that's your desire. No one is stopping you. Get an MP3 player, take control of your own life.

Doesn't sound like you love the season, sounds like you want the Rockwell painting that never existed. Or to control the world around you.
You have the power to make your own holiday and reality, whatever that is. At the same time, others can be respected for their beliefs that may differ from yours.
I do have the Rockwell painting, and the spirit and happiness to make a holiday wonderful. I'm so glad you are hearing the music! Music is good for the heart.......even cranky ones.
I respect all religions. I have friends in most faiths.
Life is good, and Christmas shall always rein, in the hearts and souls of good people.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
When NY was mentioned, I almost spilled coffee all over my keyboard. NYC of all places! That is when I know the story was a fabrication.
Upps, to that.........My pictures of this years tree are on the Pa thread under Brazil comes to the Poconos.....I was there yesterday. Bryant Park, WTC, and back up to the tree.
Here I'll post a few for you..........

Old 11-26-2007, 05:49 PM

The Official New York City Tree.......November 25th, 2007( to be lit on Wednesday)

Old 11-26-2007, 05:54 PM

Default The Magic of Christmas

This is one of my favorite pictures. Greens that glimmer and sparkle, reminding me of Christmas past.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:33 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
With all of this nonsense going on, my question to Christians who are upset about Christmas being removed from greetings is this. Why is the word Christmas so important to defend?
I'd bet that many Christians would try to correct someone wishing them "Happy Winter Solstice". Yet, the catholic church created Christmas close to the solstice to reel in pagans (ditto about the tree). Santa Claus, ironically, is actually more Christian than the tree or the date, since Saint Nicholas was a real Catholic Saint.

I remember a Christmas book I had as a kid that talked about different Christmas traditions. It explained that lights came from the tradition of putting real candles on the tree, in Germany and Scandinavia. Obviously, that's a fire hazard, so when electricity was discovered, electric lights were born. However, putting the candles on the tree was described as a pagan tradition, to honor the Norse gods and the winter solstice.

People can give me whatever greeting they want. I recognize that they mean well, regardless of differences in religion, so I won't be offended.

I am, however offended by people who push Christmas as the only holiday.

And, I'm also offended by the constant blaring of Christmas music, just because it's so annoying to hear the same songs over and over and over and over...

But other than that, who cares?

PS: I agree that religious greetings or symbols should not be used in any location provided by taxpayers (schools, public buildings, etc), simply out of respect for those who do not celebrate Christmas.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Amen, and good post! FYI, my birthday is on October 20th - and no, I don't think it's appropriate to wish me a Merry Christmas on that day, or any other time before mid-December. Like I just posted, it seems very selfish to dominate an entire 2-3 months. Isn't December enough for them? For cryin' out loud, we've had Christmas decorations and commercials since my birthday... used to start after Thanksgiving, but seems to be getting earlier every year! Next year they'll start celebrating Christmas the day after Labor Day - LOL.
2 weeks before...a loooooong time ago. That's my biggest complaint about the Christmas season. I get tired of seeing all the tinsel, braving crowds everywhere (not just at stores), hearing the same songs I've heard for the last 30 years over and over 2 months before the event, etc...

It becomes tiring very quickly, and I have to put up with it for 2 months, and this happens to be my favorite time of the year for other reasons. Oh yeah, and my birthday is December 3, so I definitely understand what you mean. I really don't mind all the pomp and circumstance...in small doses. It's just so saturated that it's sickening.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Christmas is a Chistian holiday and this country was founded on Christianity and also religious freedom - hence, your right to believe differently.
I don't know about the founders being "Chistian", but most of them were not Christian either. They were Deists. Big difference.

Furthermore, I gather than if people weren't forced to take Christmas off, they'd be given a paid day off at another time, as is sometimes the case when people complain because they don't celebrate Christmas.

I don't understand this "all or nothing" attitude that many Christians seem to have toward their neighbors. Definitely not Christ-like.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:21 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Life is good, and Christmas shall always rein, in the hearts and souls of good people.

So, anyone who is not xian is a bad person? Who would Jesus say was a "bad" person?

Old 11-26-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
For the record, I agree with what you're saying... I personally have NEVER complained about this stuff, and couldn't care less about saying, singing, or writing the word Christmas. In fact, I happen to love many Christmas carols and hymns - I'm a musician, and perform in at LEAST 1-2 Christmas concerts a year (usually the Messiah, but I'm doing a private church one this year). Most non-Christians would agree with me, and only want to be slightly more inclusive... add that tiny little menorah, or whatever other cultures you want to represent, and we'll all be happy. Is that so difficult??
Ooh, what do you play? I have seen my mom sing the Messiah many times since I was a kid. That is some Christmas music I don't mind, since I don't hear it every waking hour for months before Christmas.

I am also a musician, as well as a songwriter, though not professional, but that might be the biggest reason for my contempt of the Christmas season. Hearing the same songs over and over, especially the simpler songs, is like nails scraping on chalkboard for me. I do like it when artists write their own Christmas songs, because it's fresh. I can't stand it when people remake the same old carols we've had blasting in our ears for decades. A couple of years ago, I was on a road trip with a good friend who happens to love Christmas carols and she put the radio on the Christmas station, so I spent the whole drive wanting to climb out of my skin (didn't complain though).

Anyway, yes. I am not religious at all, but I am partial to inclusive culture, so I agree that if one religion is on display, all of the major religions should be as well (that would include buddhism, hinduism, Judaism, Islam, and Christianity.)

Old 11-26-2007, 08:35 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

So, anyone who is not xian is a bad person? Who would Jesus say was a "bad" person?
If you really want an answer to that question then why don't you stop by a church one day and find out for yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies