Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2007, 08:52 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times

Advertisements

The War on Christmas is a complete fraud...a defense against an attack that never came. It isn't Christmas or even Christianity that you can't promote in public schools...it's religion. Any religion. And how does Bill O'Reilly (or any of the other bozos behind what is little more than a manipulative right-wing scare-campaign) construe the phrase Happy Holidays not to include Christians who are celebrating Christmas? Look around you for the rest of this month. You won't be able to avoid Christmas even if you try to. The culture will be absolutely saturated in it. If this is the result of a War On Christmas, what would the place look like if a truce were ever to break out? Isn't all this bleating really a little like Bill Gates pleading poverty???

World Religion Miscellany: Even if you lump all of its diverse sects together, only about a third of the world professes to be Christian. There are more Buddhists in the world than there are Protestants. There are ten times as many outright atheists as there are Jews, and the non-religious taken together easily outnumber the Hindus.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
I went to a community holiday gathering. The performers put on a song/dance and one of the songs was Merry Christmas, however they plugged in Happy holidays instead. But didnt hesitate to bring Santa out. Santa is the make believe figure for Christmas...funny huh? Plus big companies have no problem making millions off of us for Christmas, but can't say Merry Christmas.
That is the conundrum with trying to make Christmas a secular holiday.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:23 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The War on Christmas is a complete fraud...a defense against an attack that never came. It isn't Christmas or even Christianity that you can't promote in public schools...it's religion. Any religion. And how does Bill O'Reilly (or any of the other bozos behind what is little more than a manipulative right-wing scare-campaign) construe the phrase Happy Holidays not to include Christians who are celebrating Christmas? Look around you for the rest of this month. You won't be able to avoid Christmas even if you try to. The culture will be absolutely saturated in it. If this is the result of a War On Christmas, what would the place look like if a truce were ever to break out? Isn't all this bleating really a little like Bill Gates pleading poverty???

World Religion Miscellany: Even if you lump all of its diverse sects together, only about a third of the world professes to be Christian. There are more Buddhists in the world than there are Protestants. There are ten times as many outright atheists as there are Jews, and the non-religious taken together easily outnumber the Hindus.
I disagree, there is a "War on Christmas" instigated by intolerant Christians who want to monopolize the holidays. O'Reilly being chief among them. If others do not celebrate Christmas in a manner to the liking of these intolerant Christians, they demonstrate their intolerance and get abusive, attacking those who choose to celebrate the day differently or choose not to celebrate the day at all.

So this is indeed a "war", a war to be free from Christian intolerance and abuse.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:51 AM

497 posts, read 1,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
AND, that is great! No one, least of all me, is suggesting you cannot celebrate this holiday in a secular manner.

What I do suggest however is, you should not expect the vast majority of people change their "ways" to merely accomodate you - IMO, you need to recognize that a majority of people DO CELEBRATE Christmas and quit complaining about it
Exactly!! I don't care if someone wants to celebrate another holiday besides Christmas but don't tell me I can't celebrate Christmas. As Larry the Cable Guy would say "If you don't want to say Merry Christmas then get the heck out of the stores. 50% off and 20% off is for believers of Jesus only!!" I notice the anti-Christmas crowd has no problem taking Christmas day off of work either. Maybe only Christians should be allowed to have Christmas day off from work.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:56 AM

497 posts, read 1,567,354 times
Actually, a really good Christmas album is Aly and AJ's Acoustic Hearts of Winter. I know they are Disney girls but they are really talented and have good voices.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:34 AM

397 posts, read 264,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Exactly!! I don't care if someone wants to celebrate another holiday besides Christmas but don't tell me I can't celebrate Christmas. As Larry the Cable Guy would say "If you don't want to say Merry Christmas then get the heck out of the stores. 50% off and 20% off is for believers of Jesus only!!" I notice the anti-Christmas crowd has no problem taking Christmas day off of work either. Maybe only Christians should be allowed to have Christmas day off from work.

actually you christians can have the 20% and 50% off Christmas sale, and us non christians can have the 75% off after christmas sale, that is what I am really looking forward to, I need a new pair of jeans and some sneakers,,, a winter jacket to now that I think about it, December 26th cant get here soon enough!

And Larry the Cable guy is a moron, I can honestly watch him and not crack a smile, I dont understand the kind of people who get his humor, and I like some redneck humor, Jeff Foxworthy is funny, but Larry the Cable guy and that other guy who tours with him are not funny in the slightest

Old 12-02-2007, 03:00 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
would everyone just have a MOD CUT merry christmas or happy holiday.. sheesh....
as a christian... chistmas is your time to shine... go shine.. and quit worrying about whoever is trying to rain on your damn parade... because its hardly going to happen..
and as a non christian... take the merry christmas as a kind word.. and feel free to extend your own happy merry whatever in response so we all feel better...
seriously... I think everyone understands the dynamics here.. and that its NOT fair.. and that life isn't fair... and that in the private sector.. the majority is just going to be the big influence on things.... (good luck moving to utah and telling the mormons to keep quiet about all their fuss..its just unrealistic) BUT... those on the other end are certainly right in demanding it not be supported by the government or any other entity that is supported by tax dollars...so.. in my opinion everyone that has commented is RIGHT... even though you don't agree with each other.. just accept that you're right.. and lets not bicker anymore about jesus... the poor guy must be scratching the walls of his tomb right about now....:P

Last edited by NewToCA; 12-02-2007 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: language

Old 12-02-2007, 03:27 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,631 times
Quote:
BINGO!

Old 12-02-2007, 04:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Exactly!! I don't care if someone wants to celebrate another holiday besides Christmas but don't tell me I can't celebrate Christmas.
Just who is telling Christians they can't celebrate Christmas?
Quote:
As Larry the Cable Guy would say "If you don't want to say Merry Christmas then get the heck out of the stores. 50% off and 20% off is for believers of Jesus only!!" I notice the anti-Christmas crowd has no problem taking Christmas day off of work either. Maybe only Christians should be allowed to have Christmas day off from work.
Perhaps the "anti-Christmas crowd" is sick of all the fuss.
But I know that some people who do not celebrate the holiday use their time off productively.
Many non-Christians volunteer in hospitals and similar places during Christmas.
Unlike Larry, instead of just *saying* GitRDone, they actually do it. volunteering at Christmas (http://wjz.com/local/2.424739.html - broken link)
Christmas is such a special time; it really makes me sad when I see it flaunted instead of celebrated.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:39 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Exactly!! I don't care if someone wants to celebrate another holiday besides Christmas but don't tell me I can't celebrate Christmas.
No one has, and no one will. Celebrate away in whatever tradition your family finds fitting. The bottom line here is that there is no attack for O'Reilly et al to retalliate against. Do you see reports of department store Santa's being beaten up in parking lots? Any pattern of late-night ritual reindeer killings on the front lawns of Christians? Have any Christmas tree lots been burned to the ground where you live? Face it...the first shot fired in this alleged conflict was O'Reilly claiming out of the blue that there was some sort of War on Christmas going on, and he wasn't going to take it anymore. Prior to that...nada!

It's more likely that what O'Reilly really objects to is that with an increasing diversity of religious views in American society, the Christian religion is slowly losing its exceptionalist status and being asked to share the stage with others. Both fundie Christians and political right-wingers are strong believers in the idea of exceptionalism...THEIR exceptionalism. They believe they are the uniquely right and chosen ones in this world and that The Others (while it isn't always polite to mention it) are members of inferior classes. Ann Coulter's plan to 'perfect' Jewish talk-show hosts is one example of the pattern. These people are of no mind to behave as if the US were just another country or as if Christianity were just another religion. It is being asked to settle for so little as being equal that ticks the exceptionalists off. They're just plain superior according to themselves, and they aren't going to take any of this 'equal' crap lying down. That's about all that the War on Christmas boils down to.

Quote:
As Larry the Cable Guy would say "If you don't want to say Merry Christmas then get the heck out of the stores. 50% off and 20% off is for believers of Jesus only!!"
See what I mean???

So have a Happy Holiday, and if it's Christmas for you, then have as Merry a freakin' Christmas as you want. Ain't nobody's business but your own. And likewise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies