Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2007, 01:41 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,310,711 times

Advertisements

Pittnurse, if I know someone's religion, it's usually the christians, and most of them (the ones whose religious beliefs I do know) do behave in that manner. I'm sure there are many christians who do not foist their religion on others but the self-professed ones seem to enjoy the baiting and superiority. You're probably right about the "some christians" but they are the vocal ones that the entire belief system is judged on.

Pittnurse, try reading what I wrote. MOST OF THE ONES WHOSE RELIGIOUS BELIEFS I KNOW. I did not say most christians. Because, and logic will support this, I DO NOT KNOW MOST CHRISTIANS. But, read whatever you want, because it doesn't matter what I write. Are you being purposely obtuse? Sheesh.

I'm very grateful that I'm off to a non-christian country tomorrow for the holidays.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:33 AM

397 posts, read 264,963 times
if Jesus actually existed I wonder if he though his little group would still be going around causing controversy 2007 years later

Old 11-30-2007, 04:24 AM

30,395 posts, read 52,006,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
Also, about sending 20,000 trees to a desert for the troops...I agree that it's a good idea to cheer them up, but that's such a waste. Maybe they should go home to be with their families for the holidays instead.
I'll give you a big AMEN for that...

At the very least, we should send a more appropriate and useful gift - sweets and books, perhaps?

Old 11-30-2007, 04:50 AM

497 posts, read 1,568,493 times
This is an e-mail that was sent out by Father John Corapi. He has a program on EWTN and is a very excellent speaker. He tells it like it is and doesn't mince words. This is what he said about the "Happy Holidays" topic...

Yes, believe it or not, it’s almost that time of year again, the time the secular world refers to as the “HOLIDAYS”. I have a very simple suggestion for you this year. Actually, you can use it every year. It’s that good.

Change a couple of letters and a whole lot of meaning. Simply change
“h o l i d a y s” into “h o l y d a y s”. That’s how the words started out before we tried to drain the spiritual meaning out of them.

I assure you that if they were kept as HOLY DAYS instead of HOLIDAYS, there would be a lot less stress, depression, and financial trauma in the last quarter of the year. Starting with Thanksgiving, and then leading into the holy seasons of Advent and Christmas, we need to emphasize the HOLY in these HOLY DAYS.

A great preparation for Christmas, or even Advent (which in itself is a preparation), is to use Thanksgiving as a holy time to first of all thank God for all He has given us. Now, you have heard this before of course, but why not really make a serious effort to offer thanks seriously this time. The highest THANKSGIVING ever offered is the holy Eucharist (means “to give thanks”). It is the offering of the sacrifice of the Son (the same sacrifice of Calvary) to the Father in atonement for sin. The holy Eucharist is the highest form of Thanksgiving. So, on Thanksgiving Day go to Mass, thank God for all He has given us, especially the gift of His only Son, crucified and risen. This is simple enough, but HUGE! Please, everyone, go to Mass this Thanksgiving.

This is a great way to begin preparation for the coming of the Christ Child on Christmas. The preparation continues during Advent, a holy time, and is consummated on the great and HOLY DAY of Christmas. If we would do this I assure you we would be moved more in the direction of putting God first, those more needy than ourselves second, and ourselves last. Teach your children about the HOLY DAYS, not the HOLIDAYS. They will be much the better for it. I’d like to see them give half of what they get at Christmas to the poor and needy. Why not teach them? If you don’t do it, and now, who will?

GOD BLESS YOU
Father John Corapi

Old 11-30-2007, 05:14 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,310,711 times
Fine for the catholics and christians, but there are many of us who go the other way. The secular way.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:29 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,293,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Fine for the catholics and christians, but there are many of us who go the other way. The secular way.
AND, that is great! No one, least of all me, is suggesting you cannot celebrate this holiday in a secular manner.

What I do suggest however is, you should not expect the vast majority of people change their "ways" to merely accomodate you - IMO, you need to recognize that a majority of people DO CELEBRATE Christmas and quit complaining about it

Old 11-30-2007, 05:32 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,685,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'll give you a big AMEN for that...

At the very least, we should send a more appropriate and useful gift - sweets and books, perhaps?
I must say that when my husband was fighting a war he was sent too.
The little tree in his tent, made everyone there happy. It made everyone smile. The boys will love the trees, no doubt of that.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:04 AM

I really don't know why someone who doesn't like Christmas would even bother coming on here to post.
Their little words are not going to change hundreds of years of history.
Some people act like "they are so, so, offended"....They are offended!
And yet they say,"Lets just get RID of the National Holdiay for Xmas"
And yet they say, "Xians insist on outward display" A word never used in my lifetime or my parents lifetime. That word in itself is an insult, for being written in such form.
Who says, " A war that Xians are fighting".........
I am not fighting a War.
I am..........in Celebration, of a historic family Holiday, called Christmas.
No one has to join me. No one has to even take the time to acknowledge my holiday.
It is the majority of the peoples on this earths special day. It will stay that way.
All I can suggest is that others, who do not wish to have this day.
Do your own thing. Make your own festive day, or perhaps.......go into a room with a good book that day, and close up. Then again..............
Your Holiday can be all you want it to be too. Go for it, promote it, make it BIG.
As far as all year........I try my best to help others all year long.......as most of us I'm sure truely try to do. Random acts of kindness, are always the right thing to do.
But, Christmas is very, very, special. As others say, who are not even religious. It is a day of warm fires, good food, a gathering of family and friends, togetherness.
A day to remember, those who made this holiday have meaning for us in years past.
It is a day of memories. Big, beautiful memories.
Today I go into the woods to lug my tree home before this weekends storm.
Another memory in the works.........
Get "rid" of this "holiday" as someone said here. That will never happen.
Just go your own way, have your own fun and enjoyment.......or none.( thats an option)
But it is and it always will be. Since the Star led the Wisemen to the Manger......and forevermore.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:14 PM

I know, I know...........Your all out getting your Christmas Trees.........OR
You've spent the day decorating, going to the Mall, or wrapping.
So quiet here in the Christmas thread, I'm going to have to go now to turn on "Bing"
( alright, Old, but even my daughters like his singing of Christmas...its memories I think)

Old 11-30-2007, 04:27 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,479,162 times
As I recall, it is the Christains who are getting offended by the use of "Happy Holidays", not the other way around. I haven't heard of anyone complaining that someone told them to have a "Merry Christmas."

If you are one of those Christians who gets offended when someone wishes you a "Happy Holidays", get over it. First of all, the person wishing you a "Happy Holidays" may not know (or care) your religion. Secondly, they are still wishing you to be happy and only the most stuck-up intolerant jerk could take offense at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies