Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:34 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Exhibit A in why the words "freedom" and "liberty" have become warning signs for those of us on the left. People use them like this as exclusionary words to demean, dismiss and marginalize American citizens who don't agree with them politically.

In an earlier post I also mentioned that the word "patriot" is often used in the same way.

And all over this thread the cons say they don't understand why symbols like the Gadsden flag, or words like these, say something very different to the left than to the right.

We learn from your behavior. Simple.

Like I said, Exhibit A.

No jmqueen, I mean what I say. Quit trying to spin it! My take on that flag represents, freedom, liberty, individualism, and more importantly staying the f*** out of people's business! Furthermore, since when did it become against the law in the United States of America to disagree with the politics of other fellow Americans! Oh yeah that's right, according to progs, disagreement automatically equals hate! Funny I didn't know the definition was of "disagree" was changed! But progs are good at changing the meanings of words!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
My heart hurts reading this thread.

Americans who value individualism, live and let live, are doomsday nuts, preppers and racists?

Is a single one of you here truly tolerant of different belief systems?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Indeed! My heart is on the ground, as well. This flag was a well thought out scheme of color and symbol. But, the REAL history and meaning of it is being hijacked by extreme left and right. Its message was clear. "Don't Tread on Me". With the rattler for emphasis. "We have had enough of being RULED" We will be HEARD" "Ignore this...and we WILL bite".

American colonists endured an oppression of liberty we, in these times, cannot fathom. Yet, since it was so long ago, we should forget it? "Those who fail to learn the lessons of History, are doomed to repeat it"!

And so, a treasured symbol, the FIRST American flag, is turned into a symbol as reviled as the swastika of the Third Reich. That's flat criminal!!! Again, the men who gave their lives under this flag deserve far better than for their banner to be so defiled. Yes, it was long ago, but does that diminish tbeir courage and resolve? That they were willing to give their very lives, for the futures of people they would never know? The level of commitment and pure courage, represented by this flag, is so cheapened by some of the comments I have seen here, as to make me physically ill.

to both of you!

Old 08-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,920,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Indeed! My heart is on the ground, as well. This flag was a well thought out scheme of color and symbol. But, the REAL history and meaning of it is being hijacked by extreme left and right. Its message was clear. "Don't Tread on Me". With the rattler for emphasis. "We have had enough of being RULED" We will be HEARD" "Ignore this...and we WILL bite".

American colonists endured an oppression of liberty we, in these times, cannot fathom. Yet, since it was so long ago, we should forget it? "Those who fail to learn the lessons of History, are doomed to repeat it"!

And so, a treasured symbol, the FIRST American flag, is turned into a symbol as reviled as the swastika of the Third Reich. That's flat criminal!!! Again, the men who gave their lives under this flag deserve far better than for their banner to be so defiled. Yes, it was long ago, but does that diminish tbeir courage and resolve? That they were willing to give their very lives, for the futures of people they would never know? The level of commitment and pure courage, represented by this flag, is so cheapened by some of the comments I have seen here, as to make me physically ill.
Perhaps you can make an effort to explain how people living in the United States are currently being oppressed. And not just with trite phrases like vague invocations of liberty and freedom or statements of opinion. I am talking about tangible, concrete examples of real oppression that is being protested by the current display of this flag.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:44 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
No jmqueen, I mean what I say. Quit trying to spin it! My take on that flag represents, freedom, liberty, individualism, and more importantly staying the f*** out of people's business! Furthermore, since when did it become against the law in the United States of America to disagree with the politics of other fellow Americans! Oh yeah that's right, according to progs, disagreement automatically equals hate! Funny I didn't know the definition was of "disagree" was changed! But progs are good at changing the meanings of words!
Quote:
Statists tend to hate symbols that tend to represent freedom and liberty. They then like to move the goal posts, and then make up a bunch of lies and baseless ASSumptions and the use of insults for anyone who doesn't buy into their BS!

Your post was intended to be nasty. How did I twist it? You yourself said, "I mean what I say." Therefore you fully intended to demean, dismiss and marginalize people who disagree with you, and to use otherwise noble words to do it.

Understood.

Of course, if you wish to do so, you can't pretend to be surprised when those people you are trying to demean then take those words you use to mean something demeaning.

(And where did I say it was against the law??? Oh, that's right, I didn't -- you just made that up to further demean "progs.")

Old 08-20-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
So you fully intend to demean, dismiss and marginalize people who disagree with you, and to use otherwise noble words to do it.

Understood.

Of course, if you wish to do so, you can't pretend to be surprised when those people you are trying to demean then take those words you use to mean something demeaning.

(And where did I say it was against the law??? Oh, that's right, I didn't -- you just made that up to further demean "progs.")

Moving the goal posts again I see.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:47 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Quote:
Hardly. Just calling you out for doing exactly what you intended to do.

Unless, of course, you truly do believe that this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan
Statists tend to hate symbols that tend to represent freedom and liberty. They then like to move the goal posts, and then make up a bunch of lies and baseless ASSumptions and the use of insults for anyone who doesn't buy into their BS!
was intended as a compliment.

Nice deflection attempt, though.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:47 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,094 times
what does the Gadsden flag aka don't tread on me flag mean to you?

don't tread on me or I'll teabag you

Old 08-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,920,852 times
Quote:
Since you claim to love this flag so much, maybe you can explain the reasons that people have decided to display it recently as some form of protest. What specific actions of the government are you or they protesting? In what tangible way is the current government "treading on you"?

If this flag is so special and is such an important symbol surely you can explain what specific grievances it is being used to protest, right?

Old 08-20-2013, 10:56 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Perhaps you can make an effort to explain how people living in the United States are currently being oppressed. And not just with trite phrases like vague invocations of liberty and freedom or statements of opinion. I am talking about tangible, concrete examples of real oppression that is being protested by the current display of this flag.
Perhaps you should explain to me how I am obligated, in any way, to "explain" anything to you? I have outlined my views, plainly, and cannot speak to the views you ask me to. They are not mine, so WHY (I hate tbis word in this context, and it is used to emphasize my point) do you ask me to even comment on tbem?

What someone else sees in this flag may or may not gell with my own take. My heartburn with this lies in the desacration of our HISTORY. And with the memory of the people who first hoisted it and what they fought and died for.

I sure as Hell feel no obligation to help you feed an agenda by commenting on views not my own. Nice try. Bait someone else.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Hardly. Just calling you out for doing exactly what you intended to do.

Unless, of course, you truly do believe that this:

was intended as a compliment.

Nice deflection attempt, though.

And what was it that I intended to do? Since you're so all knowing, do enlighten us. Explain exactly how I'm seeking to demean or marginalize others? The ideals of freedom, liberty, individualism and personal accountability are what was the basis of what founded this nation! How is that demeaning anyone? And then you turn around and try and compare the Gadsden Flag to that of a swastika? How on God's green Earth did you come up with that assertion? The swastika is a symbol of oppression, and bigotry. The other is the complete opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies