Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 12:04 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Isn't it the voters fault for putting idiots in charge of writing laws, thus allowing corruption and mismanagement to thrive without oversight? Or is it really the school of "I didn't know it was wrong because nobody told me" governance? The first ones out the door when fire starts are the arsons. Politicians make bad laws, backroom deals, and pander to corporations knowing full well the sh|t will hit the fan long after they're gone. IF it happens too fast, they simply retire early or step down without repercussion.

Gray Davis is a prime example of corruption and collusion going unpunished. Enron executives joked that their goal was to steal everything and bankrupt California. We're still paying for that damned operation and Davis' stupidity.

The taxpayer is always the scapegoat, and California taxpayers especially.
The "stupidity" was in the energy "deregulation" bill enacted prior to Davis becoming Governor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 12:12 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Been here a long time, I have no problem with it, this states problems have not really affected me yet and i don't dwell over them either. One life to live, get on with it.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:39 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Been here a long time, I have no problem with it, this states problems have not really affected me yet and i don't dwell over them either. One life to live, get on with it.
That's so pragmatic of you. If it doesn't affect you, ignore it.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I can relate. My wife's mother is 90 and we can't leave Calif. till she passes either. After that "we're outta here". I don't wish to go down with the sinking ship.
I can relate as well. My wife's mother passed away at 87 six months after I retired. That left us free to leave the state a few month later.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:46 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I can relate as well. My wife's mother passed away at 87 six months after I retired. That left us free to leave the state a few month later.
Excellent! Another Calif. escapee. I also will join the ranks one day.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
The "stupidity" was in the energy "deregulation" bill enacted prior to Davis becoming Governor.
Davis was Jerry Brown's Chief of Staff for 8 years. He was State Controller and Lt Gov. under Pete Wilson. HE was one of the architects of deregulation. The divestiture of generation took place in 98 with him firmly in the control room.

Wholesale prices were deregulated in 2000... and guess who the Governor was!

Old 08-27-2013, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Excellent! Another Calif. escapee. I also will join the ranks one day.
It does my soul good to see there are still people who place their obligations ahead of their wants.

@Curmudgeon where did you move to?

I think Prescott AZ is probably where we'll end up. AZ is where my paternal family comes from. I have an Octoroon Great Grandfather and Grand Uncle who were miners there in the 1860s, and actually lived in Wyatt Earp's house. Funny how we end up where we began sometimes.

Last edited by steven_h; 08-27-2013 at 01:10 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 02:20 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
It does my soul good to see there are still people who place their obligations ahead of their wants.

SW Missouri Ozarks. It's where we both wanted to end up and here we are. In four years we've not had a moment's regret.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:25 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon

I think Prescott AZ is probably where we'll end up. AZ is where my paternal family comes from. I have an Octoroon Great Grandfather and Grand Uncle who were miners there in the 1860s, and actually lived in Wyatt Earp's house. Funny how we end up where we began sometimes.
Yes, Prescott is very nice. As for me, we have family in the Pacific Northwest and I have a few places in mind up there.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:08 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
While California has a severe problem with waste and excessive spending, Prop 13 has to go if the state is to have any future. Without it, real estate bubbles will be prevented and the states' finances will be more secure.

Note that Texas and other red states tend to have high property taxes and low or nonexistent taxes of other varieties, and they are more economically stable.

I would repeal Prop 13 but eliminate the sales tax - that would do far more for the California economy. CA property taxes are way too low and its sales taxes are way too high.

Ideally, property taxes should be the only state taxes, although this is not feasible for a state like California.
Prop 13 is the only thing keeping this sinking ship upright. When they end prop 13 you will see an exodus from this state that will be its death blow. It will be Detroit with sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies